U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 AM

47,317 posts, read 37,313,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Ouch!

20. Bakersfield
18. Salinas
17. Fresno
9. Vallejo
5. Sacramento
4. Modesto
3. Merced
1. Stockton

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com
these stupid studies are just that, stupid. Wait until the next one comes out in about a month of so.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM

2,671 posts, read 1,997,453 times
the only thing I see wrong with that list is Sac

and Bakersfield should be in the top 5

Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,022,920 times
Some of you guys are hilarious. Every time there is a list released that shows the positive side of some of California's cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, or San Diego -- it is valid. But when a city like Sacramento is in the top 5 of most miserable cities from California, it's invalid.

Sane and realistic posters on this forum take any polls with a grain of salt.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,302,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Look up the definition of "gloating" ... nothing I have or have accomplished in life -- absolutely nothing -- was ever gained at the expense of anyone else ... I am a [combat] disabled veteran, who raised a large family, taught school, and ran businesses, volunteered coaching youth for years and years, engaged in community projects, attended as a volunteer to the sick and dying on numerous long and painful journeys, and so forth -- all while living a seriously minimalist lifestyle ... I built my own cabin on the waterfront without any help of any kind and in spite of my physical limitations. You want to call that crowing, you betcha ... and the whole point is that I did it without taking advantage of anyone's misfortune -- and certainly without laughing at others in the process.
I was just making a observation, I could care less, just I saw you kind of judging that guy, and that wasn't cool. Then you come back saying you did all this stuff that would qualify you for like sainthood, when your last post made you sound like a 6 year old bragging about his toys while talking down to the other guy for making some money.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 PM

1,342 posts, read 741,493 times
I haven't even been to California and I know for a fact this list is bull****.

If you want to put anyplace in the Top 20, throw in 8 from South FL.. Many cities there are deserving of it.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't believe rankings by publications like USNews and World Report and Forbes. The only way to determine whether a city has certain qualities is to live there for yourself. I don't put any stock in this list.

100% right. I can tell you from all the places I been that at least a few of those make the list. As far as all these other cities listed from CA, am definitely not positive. I can tell you that a few cities in South FL easily make the list and a few do in PA surely. I just have a hard time believing a top 20 most depressing city list has 8 from CA. Perhaps a few though.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,514,953 times
Forbes just doesn't like Liberals so he constantly makes stuff up about California and the North East. He and his magazine are both jokes.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 PM

20 posts, read 36,243 times
I was born and raised near Stockton and I have to say, Stockton is a dump... I lived around there for over 20 years before I woke up and drove out of there to more famous cities, like Sacramento and San Francisco.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Forbes just doesn't like Liberals so he constantly makes stuff up about California and the North East. He and his magazine are both jokes.

Yea it has to be. It seems like a very bias list since theres way worse often times.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 PM

981 posts, read 838,208 times
Merced isn't that bad, I actually like the town. Oh well my voice is small compared to forbes but at least those clowns got Bakersfield on the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California