U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 PM
 
Location: West Coast Wanderer
11,846 posts, read 9,444,374 times
Reputation: 5509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I've found this topic interesting because C-D has given me more exposure to the unabashed, unrestrained opinions of people in other states than I've had before. I've drawn some conclusions.

A lot of people hate their idea of what Californians are like, which is an idea that is shaped by the media which itself projects a sensationalistic image of CA'ers. It shows almost only protests in Berkeley or SF, riots in LA or Oakland, or fringe figures like Michael Jackson and his antics, John Walker Lindh etc. If you mention CA to some of these people, these are the events they might refer.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of people have been "California dreamin'" and had an idyllic notion of the state which was the basis for their desire to visit or live in CA, esp LA. Once they did so, though, and saw that it didn't conform to their idyllic preconceptions, they were disillusioned and embittered. I think many of them retain their embitterment indefinitely which would have been avoidable if they didn't have such unrealistic preconceptions of CA.

A lot of people in other states hate CA because CA is governed in a way that they don't personally approve of. A lot of them are staunch conservatives, both socially and fiscally, and any state that doesn't reflect their views is a state they're going to hate. It's not like these are the most live-and-let-live type of people, though, so that is no surprise.

A lot of people hate that some CA legislation has been reproduced in other states, like automobile emissions standards or no-smoking-indoors laws. These types of laws are ones that I live with and really don't think about, but I guess such laws infuriate some people. I guess their daily lives were so much better when they could drive cars with no emissions controls and then smoke indoors at any place of business, and now, CA ruined that for them so they're going to hate CA for the rest of their lives.

A lot of people hate CA because many people who once lived in CA have moved to their states have increased the population density and cost of living there. That's mostly because those natives and long time residents of those states were so used to such, and now that change has been imposed upon their lives, they are angry. These people are unreasonable, though, as change is inevitable esp when you consider that the baby boomers are retiring in droves and are going to retire somewhere. However, no one can reason with them as they just want to blame and accuse those who they identify as being responsible for the so-thought wrongdoing of imposing change.

My conclusion is that most CA haters are either just unrealistic, unreasonable or bigoted.
...and my conclusion is that you deserve a rep

 
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 AM
 
6 posts, read 3,246 times
Reputation: 30
Hi All - first time poster
I have to admit, every blog, every news article, even if you mention the words California there will be a barrage of people falling over themselves to tear the state apart. As many have alluded to earlier, most people hate the idea of CA as perpetuated by the media. Most of US is traditional (I won't use the word conservative, as that is political) Traditional implies family values, religiosity and that transcends political and party lines. CA has an image, promoted by media, that challenges those very institutions that are sacred to the American people. Add to it that most Americans see social welfare as anti-freedom (Never mind many social welfare program can actually enable freedom but that is a different topic for a different day). These lead to a larger base of people for whom CA is an idea that has to be crushed, ilegitimized and ridiculed. As any success of CA can be perceived as success of these supposed "un-American" values, CA attracts a large percentage of population who are passionate about discrediting the state. The current economic scenario and the perpetual budget crisis provide ample opportunities for everyone to lump those together. A state that has some of the most active LGBT movements, a pro-choice and pro-gay marriage legislature will attracted religious hatred. A state that actively regulates business will invite the ire of pro-businesses. There are just too many people for whom CA is the poster child of what they hate.
But the puzzling conundrum is the economic situation. CA is supposedly anti-business and it has been like this for a while. After all most governors in the recent past has been “liberal” in the political sense. The Democratic party has largely controlled the legislature. Despite all these factors that are supposed to drive business away, CA economy has performed amazingly well over the last 30 years, the current economic crisis notwithstanding. As much as many people wish, Google, Apple and Facebook are not “leaving in droves” and shutting shop in CA. So if you are in state A, with a solid Christian middle class, and “pro-business” set up, you will be mad at CA and you will want to believe and actively perpetuate the notion that CA is doomed and businesses are all leaving the state. Unfortunately, businesses decisions are often not made that way. Business thrive in cluster – you need your suppliers, your customers to be around you. You need to be positioned to attracted the best in the talent market and closer to where those talents are produced. This is where lies CA’s advantage. Hollywood and Technology thrive in clusters. Talent is critical. Due to Hollywood’s reputation creative talent is constantly migrating to CA. Due to an excellent public university system, technical talent is constantly produced by CA in CA.
Having said that, I would agree that generally CA needs to correct its course. There is no denying that illegal immigration costs money. There is also no denying that income taxes are generally unstable revenue base. CA has to work towards maintaining its competitive advantage in higher education and not repeatedly cut budgets in the UC system. And above all it has to work towards stashing money in a rainy day fund.
Disclaimer: I am a naturalized citizen. Spent my childhood in India. Completed my undergrad degree in Denmark. Spent most of professional like in Amsterdam before going to grad school in CA. To be honest, CA is not even close to the “left liberal” utopia it is perceived to be. Amsterdam in particular and Netherlands in general is very close. Everyone knows about decriminalized marijuana possession and legalized prostitution. But what struck out for me most were 35 hr work weeks and generous vacations. I used to work at a large bank, 4 days a week. I would take the Wed. off and this was the norm. Healthcare is free and education is cheap. Most Dutch people would work exactly 35 hrs and you would never ever have to work on a weekend. Despite all these “job killing” benefits, Netherlands maintained a 4% unemployment rate throughout the recession. Netherlands, and not CA, needs to be crushed and ridiculed to advance conservative ideologies.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 AM
 
39 posts, read 7,303 times
Reputation: 27
Ah, why I hate SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ONLY...let me count the ways. I am a So. Cal native by the way. Born in the LBC. Ca should be two states. So Cal is ugly, crowded, lots of bad drivers, people with highnlite attitudes. Stop defending So. Cal. It sucks. Beaches are crowded and polluted. So. Cal mountains...hahah what a joke! Smoggy, dirty, endless strip malls, no sense of community except a lil' in ghetto areas. Crime, gangs, BAD costs of living, taxes, fees, stupid laws. Police/nanny state. Our local leaders are morons and criminals! LA is a non livable city that's way too spread out. Oh ya, try not to trip over the homeless from Bon Adventure to Staples! LA is a horrible, non user friendly city. DID I SAY ENOUGH...STOP LIVING IN DENIAL! Ca should be two states. Don't worry, I'm leaving soon! Overly tan, BMW, mcmansion, Land Rover, cell plastered to ear, vapid morons...ok, I'll stop. Enjoy the warm weather this WINTER, you will all pay when the next drought comes and you can only water a couple days a week! lolololololololololol. I hope Ca recovers so no So. Cal morons will move to another state and ruin it! Ok, I'll stop. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
 
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Status: "Bless this mess!" (set 21 days ago)
 
5,031 posts, read 7,506,372 times
Reputation: 2299
They're just jealous.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Location: San Angelo, Texas
795 posts, read 600,480 times
Reputation: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I've found this topic interesting because C-D has given me more exposure to the unabashed, unrestrained opinions of people in other states than I've had before. I've drawn some conclusions.

A lot of people hate their idea of what Californians are like, which is an idea that is shaped by the media which itself projects a sensationalistic image of CA'ers. It shows almost only protests in Berkeley or SF, riots in LA or Oakland, or fringe figures like Michael Jackson and his antics, John Walker Lindh etc. If you mention CA to some of these people, these are the events they might refer.

On the other side of the coin, a lot of people have been "California dreamin'" and had an idyllic notion of the state which was the basis for their desire to visit or live in CA, esp LA. Once they did so, though, and saw that it didn't conform to their idyllic preconceptions, they were disillusioned and embittered. I think many of them retain their embitterment indefinitely which would have been avoidable if they didn't have such unrealistic preconceptions of CA.

A lot of people in other states hate CA because CA is governed in a way that they don't personally approve of. A lot of them are staunch conservatives, both socially and fiscally, and any state that doesn't reflect their views is a state they're going to hate. It's not like these are the most live-and-let-live type of people, though, so that is no surprise.

A lot of people hate that some CA legislation has been reproduced in other states, like automobile emissions standards or no-smoking-indoors laws. These types of laws are ones that I live with and really don't think about, but I guess such laws infuriate some people. I guess their daily lives were so much better when they could drive cars with no emissions controls and then smoke indoors at any place of business, and now, CA ruined that for them so they're going to hate CA for the rest of their lives.

A lot of people hate CA because many people who once lived in CA have moved to their states have increased the population density and cost of living there. That's mostly because those natives and long time residents of those states were so used to such, and now that change has been imposed upon their lives, they are angry. These people are unreasonable, though, as change is inevitable esp when you consider that the baby boomers are retiring in droves and are going to retire somewhere. However, no one can reason with them as they just want to blame and accuse those who they identify as being responsible for the so-thought wrongdoing of imposing change.

My conclusion is that most CA haters are either just unrealistic, unreasonable or bigoted.
You summed it up perfectly. +rep
 
Old 02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
 
2,397 posts, read 1,888,207 times
Reputation: 1185
Probably because it has become a northern republic of Mexico.

1960: 92% White
1970: 89% White
1980: 76% White
1990: 69% White
2000: 46% White
2010: 41% White

By the way, go to the mapping America website and type in "Los Angeles".
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

In twenty years, whites will represent less than thirty percent of all Californians, and it may be as low as twenty percent. The entire state, with perhaps the exceptions of some areas on the Central Coast, the northwest coast, and the mountains, will look like Mexico.

Left Wing beliefs encouraged through public policy is destroying the Golden State. How do you like your diversity and multiculturalism now?
 
Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
 
7,154 posts, read 3,732,619 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
... In twenty years, whites will represent less than thirty percent of all Californians, and it may be as low as twenty percent. The entire state, with perhaps the exceptions of some areas on the Central Coast, the northwest coast, and the mountains, will look like Mexico.

Left Wing beliefs encouraged through public policy is destroying the Golden State. How do you like your diversity and multiculturalism now?
And your point is? ummm, California should be / remain white because:
white is the best color? And lord knows color is the finest and most accurately distinguishing trait to distinguish qualities of character, intelligence, ability to contribute to community ... etc?

ah
 
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM
 
2,397 posts, read 1,888,207 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And your point is? ummm, California should be / remain white because:
white is the best color? And lord knows color is the finest and most accurately distinguishing trait to distinguish qualities of character, intelligence, ability to contribute to community ... etc?

ah
Whites settled America.

Whites founded the Nation.

This country was ruled as a white nation from its founding to 1965.

This country had fewer issues with crime, failing schools, and a failing economy without the social welfare system being drained by non-whites, namely Mexicans, many of whom are illegal. Any statistical data will back up this reality.

Those are the facts. Take them however you wish. The truth, however, is just that, the truth. If it offends you, so be it.

If you wish for California's ultimate destruction, then promoting the same old, tired mantra of "diversity" is what will seal its fate. By the way, I already think that California is a goner.

What had Americans flocking to California is gone. Sure, a few still come, but the U-Hauls are generally packed, heading east and north these days. Left Wing Idealism, courtesy of a diversity mindset, killed it.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
 
7,154 posts, read 3,732,619 times
Reputation: 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Whites settled America.

Whites founded the Nation.

This country was ruled as a white nation from its founding to 1965.

This country had fewer issues with crime, failing schools, and a failing economy without the social welfare system being drained by non-whites, namely Mexicans, many of whom are illegal. Any statistical data will back up this reality.

Those are the facts. Take them however you wish. The truth, however, is just that, the truth. If it offends you, so be it.

If you wish for California's ultimate destruction, then promoting the same old, tired mantra of "diversity" is what will seal its fate. By the way, I already think that California is a goner.

What had Americans flocking to California is gone. Sure, a few still come, but the U-Hauls are generally packed, heading east and north these days. Left Wing Idealism, courtesy of a diversity mindset, killed it.
So yes, I stated it correctly: you are a white racist -- fine, now we know who's writing ... no question about it.

Now then, enjoy your future: you know, the one in which races will continue to move and mix globally ... and in which world you and your children will have to actually compete with the equal intelligence and capabilities of all other races. And thank your favorite, predominantly white European business and political leaders who have fostered the globalism of the future.

(BTW: your screen name does not reflect the same Stars and Stripes I served in combat.)
 
Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,467 posts, read 1,541,562 times
Reputation: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Left Wing Idealism, courtesy of a diversity mindset, killed it.
The state has no control over its border regardless if the government was conservative or liberal (see Texas - they have the same border issues we do). That's a federal responsibility. Left wing idealism didn't hire the illegal Mexicans to work in the fields, in construction, in landscaping, in hospitality. That was general business decisions by people I doubt are very "left wing" and its now happening all over the country. If illegal immigration is your pet issue you certainly can't blame California for the situation it finds itself in today (other than the businesses and farms that have traditionally done the hiring of said migrants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top