U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM

16,422 posts, read 22,261,217 times

Advertisements

Bulldog and Fontucky are spot on. I go to Food4Less and El Super. The quality is every bit as good, in fact at El Super I think it's actually better but it's much much more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,367,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm thinking you haven't done much shopping at the Latino markets or WinCo. When they come to town, Staters, Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons etc etc shake in their boots.
And I'm thinkin' you're wrong! But admittedly, we don't have ethnic markets here. What few there are reside about 45 miles away in Springfield. I rather like that!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,301,223 times
Quote:
Yeah, the Food4Less here is good on prices as well. WinCo is my go-to store for bulk items, though.
Some of their bulk items are a good buy but since I go to Costco quite a bit (two teenagers and a college student) I just get them there. Funny With in a five mile radius we have a Costco, two Food4less, a Winco, Super Walmart, Smart and Final Extra( Stater Bros in socal), two Safeways, one Raleys, three Save Marts, a Trader Joes and a ton of Asian/Latino markets. Plus some independents. Carnicerias, Panaderias, Chinese noodle factory, Italian Market, Japanese market etc..... Not to mention the one of the largest Asian farmers markets on the west coast on Saturday mornings.

Yeah I'm thinking California has the lowest prices

Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,096,972 times
The Sacramento Bee had an article about food pricing around the country. I think there was problems with their methodology in price comparison, but anyway, they basically took a set of grocery items they thought the average family would by and averaged out the price of all items purchased. The result was grocery prices in the lower 48 states were very comparable. There was a larger price difference between regions or metro areas within individual states. Prices in Sacramento were high, comparatively speaking on a national level and I think Bakersfield was the lowest in California. At the time (around 2002) the same bag of groceries cost $18 in Bakersfield and $23 in Sacramento. I don't agree with the difference because I've spent time in both cities and food is the same price in both locations. Also few people do all their shopping at any single grocery chain. Most of us notice a good price on pasta sauce at one place and buy a few jars to last a while, then do the same with another grocery item when we are in another store.

Sacramento certainly has discount grocery stores, but they are few in number compared to other metro areas and they are quite a drive for most people living in most of the metro area. The nearest WinCo is 11 miles from me. The next one is 13, which is fairly close to FoodMax, which beats WinCo on prices in my experience. Of course, there is always Walmart. They only carry the most common grocery items. If you are trying to avoid junk ingredients like HFCS, you aren't going to find many items without it and their produce is poor quality.

Ethnic grocery stores here have surprisingly fair prices here. It isn't uncommon to see lower prices on a few items and I really think the imported items are priced fairly. Grocery chains charge crazy-premium prices on imported items. Produce is almost always less in ethnic food stores here.

How do you compare pricing across the country when individual items are priced differently due to geography and climate? If you live in California you can find huge bags of oranges for $3.00-5.00 if you just look around. Only a fool would pay the $1.49/lb Safeway and Raley's charges for oranges. If you are really good you can get them for free. Likewise, it isn't uncommon to see limes as cheap as 8 or 10 for a $1.00. I've seen lemons as cheap as 20 for a $1.00. Some items are overproduced and dumped on their regional markets. Other parts of the country may not see these prices due to the cost of shipping.

One of the things I don't understand is the price of tomatoes in grocery stores. Tomatoes grow like weeds. They mysteriously come up in the side yard and before you know it you have a crop of tomatoes. Tomatoes are grown here like corn is in the Midwest. Yet, they are always overpriced in the stores and any time there is a freeze in any part of the world the prices skyrocket.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking you haven't done much shopping at the Latino markets or WinCo. When they come to town, Staters, Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons etc etc shake in their boots.
Does La Superior count?

Don't presume!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Does La Superior count?

Don't presume!
No one's presuming anything. You just said you don't have ethnic markets there the nearest ethnic stores are 45 miles away and you like it that way. If you like it that way, why would anyone think you'd shop at them?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,657,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Does La Superior count?
Uhhh.... recently, rather than back before you defected to Jesusland?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Uhhh.... recently, rather than back before you defected to Jesusland?
Not since we moved back to America. But we do have Seoul Market in Springfield which sells a variety of great kimchis and other Asian delicacies. Tomorrow we're going in to have our car serviced (closest Honda dealer) and there are a couple of Mexican markets we're going to check out. I'll keep ya posted so when you're ready to move to the heartland ya don't go into total culture shock.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,657,665 times
I already moved to the heartland, back in 2004. I'm still here.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I already moved to the heartland, back in 2004. I'm still here.
Dammit can't rep you again so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California