Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

41 posts, read 78,960 times

Advertisements

I thought It would be interesting to get some perspective on this from people who live there. Most of you probably realize california gets a pretty bad wrap across the country. This attitude springs up from many people who probably have never even been to california at all.

So my question is, is this some kind of myth? What causes California to have such a bad reputation; is it the economy-there are worse states--is it the large latino population? is it because it contains Sanfrancisco? Seasonal Fires?

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM

And maybe even better question, does it deserve it?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingawayfromtherain View Post
I thought It would be interesting to get some perspective on this from people who live there. Most of you probably realize california gets a pretty bad wrap across the country. This attitude springs up from many people who probably have never even been to california at all.

So my question is, is this some kind of myth? What causes California to have such a bad reputation; is it the economy-there are worse states--is it the large latino population? is it because it contains Sanfrancisco? Seasonal Fires?

What are your thoughts?
gonna list a few generalized grievances I have heard against the state, both while I have lived there and when I've moved:

-high taxes
-high cost of living
-dirty
-Attitude of some people living in San Fran, "holier-than-thou"
-San Francisco (politics)
-Berkeley (politics)
-Los Angeles (politics)
-attitude from some Californians that have never lived somewhere else, that is it the best thing since pre-cut baked goods
-too liberal
-too conservative (depending on area and person)
-does not mesh with a great deal of the US in many ways

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I've been all over the Bible Belt, so I can understand why they'd want something else to focus their ire on. It's easier that way.

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
and an even better question...what the hell are you talking about? who says california is hated? don't mean to ride your ass man but when you generalize like that and assume that it's a universal truth that people hate california it sounds kind of foolish. I dig california a lot. if everyone hates it, why is the most visited state?

now, if you said CALIFORNIANS instead, then we could go somewhere. I would say they are hated because they are self absorbed, narcissists who are new agey, the worst kind of liberal (while still remaining deeply racist inside) who flock to other states and build huge mcmansions and kick and scream that these new places SUCK because they don't have whatever froo-froo shops these people are used to and GOD they are so IGNORANT back in Cali we would NEVER do this and that and blah blah blah.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:13 PM

"who says california is hated? "

Open your eyes my friend.. You can see this attitude pretty much everywhere these days.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I wish this attitude was reflected in decreasing population numbers. Sadly, it's not.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
They hate our freedom.

Okay I don't know.

Maybe all of that crazy crap out of SF like taking toys out of happy meals or having safe injenction facilities for heroin addicts.

Although I guess it could be worse...

http://www.collegeflavor.com/ProductImages/mississippi180.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingawayfromtherain View Post

What are your thoughts?
Ummm I'm not sure where you live, but California has a great reputation, not just domestically, but especially from overseas. When I lived in Florida, my friends wished they could afford living in California. When I lived in Australia, 100% of my friends said they want to see California if the took a trip to the states. Go to the World Forum on City-Data and do a poll of different states...I'm positive California will be in the top 3, but most likely #1. The only people I've met who have a negative view of California are FAR right wing conservatives who let politics ruin their lives. I guess someone has been watching too much Fox News...

Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Your idea of how the country perceives California doesn't seem to jive with this Harris Poll:

Harris poll: California rated most desirable state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California