Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,073,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I don't get this, you are comparing a single region in California to the entire state of Texas. Yes, the Central Valley is flat, but the rest of the state is not. On the other hand Texas is largely flat, with some areas with rolling hills and a few mountain ranges.

The issue isn't that Texas is flat in an absolute sense, the central valley isn't "completely" flat either.

I think the central valley is in some sense comparable to Texas though. The weather isn't nice, it isn't that pretty, etc. I was thinking of moving to Texas 1-2 years ago, but after I slowly debunked all the myths surrounding Texas I changed my mind. Furthermore, if I ever got sick of the high housing costs on the coast (or couldn't afford them any longer) I could always move to the central valley which is no worse than most of Texas. Actually, it has something Texas doesn't, its surround by great national forests.

What exactly are the pluses of Texas? I can think of perhaps one thing, real estate is currently cheaper in Texas even when you compare apples-to-apples. But as the markets adjust in California that should no longer be the case in a few years.
I was comparing the central valley, because it is totally flat, Texas is not that flat. We know Austin and San Antonio are in the "hill country", but even Dallas/FtWorth are more hilly than the entire Sac/San Joaquin valley.

Its not just that real estate is cheap, its that everything is cheaper here. I just paid $2.89/gallon for gas this morning, I know its at least 50cents higher there. Food is generally cheaper, but its not just the cost of living thats easier. Its easier for people to make a living. Its that simple. People arent quite as stressed out. People tend to have newer cars, people eat out all the time, not that those things are great indicators, but for me it indicates people have more discretionary income. The economy is far better here, right now.

People are friendlier, and there is more of a sense of community. Generally. There are no absolutes here. Ive spent more of my life in California than Texas, and I love California, but Texas does have alot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,840,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
That's CA residents trying to limit or remove public access to public land.
The Center for Biological Diversity is based in Tucson.

I'd love nothing better than to see those infernal machines of destruction banned (or at least limited) from my deserts.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,073,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Just curious here, not trying reignite the firestorm. What is a plus to Texas? What can you find in Texas that is not "bigger and better" (to steal a Texas myth) in California?

Again, there are no absolutes. In many areas California can not be trumped, but that doesnt mean that Texas isnt a great place to live and raise a family. There are great places to explore, and quite honestly I think it would shock many Californians who have not been here. Thats how it was for me, I expected Bakersfield on steroids and got something totally different. Whenever I have guests from California, they are more than pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,863,575 times
Quote:
37% of the Texas budget goes for Welfare, the largest chunk of the Texas budget.
It's actually 32.8% where California is 29.1%

California has roughly 11 million more residents too..

Also, Our budget is currently 60 million dollars higher then California.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,650,217 times
Quote:
Just one of the many stories out there, a CA based eco group wants to close the Johnson Valley OHV area to public use. This article is from 2010 but the fight is still going on. That's CA residents trying to limit or remove public access to public land.

The Center for Biological Diversity wants to close Johnson Valley OHV Area | Cactus Thorns
Well, just as I thought, the State of California is not trying to close any land to public use, and neither is anyone else, including the Center for Biological Diversity, except as I have noted before, the military.

I know that the beer and gasoline crowd talks about closing land, or locking up land, but that is except in the case of the military, always a lie. A falsehood. Back to Texas, here is the problem with texas, and, as I have stated before, it is the lack of wild land, in the case of Texas, there is very little public land to do anything on.
Total of National Forest Land, 675,000 acres
Big Bend National park is the largest park at 800,000 acres

It appears that there are no more than 2, million acres of public land in Texas, that is just, the Los Padres National Forest and Death Valley National Park combined in California, far less than the nearly 50 million acres of California, open to public access.

Now, of course, if you are an urban sort, this makes no difference. But, if you, like millions of Americans enjoy our nation's wild lands, you will feel cramped in Texas.

Last edited by .highnlite; 02-14-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,380,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Again, there are no absolutes. In many areas California can not be trumped, but that doesnt mean that Texas isnt a great place to live and raise a family. There are great places to explore, and quite honestly I think it would shock many Californians who have not been here. Thats how it was for me, I expected Bakersfield on steroids and got something totally different. Whenever I have guests from California, they are more than pleasantly surprised.
What shocks me is the narrowminded view of some Californians who think that all that makes a state worthwhile is its topography and their inability to discuss much of anything else. How arrogant and limiting can you be.

California is indeed blessed to have such natural wonders and variance but it is not that which would, if it was true, make it better than Texas or any other state for that matter. They're all unique and they all have their good points as well as their not so good ones.

When the sole argument for supremacy hinges on natural wonders man had nothing to do with creating it becomes redundant, limiting, short-sighted and downright boring. The repetition, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, is reminiscent of small childrens arguments consisting of "No I'm not." Yes you are."

Additionally, the assumption thaqt what you like in nature is or should be equally valued by everyone else or they come up short is not just preposterous but pig-headed and totally presumptuous, pompous and pretentious.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,650,217 times
Quote:
Again, there are no absolutes. In many areas California can not be trumped, but that doesnt mean that Texas isnt a great place to live and raise a family. There are great places to explore, and quite honestly I think it would shock many Californians who have not been here. Thats how it was for me, I expected Bakersfield on steroids and got something totally different. Whenever I have guests from California, they are more than pleasantly surprise
Even San Luis Obispo County has more wilderness land than Texas, aside from Big Bend and Guadalupe Mtns National Park. In Texas, if you wanted to go on a weekend back pack trip with your kids, where would you go?

Oh, how cute, Curmie jumped in, with a thinly disguised attack. Too funny, I did leave out the part where I was going to say that there are those who think an outdoor experience includes parking on the shore of a reservoir, but I did not put that in, as I knew it would hurt somebodies feelings.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,403,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
None of these are "pros" in any serious sense.
According to you? LOL.[/quote]

I tried to warn you about these guys.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,863,575 times
Quote:
the beer and gasoline crowd
As opposed to the wine and electric hybrid crowd, right ?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,026,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Code for: Texas doesn't give out as much welfare as the Golden State.
No, that is just the typical Southern conservative interpretation. It is as I stated, Texas doesn't spend much on social programs. Social programs include far more than welfare.

Welfare spending doesn't differ that much from state to state because most welfare programs are federal and are partially or wholly funded by the federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California