Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:08 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I seem to also remember Rileys stores at University Square and in Morro Bay.

Again different customer markets and different business plans.

People make different choices, that is why every restaurant is not Taco Bell (see the movie Demolition Man for the reference ).

Doesn't mean one store prevents the other. Rather that Forever 21 sees enough profit in what they currently do in SLO.

But Macys analysis is that they should invest their new store money in other regions (Chicago and Milwaukee so far this year) that they think will do better for them than SLO.

I just don't see the city allowing construction of an 80,000 sq ft store downtown (if I remember right that is about the size of the entire Downtown Center complex that Copelands built). A single store that size is out of scale for the downtown SLO area.

But, downtown SLO used to be unique to shop but is now becoming loaded with chain stores. My wife and I as visitors see no reason to spend money at the same stores we have at home. We instead spend close to home if we want to shop those same chain stores. (on recent trips nearly all of our spending including on clothing was in the local independent stores in those areas, not the chains we see at home) Fewer local stores in downtown SLO means fewer reasons for us to even visit and shop in the remaining local downtown stores.

Doesn't mean locals don't benefit from access to chain brands opening in different SLO centers. But why should we waste our vacation time and vacation money at a SLO store when we have the same store at home? That means less outside money is spent adding to the SLO city and county economy.
I wasn't inferring they build a large Forever 21 in downtown, just their normal size small store.

I think Macy's isn't investing in just that one area, it's just they are expanding where they don't have a pressence yet. SLO is one market where they don't have a pressence. And from what I read, they are only looking for old buildings to take over.

And I went into Forever 21 today with a friend to just see how dead it was, and it VERY dead. I think their parking lot gets used mostly for people at Tahoe Joes and Hometown Buffet ha ha.

I agree I am done seeing chains go into downtown SLO, but it will continue to happen as Chinatown goes in because like Chipotle and Habit and Sprint they went into the Anderson Hotel redevelopment. Chains like the new or redeveloped buildings.

And Sprint, Chipotle, and Habit are doing very well in SLO.

Downtown doesnt have that many chains right now anyways. Barnes N Nobles, Gap, Sunglass Hut, Express, Solstice Sunglasses, Apple, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie and Fitch, Sport's Authority, Talbots, Chicos, Sephora, Ross, Sprint, Verizon, AT & T, California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotle, and Habit.

And all of those are for the college kids and locals. There are still plenty of local places that have been opening like the italian place that expanded from Pismo Beach and the coffee shops. And Kreuzberg which is a local coffee shop is expanding. Nautical Bean which is next to Spencer's Market also expanded into downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:
Downtown doesnt have that many chains right now anyways. Barnes N Nobles, Gap, Sunglass Hut, Express, Solstice Sunglasses, Apple, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie and Fitch, Sport's Authority, Talbots, Chicos, Sephora, Ross, Sprint, Verizon, AT & T, California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotle, and Habit.
So, you say there aren't that many chains downtown right now? But then you list 19!!!! You probably forgot Starbucks, there must be a Starbucks downtown.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM

388 posts, read 848,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
So, you say there aren't that many chains downtown right now? But then you list 19!!!! You probably forgot Starbucks, there must be a Starbucks downtown.
And a Jamba Juice, if I recall.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I wasn't inferring they build a large Forever 21 in downtown, just their normal size small store.
The large sized stores are the new normal for Forever 21. They still do a few new stores in the 15,000 to 20,000 sq ft range (still a big size for downtown SLO) but most openings are now the large dept store sized format stores.

I guess there is a slight possibility they could downsize say by 1/4 or 1/2 staying in the same building with it remodeled to allow a second retailer, but that second store would not be Macy's. In San Mateo an old Mervyns is being split up into a 52,000 sq ft F21 plus Cheesecake Factory and H&M all in the same building.
Quote:
I think Macy's isn't investing in just that one area, it's just they are expanding where they don't have a pressence yet. SLO is one market where they don't have a pressence.
They are expanding in areas where they can leverage existing customers. The new stores I mentioned are in areas where people already are driving a little further to existing stores. They just are adding a location closer to where some existing customers live.

Retailers analyze where current customers are living, not just where they do not have a presence. Companies analyze zip code info from credit card purchases, website orders, store card holders, etc.

If SLO residents are not shopping at the Santa Maria (like you've said) or other Macy's stores and are not buying from Macy's online then it just looks to their company like there is little to no demand for their products in your area.
Quote:
And I went into Forever 21 today with a friend to just see how dead it was, and it VERY dead.
I don't think visiting the store when 3/4s of Cal Poly students are gone for the summer will give a good idea of how the store does the other 3 seasons.
Quote:
Chains like the new or redeveloped buildings.
No not they "like" them, the chains will pay the higher rents of new and redone buildings. Seismic retrofit costs on old buildings usually make the owner raise the rent and the smaller stores no longer will pay it. You'll see more local stores leave downtown when they move out of other buildings being retrofitted too. Most local stores won't return to downtown when the building is finished either, the rent will be too high.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
And a Jamba Juice, if I recall.
And Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, Takken's (all over California), Beverly's Fabrics, Bath and Body Works, Foster's Freeze, Cold Stone, Peet's, Powell's, Rocky Mountain Chocolate, Subway, and Patrick James (15 store Fresno based chain).

Plus smaller stores with locations in both SLO and Fresno like Roxanne's Birkenstock and Kwirkworld.

That is 34 chains (we might still be missing some) plus a couple of smaller with stores in my area too, that's a mall that could be found in any city.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Dang FresnoFacts, you know a lot more about downtown SLO than I do, and I am only a few miles away... guess I don't get out much. I was in the Apple store last September.....

I guess I figured out why we are doing so well financially although we have little income. We don't buy stuff we don't need.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,146 times
Quote:
Dang FresnoFacts, you know a lot more about downtown SLO than I do, and I am only a few miles away... guess I don't get out much. I was in the Apple store last September.....

I guess I figured out why we are doing so well financially although we have little income. We don't buy stuff we don't need.
Lived in SLO County for a while many moons ago. I can still sometimes walk downtown on a Thursday night and run into someone I know. I visit old friends often and try to keep up a little by noticing the changes.

We're like you in some ways though, we don't spend a lot on things even though we do look around a lot and could afford to spend more.

My wife and I were both raised with old style money values. My philosophy is its not how much I earn but how much of the paycheck I can keep.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The large sized stores are the new normal for Forever 21. They still do a few new stores in the 15,000 to 20,000 sq ft range (still a big size for downtown SLO) but most openings are now the large dept store sized format stores.

I guess there is a slight possibility they could downsize say by 1/4 or 1/2 staying in the same building with it remodeled to allow a second retailer, but that second store would not be Macy's. In San Mateo an old Mervyns is being split up into a 52,000 sq ft F21 plus Cheesecake Factory and H&M all in the same building.

They are expanding in areas where they can leverage existing customers. The new stores I mentioned are in areas where people already are driving a little further to existing stores. They just are adding a location closer to where some existing customers live.

Retailers analyze where current customers are living, not just where they do not have a presence. Companies analyze zip code info from credit card purchases, website orders, store card holders, etc.

If SLO residents are not shopping at the Santa Maria (like you've said) or other Macy's stores and are not buying from Macy's online then it just looks to their company like there is little to no demand for their products in your area.

I don't think visiting the store when 3/4s of Cal Poly students are gone for the summer will give a good idea of how the store does the other 3 seasons.

No not they "like" them, the chains will pay the higher rents of new and redone buildings. Seismic retrofit costs on old buildings usually make the owner raise the rent and the smaller stores no longer will pay it. You'll see more local stores leave downtown when they move out of other buildings being retrofitted too. Most local stores won't return to downtown when the building is finished either, the rent will be too high.

And Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, Takken's (all over California), Beverly's Fabrics, Bath and Body Works, Foster's Freeze, Cold Stone, Peet's, Powell's, Rocky Mountain Chocolate, Subway, and Patrick James (15 store Fresno based chain).

Plus smaller stores with locations in both SLO and Fresno like Roxanne's Birkenstock and Kwirkworld.

That is 34 chains (we might still be missing some) plus a couple of smaller with stores in my area too, that's a mall that could be found in any city.
I think SLO County shoppers in Paso and north go to Salinas Macy's and SLO and south go to Santa Barbara Macy's. I know the Santa Maria mall is sketchy so I wouldnt be surprised if some people avoid it. Im sure we have alot of online shoppers.

Forever 21 does not own the building I think. There are several places in downtown where they could find an opening. Also, Borders is closing. Forever 21 could take over that spot and allow Macy's to take over the department store space. Rumors has it anyways that a clothing store is looking into Borders spot. This comes from a Borders employee.

Macy's in Santa Maria says Macy's has been looking for a location in SLO. They said that they are close to finding a spot. My guess is that Forever 21 location.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 AM

388 posts, read 848,844 times
Quote:
I think SLO County shoppers in Paso and north go to Salinas Macy's and SLO and south go to Santa Barbara Macy's. I know the Santa Maria mall is sketchy so I wouldnt be surprised if some people avoid it. Im sure we have alot of online shoppers.

Forever 21 does not own the building I think. There are several places in downtown where they could find an opening. Also, Borders is closing. Forever 21 could take over that spot and allow Macy's to take over the department store space. Rumors has it anyways that a clothing store is looking into Borders spot. This comes from a Borders employee.

Macy's in Santa Maria says Macy's has been looking for a location in SLO. They said that they are close to finding a spot. My guess is that Forever 21 location.
Well I certainly give you an A+ for your dogged persistence!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM

So the two towns with an overwhelming abundance of a certain ethnic group have a Macy's and SLO overwhelmingly anglo, doesn't.

I never did think of Macy's as upscale, seems we have evidence.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 AM

168 posts, read 554,239 times
Like I said before.. Macy's has not point here. Have you been into a Banana Republic? Everything that a Macy's Men section has to offer minus the 40+ year conservative look.

I'm sure Macy's in Santa Maria will tell you anything just to see that 25% coupon in your hand and those DKNY jeans fly off the shelf...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California