U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM

3,667 posts, read 4,619,987 times
I was amused to note this morning that according to the AP,Amazon is closing down a Dallas distribution center and scrapping plans for expansion in Texas because of a dispute with that state's government over taxes and what an Amazon exec refers to as the "unfavorable regulatory climate" in Texas.

Whine, whine,where's the cheese?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM

9,958 posts, read 3,776,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... except in Texas ... where, if I lived there, I would need to spend plenty to keep cool and distract myself from the lack of natural variety and stimulation and activities I crave (start with the color green!). Y'all down there have a culture and plenty of wild spaces fo' sho' ... but man, I don't get it ... just as well, because y'all don't get me neither ...
lack of green? You clearly have never been to Texas I guess.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM

7,151 posts, read 4,151,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
lack of green? You clearly have never been to Texas I guess.
Oh, have been ... you clearly have never been to western Washington, coastal northern California, or the windward sides of the Hawaiian islands ... "year around, never brown" ... good thing there's differn't places for differn't folks, no?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM

13,387 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Oh, have been ... you clearly have never been to western Washington, coastal northern California, or the windward sides of the Hawaiian islands ... "year around, never brown" ... good thing there's differn't places for differn't folks, no?
Did you try Eastern Texas? Green all year round as well and it's rarely if ever brown.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,272,951 times
Yep, got that eastern green, but green means it rains, rain means theres bugs. West Texas is a more congenial place. The big problem with Texas is the lack of public land, aside from the two National Parks in the west it is hard to find empty land to wander in.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 PM

9,958 posts, read 3,776,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Yep, got that eastern green, but green means it rains, rain means theres bugs. West Texas is a more congenial place. The big problem with Texas is the lack of public land, aside from the two National Parks in the west it is hard to find empty land to wander in.
As a frequent user of public lands all over this country (including a lot of areas in CA) there's no state in the union taking away the public's right to those lands faster than CA. UT is a close second but at least they're fighting back.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM

24,945 posts, read 31,821,358 times
NeoCons across the country must be in a state of shock that their poster child state is actually a big fat LOSER like everywhere else. LOL

Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Do as I say, not as I do...

No pay cuts for Texas' top govt. executives - Bloomberg

Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM

This is the height of delusion.

Quote:
AUSTIN — How bad is the budget crisis in Texas? Ask the Republicans who run the state, and they'll tell you it's in the eye of the beholder.

The way they see it, the $8 billion drop in state revenue can be offset with some belt-tightening. The $7 billion loss in federal stimulus funding? Well, that was expected. And as for the roughly $12 billion more that state agencies say they need to avoid cutting services — Republicans say they just won't get it.

Voila, the $27 billion shortfall is gone.

"There's no shortage of commentators saying that we're on the verge of budgetary Armageddon," GOP Gov. Rick Perry recently told reporters. "The fact of the matter is that's just not true."

GOP leaders deny Texas budget in real trouble | Politics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,235,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
NeoCons across the country must be in a state of shock that their poster child state is actually a big fat LOSER like everywhere else. LOL
Atleast people have jobs (8% unemployment) in Texas. Thats more than California (12% unemployment) can say.

Don't throw stones from a glass house as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California