U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 10,389,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontucky View Post
yes, that does sound ridiculous.
lmao
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,747,702 times
Everywhere has positives and negatives - personally, I'll take the small chance of an earthquake at some point in the near or distant future over the absolute certainty of hurricanes (southeast), extreme cold (midwest and northeast), terrible heat and humidity (south).

Presuming there's somewhere in the world with the perfect climate and no risks, the desirability of that place will have made it prohibitively expensive.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 PM

2,967 posts, read 2,316,321 times
maybe try praying harder?

sure God is vengeful, but I'm pretty sure he listens at least part of the time

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM

3,667 posts, read 4,610,348 times
I've been in 8 or 10 earthquakes. They're not the end of the world.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

77 posts, read 201,025 times
haha oh wow, hey- how is Eureka CA? I've always wondered.. You are way up at that tip, just before oregon right?

Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
Quote:
I want to get Married & have kids- start a family. I want to do something bout it now so my family & I will be safe, generations & generations down the line.

Generations and generations down the line are not your concern. Nobody is going to stay put because their great-great-christianguitarist27 thought it was "safe".

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM

3,668 posts, read 6,835,888 times
The only reason it sounds rediculous is because you say you are leaving to get away from the earthquakes. This is based on fear of the unknown rather than on factual evidence and the unlikelyhood of you ever being seriously injured or killed by an earthquake in CA. Just be aware that there are other things which present a more clear and present danger to you and your potential families' health such driving a car or eating junk food on a regular basis. Statistics show that those things will kill you far before another natural disaster will such a volcanic erruption in the PNW, a tornado in the MidWest or an earthquake in CA.

Now, that said, you are young and have your whole life ahead of you. You can work through the internet. So why not go out and explore this great nation? It will be a good experience and will help you appreciate the positive qualities of your home state once you do. We did it with the birth of our third child and picked Colorado. I'm glad we did it along with other family members who made the migration. Its fun to experience a different way of life.

But while people aren't in fear of earthquakes in CO, snow, blake ice, freezing rain, lightning, powerfull wind (near tornado force), baseball sized hail and bitter cold do kill every year. We just heard form some relatives in Denver today and it got down to -15F. California is like a tame bunny by comparison after living in both places.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-02-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM

129 posts, read 156,024 times
What about car accidents and random acts of violence? Those things can happen no matter where you live. NO place is 100% safe and as my dad always says "no one gets out of life alive."

Old 02-03-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Generations and generations down the line are not your concern. Nobody is going to stay put because their great-great-christianguitarist27 thought it was "safe".
Dude, yes they do. I mean I don't know what it's like anywhere else.

But here in Southern California. Almost everyone I know, everyone I've grown up with- even the people I meet today (I'm 24.) Were all born here, don't ever talk about moving, and their parents are from here & so on... & so on... Most people I know have never lived anywhere else etc..

I mean, Maybe that's unusual. Maybe other places have people coming & going all the time. But like everyone in my neighborhood, just Everyone! is from here. At school, growing up, high school, middle school, Elementary.. The teacher never brought up a "New Student" & Said "Everyone, this is Tomy- his family just moved here from Colorado, I want us all to give him an extra worm welcome ok..." etc.. Just Everyone is from here bro.

When I worked in the film business in Santa Monica- there was a grip of people from all over the world, But they were coming here- not leaving here. And that's only cause Santa Monica/Hollywood is the "Hub" for Film production & post production. So if they wanted to pursue their Career it's pretty necessary to move here or NY. I think it's Houston, Dalls, NY, Hollywood & Ontario all the Film Hubs.

Anyway bro, I'm not saying I can make that happen. But as far as I know, it looks like people kinda stick around to the place they grow up at or something. I dunno dude.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 AM

I know man, well hey guys look. Not sure how much it matters, but I also have O.C.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.) You can look it up if you want.

Years ago if I said O.C.D. No one knew what it was. Now because of several Documentaries on TV- a lot of people are aware of it. And even more, now when I tell people I have it. They go "Oh So do I!" And no they don't bro.. To this day, I have not met anyone in person that actually had O.C.D.

They always say they have O.C.D. Cause they keep things neat, or "I have to have my desk Organized! If some one comes & messes it up, I will fix it!" I am so messy bro.

My bad, I know this is off topic- & knowing how proactive that Moderator is, this part may get deleted. But, If you looked it up- you'd find that it kind of makes you Paranoid of stuff. People with OCD think of all kinds of things, all kinds of possibilities. I've Read a lot people with OCD are above average intelligence because of the required complicated thinking patterns. I dunno.. I'm a Business owner & my Favorite subject is Math. But- I think about like Germs & crap. At restaurants I eat w/plastic forks (that they have there.) I think like- "Man, imagine how many mouths this fork has been in." then I'll keep going, And then imagine, the guy working in the back- that dude that just don't give a crap, probably making $8/hour, probably back there having a conversation about how drunk he was the other day- Is he really paying that good attention to scrubbing these Forks? Imagine if he skipped one by mistake etc.. And all those thoughts come faster then I can even read this out loud- Seriously!

Like no one over here is Concerned about this whole thing, but for some reason I'm almost obsessed with it now. And you'll also read- even though People with O.C.D. Realize their Actions, their Fears are just Ridiculous, they simply can not help it, they can not stop! They have to do these things to relieve that Anxiety.

Anyway, I'm sure all this typing will get deleted anyway. Just a quicky explanation for why I think I'm so concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California