U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,577,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't know anyone IRL who actually lives in California and hates it. It's been surprising to me to read these threads; if someone hates CA and lives here, why don't they move? And if they hate it and don't live here, why post? Unlike the OP, I don't find anything sociologically interesting about the topic, other than that there must be a lot of people on the Internet who have nothing else to do.
I know quite a few people who live in CA and would love to get out if they could afford it but they can't sell the home they own due to being horribly upside down. I've hired 2 people in the last 12 months from CA who I relocated to IL and TX and they still act like I pulled them up from hell. Their families are flourishing in their new states, they actually moved to areas which are very close to their previous cost of living so it has nothing to do with money for them but they were able to buy a lot more house in their new locations. I don't think they hated CA, they hated the people that had slowly filled the areas where they've lived for their entire lives.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,633,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I know quite a few people who live in CA and would love to get out if they could afford it but they can't sell the home they own due to being horribly upside down. I've hired 2 people in the last 12 months from CA who I relocated to IL and TX and they still act like I pulled them up from hell. Their families are flourishing in their new states, they actually moved to areas which are very close to their previous cost of living so it has nothing to do with money for them but they were able to buy a lot more house in their new locations. I don't think they hated CA, they hated the people that had slowly filled the areas where they've lived for their entire lives.
I guess we are back to talking about Mexicans again. Heck, this state used to be nuthin but Mexicans, they sure were sore when all them Americans moved in.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM

757 posts, read 1,463,389 times
I've found this topic interesting because C-D has given me more exposure to the unabashed, unrestrained opinions of people in other states than I've had before. I've drawn some conclusions.

A lot of people hate their idea of what Californians are like, which is an idea that is shaped by the media which itself projects a sensationalistic image of CA'ers. It shows almost only protests in Berkeley or SF, riots in LA or Oakland, or fringe figures like Michael Jackson and his antics, John Walker Lindh etc. If you mention CA to some of these people, these are the events they might refer.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of people have been "California dreamin'" and had an idyllic notion of the state which was the basis for their desire to visit or live in CA, esp LA. Once they did so, though, and saw that it didn't conform to their idyllic preconceptions, they were disillusioned and embittered. I think many of them retain their embitterment indefinitely which would have been avoidable if they didn't have such unrealistic preconceptions of CA.

A lot of people in other states hate CA because CA is governed in a way that they don't personally approve of. A lot of them are staunch conservatives, both socially and fiscally, and any state that doesn't reflect their views is a state they're going to hate. It's not like these are the most live-and-let-live type of people, though, so that is no surprise.

A lot of people hate that some CA legislation has been reproduced in other states, like automobile emissions standards or no-smoking-indoors laws. These types of laws are ones that I live with and really don't think about, but I guess such laws infuriate some people. I guess their daily lives were so much better when they could drive cars with no emissions controls and then smoke indoors at any place of business, and now, CA ruined that for them so they're going to hate CA for the rest of their lives.

A lot of people hate CA because many people who once lived in CA have moved to their states have increased the population density and cost of living there. That's mostly because those natives and long time residents of those states were so used to such, and now that change has been imposed upon their lives, they are angry. These people are unreasonable, though, as change is inevitable esp when you consider that the baby boomers are retiring in droves and are going to retire somewhere. However, no one can reason with them as they just want to blame and accuse those who they identify as being responsible for the so-thought wrongdoing of imposing change.

My conclusion is that most CA haters are either just unrealistic, unreasonable or bigoted.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,100,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I guess we are back to talking about Mexicans again. Heck, this state used to be nuthin but Mexicans, they sure were sore when all them Americans moved in.

How do you think the various tribes in California felt when the Mexicans moved in?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,672,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
How do you think the various tribes in California felt when the Mexicans moved in?
Mexicanized?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 PM

41 posts, read 67,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Actually Mexicans are largely indian, part indian part spanish, and others ofcourse..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM

41 posts, read 67,510 times
and not only Mayan and aztec descendents,but pretty much all up and down the spectrum.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 PM

4,931 posts, read 7,555,914 times
Jealousy. There are certainly crappy places in California, but there also are some of the most beautiful places on earth here.

It ain't perfect by any means but if I won $50+ million in a lottery I wouldn't even think of moving from my house/neighborhood/city or state. Just travel a bit more. And I have been very fortunate to have traveled all over the world and this country to have a pretty good idea to what's out there.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM

16,425 posts, read 22,277,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
So, being hired by al qaeda to kill fellow iraqi's because of their religious affiliations while harming us efforts to stabilize the country and allow national elections seems "fairly rational" to you? Really.
Saddam was crazy yes. However, he did not do business with Al Qaeda. In fact, her did not tolerate terrorist in the country at all. It was only after the US invaded Iraq, a country that has never threatened the US, were terrorists allowed to finally get into Iraq. In some ways, the US did exactly what it was trying not to do, destabilize Iraq and thus likely, the region. This was the reason George H.W. Bush did not continue further with the Gulf War after he evicted Saddam from Kuwait. Saddam kept terrorist out and we imposed no fly zones to keep him away from his neighbors.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,064,161 times
I know a person who actually moved from Cali because of the Immigration issues here.

I am a CA native, and for the most part the weather rocks.

I hate the way (most) CA Drivers drive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or