U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

Moving to north central California in the fall. Work from home, so employment not a consideration. Looking for safe, liberal area with lots of community involvement. Like the "feel" of Arcata, but too far north for us. If you had to suggest one of the two, which would you feel would be a better fit, Ukiah area or the Chico area? Thanks for all replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,570,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalcindy View Post
Moving to north central California in the fall. Work from home, so employment not a consideration. Looking for safe, liberal area with lots of community involvement. Like the "feel" of Arcata, but too far north for us. If you had to suggest one of the two, which would you feel would be a better fit, Ukiah area or the Chico area? Thanks for all replies!
If a "liberal" culture and feel is important to you, especially on a par with Arcata, then I suspect you might be more comfy with Ukiah. Chico has the college and a reasonably liberal feel about it, but it's also a bit of a cultural "island" in a very conservative and largely agricultural "sea".

For example, aprox. 50% of the surrounding Butte County voted for Obama in the 2008 election, whereas 70% voted for him in Mendocino County, and 62% in Humboldt County. And BTW, Butte County is actually one of the more Liberal ones in the Central Valley!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:18 PM

965 posts, read 2,615,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And BTW, Butte County is actually one of the more Liberal ones in the Central Valley!
I see that a bit differently. I don't think either of these two counties can be broad-brushed with any political leaning that holds up on a county-wide basis; they're both purple. Chico is moderately liberal, but Oroville, Paradise and all the small agricultural towns stand as a conservative counterweight. I do agree that Chico is a somewhat insular town, but it is big enough to be a self-sufficient place to live.

Coastal Mendocino is fairly liberal. The 101 corridor...not so much. Ukiah wouldn't be on any of my lists as a possible place to move. I just find it a rather bland, workaday environment with big-box stores being the major attraction (though I do like the climate).

The presence of a university always creates an atmosphere of stimulation and creativity. I like Chico a lot. I'm sure a lot more people would live there if there were jobs for them. For someone who is self-employed, the cost of living in Chico should be attractive (by California standards, anyway). If you're not a heat sissy, that's where I'd head to. In fact, I think it might be one of the best places to live left in the state of California...but I like warm weather and sunshine...and I'm guessing that someone who goes by the handle of "tropicalcindy" probably does, too.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I see that a bit differently. I don't think either of these two counties can be broad-brushed with any political leaning that holds up on a county-wide basis; they're both purple. Chico is moderately liberal, but Oroville, Paradise and all the small agricultural towns stand as a conservative counterweight. I do agree that Chico is a somewhat insular town, but it is big enough to be a self-sufficient place to live.

Coastal Mendocino is fairly liberal. The 101 corridor...not so much. Ukiah wouldn't be on any of my lists as a possible place to move. I just find it a rather bland, workaday environment with big-box stores being the major attraction (though I do like the climate).

The presence of a university always creates an atmosphere of stimulation and creativity. I like Chico a lot. I'm sure a lot more people would live there if there were jobs for them. For someone who is self-employed, the cost of living in Chico should be attractive (by California standards, anyway). If you're not a heat sissy, that's where I'd head to. In fact, I think it might be one of the best places to live left in the state of California...but I like warm weather and sunshine...and I'm guessing that someone who goes by the handle of "tropicalcindy" probably does, too.
Well, that's the point isn't it, that Chico's fine.... as long as you don't mind being "stuck" on a cultural "island"! And BTW, I live here and it's not even about the relative amount of conservatism, as it is about the level of intensity... at least judging by all the "Nobama", "Hellfire & Brimstone", "Tea Party" and "Palin" evidence, that's actually quite common!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM

965 posts, read 2,615,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, that's the point isn't it, that Chico's fine.... as long as you don't mind being "stuck" on a cultural "island"! And BTW, I live here and it's not even about the relative amount of conservatism, as it is about the level of intensity... at least judging by all the "Nobama", "Hellfire & Brimstone", "Tea Party" and "Palin" evidence, that's actually quite common!
Agreed. If insulation from redneck culture is what you're seeking, no place in the northern third of California is a good choice. But if you simply want to find a place where the liberal contingent is robust enough to afford you an affinity group -- whether marginally in the majority or marginally in the minority -- the university setting of Chico will provide you with that. Will Ukiah? I don't know. I haven't seen any evidence that it would with my limited experience there.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 AM

Though Butte has its own share of "agriculture", it probably can't hurt that Ukiah's part of the well-known "Emerald Triangle", has Mendocino College, a Mendo State extension campus, and a Buddhist University! But yes, with almost 40 inches of rain annually (Ukiah), vs 24 inches (Chico).... climate trumps politics for me any day (especially if you've ever lived in Seattle)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California