Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,019 times

Advertisements

So I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my family. We'll be moving from South Minneapolis, a very cultural and ethnic community close to the heart of Minneapolis but with a high crime rate. We are not a wealthy family by far, in fact we can only get by with help from the government. Anyways, we are moving to be closer to family in Palm Springs but need to be close enough to Los Angeles for me to attend roller derby practices about three or four times a week. Our family consists of my 40 year old mother, my 4 year old brother, and myself at age 18. Basically we just need to be close enough to Palm Springs to visit family very often, and close enough to Los Angeles that I could hold a job and still attend practices and start school at Aveda in LA as well. (Palm Springs is 2 hours away, so factor in a two hour drive, two hour practice, and two hour drive back... that's a lot of time that i cannot work or go to school.) Other then that the only requirement that our family asks for is a laid back community. We don't do well in pomous and snooty neighborhoods, we fit in much better in more alternative and activist welcoming communities.

I'm not sure if a neighborhood perfect for us would even exist, but here's to hoping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 AM

7,704 posts, read 12,538,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDolly View Post
So I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my family. We'll be moving from South Minneapolis, a very cultural and ethnic community close to the heart of Minneapolis but with a high crime rate. We are not a wealthy family by far, in fact we can only get by with help from the government. Anyways, we are moving to be closer to family in Palm Springs but need to be close enough to Los Angeles for me to attend roller derby practices about three or four times a week. Our family consists of my 40 year old mother, my 4 year old brother, and myself at age 18. Basically we just need to be close enough to Palm Springs to visit family very often, and close enough to Los Angeles that I could hold a job and still attend practices and start school at Aveda in LA as well. (Palm Springs is 2 hours away, so factor in a two hour drive, two hour practice, and two hour drive back... that's a lot of time that i cannot work or go to school.) Other then that the only requirement that our family asks for is a laid back community. We don't do well in pomous and snooty neighborhoods, we fit in much better in more alternative and activist welcoming communities.

I'm not sure if a neighborhood perfect for us would even exist, but here's to hoping!
You should check out the inland empire. San Bernardino County area. NOT San Bernardino however. Great cities between Palm Springs and Los Angeles that I would recommend are Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Claremont, Montclair, & Fontana. All equally good. Family friendly. Away from the drama and crime of San Bernardino. From those cities to Palm Springs or Los Angeles is somewhere around an hour for each. But it's right smack dab in the middle just like you desired and they are some of the nicest and most laid back towns in SB county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California