Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
My self and others absolutely love this list YEAHHHH Stockton is number 1. Makes picking up rentals/flips very easy. Hope this trend lasts a few more years I'll be able to retire by 60.
Yeah. The American dream. Profit from the misfortunes of others and thoroughly enjoy the prospects. How commendable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah. The American dream. Profit from the misfortunes of others and thoroughly enjoy the prospects. How commendable!
Spoken like a true servant of the people. LOL

Your horse seems a little high. Misfortunes or greed and bad judgement.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true servant of the people. LOL

Your horse seems a little high. Misfortunes or greed and bad judgement.

" ... greed and bad judgment." ... hmmm, that might easily refer better to those on Wall St. and in the mortgage industry that started this mess -- than to the "small people", bumbling worker-bees just trying to have a piece of the pie being waved under their noses, unsophisticated in the world of finance, no?

(Nice ride, Curmudgeon -- tip 'o the cap to you for that one -- but do remember to shovel up after as you ride, though -- and, please, deposit manure in appropriate composting bin, lest your journey amongst the windmills be less than all it can be.)

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
" ... greed and bad judgment." ... hmmm, that might easily refer better to those on Wall St. and in the mortgage industry that started this mess -- than to the "small people", bumbling worker-bees just trying to have a piece of the pie being waved under their noses, unsophisticated in the world of finance, no?

(Nice ride, Curmudgeon -- tip 'o the cap to you for that one -- but do remember to shovel up after as you ride, though -- and, please, deposit manure in appropriate composting bin, lest your journey amongst the windmills be less than all it can be.)
That's what I have Sancho Panza for!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Be careful how close you get to the back of his horse in your never ending displays of ingratiation.

Greed on both sides? absolutely. AAHHHHH poor little bumbling worker bees. Give me a break.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Be careful how close you get to the back of his horse in your never ending displays of ingratiation.

Greed on both sides? absolutely. AAHHHHH poor little bumbling worker bees. Give me a break.
Heh heh ... no one reading these Forums in the past would have ever expected someone to accuse me of " never ending displays of ingratiation" to Curmudgeon Anyway, I know all about horses hind ends, thanks. Good news there is pretty much compost.

Give you a break? -- nah, no bees: no honey (and no fruit or many veggies either -- love my salads) ... plunder on bulldog!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
20. Bakersfield
18. Salinas
17. Fresno
9. Vallejo
5. Sacramento
4. Modesto
3. Merced
1. Stockton
Give me a break, Sacramento isn't even on the same level as any of those cities.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Heh heh ... no one reading these Forums in the past would have ever expected someone to accuse me of " never ending displays of ingratiation" to Curmudgeon Anyway, I know all about horses hind ends, thanks. Good news there is pretty much compost.

Give you a break? -- nah, no bees: no honey (and no fruit or many veggies either -- love my salads) ... plunder on bulldog!
Dont make me pull a search on you.

I think you need to lookup the definition of plunder.

More like picking up the pieces of the mess, turning around, creating jobs and paying taxes. Isnt that what people like you want. More economic activity to support all the wonderful blood sucking programs that abound in this state?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
While not a fan of those types of Forbes listings, I think that the overall sentiment they expressed about those areas seems pretty accurate.

California is certainly struggling, and all around me I see vacant homes, or homes currently being abandoned by folks who have been here for at least a few years. They aren't selling their homes, they are abandoning them.

That is a pretty good indication, all by itself.
Some of those listed are fairly rough places speaking city wise, depending on ones tempering. Then again a stroll down San Diego in the eve can put one in the news. Born and raised in So Cal, 55 years this July.

California has it's problems, like low humidity, long travels for most snow recreation, almost annoying climate, Proposition 13 and such. Lots of people thought the dream was credit. Some thought moving family here on a promised sub-$70K annual income also meant two SUV’s with spinners in the driveway of their two story cookier cutter home. Cost of living adds up quick here.

One thing for sure, it’s hard work to make quality of life ends meet, look forward to finding a retirement spot with modest and reasonable expectations on both sides of the (green pastured) fence. Taxes and corporate housing development throughout the State is killing viability of simple living. (except where we currently live )

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: cleaned up, not edited

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Dont make me pull a search on you.

I think you need to lookup the definition of plunder.

More like picking up the pieces of the mess, turning around, creating jobs and paying taxes. Isnt that what people like you want. More economic activity to support all the wonderful blood sucking programs that abound in this state?
My esteemed pirate friend -- search away! ... and while you're there, you'll find not a mention of me supporting blood-sucking programs ... you WILL find me ridiculing politics in total as a sham in every respect from all sides and "wings" ... you WILL also find me assailing our entire culture as antithetical to our very human-nature. Conservatives here tend to jump to conclusions about my leanings because they are the most hypersensitive to being ridiculed -- but I am very much "an equal opportunity ridiculer" ...

Homo-sapiens are designed to live in small troupes of fewer than 200 individuals -- just like other primates. Anthropological and bio-medical science since the 1990's have proven those theories. So it doesn't matter a fig if there are politicians on the left helping out the struggling, fallible, worker-bees -- or politicians on the right crying foul and trying to force every individual to live a life of righteous responsibility (according to their own definitions) ... the whole pageant we live in will just continue to be a cluster-f**k until we self-destruct with our clever technologies and bio-engineerings.

That said, however, I point out that humans are a social animal, and as such we are not here to sacrifice each other for the benefit of the few -- but rather to insure the welfare of the majority. That is not a political statement. That is a scientific fact. Question is how to accomplish such. That's where politics and religion show up. And that, in turn, is where the limitation of the Dunbar number asserts itself. Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy reading -- and plundering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California