Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times

Advertisements

L.A. Times article:

California population grows by 332,000 to 38.2 million - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
We've pretty much conceded that it's 40 million at this point.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
But, but, but... The right wing nuts keep claiming everyone is fleeing the state. How can that be so if the population keeps going up?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,508 times
I wonder what percentage are taxpayers. My guess, very low percentage.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
My thought exactly. I love California, but unfortunately I'm not rich enough or poor enough to live there.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
But, but, but... The right wing nuts keep claiming everyone is fleeing the state. How can that be so if the population keeps going up?
They only count the Republicans who are fleeing.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
You mean, the highly sought-after ones from around the world getting the high-paying tech jobs, who thusly contribute very appreciable amounts of revenue to the state through taxes paid? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of those coming in, at least not here in SV. In fact, they might be dutiful taxpayers who pay their taxes without whining incessantly about paying taxes! Imagine that!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
But, but, but... The right wing nuts keep claiming everyone is fleeing the state.
No. The studies are quite clear that young taxpaying families and the upwardly mobile are fleeing California. The Wall Street Journal illustrates the point:

Quote:
The Great California Exodus

According to Mr. Kotkin, these upwardly mobile families are fleeing in droves. As a result, California is turning into a two-and-a-half-class society. On top are the "entrenched incumbents" who inherited their wealth or came to California early and made their money. Then there's a shrunken middle class of public employees and, miles below, a permanent welfare class. As it stands today, about 40% of Californians don't pay any income tax and a quarter are on Medicaid.

It's "a very scary political dynamic," he says. "One day somebody's going to put on the ballot, let's take every penny over $100,000 a year, and you'll get it through because there's no real restraint. What you've done by exempting people from paying taxes is that they feel no responsibility. That's certainly a big part of it.

And the welfare recipients, he emphasizes, "aren't leaving. Why would they? They get much better benefits in California or New York than if they go to Texas. In Texas the expectation is that people work."
Ergo, the worst possible outcome. Taxpayers flee. Freeloaders stay, increasing the strain every year. The only thing to stop this imbalance is to put an end to this institutionalized redistributive failure.

And if it doesn't end, productive citizens will continue to depart, as it is their right and an exercise of their free will to do so. No one can force any productive citizen to continually pay for freeloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You mean, the highly sought-after ones from around the world getting the high-paying tech jobs, who thusly contribute very appreciable amounts of revenue to the state through taxes paid? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of those coming in, at least not here in SV. In fact, they might be dutiful taxpayers who pay their taxes without whining incessantly about paying taxes! Imagine that!
We'll see how the compass turns when the Fed stops printing money and the QE train stops blowing asset bubbles ever higher, thereby imparting farcical values on perennial money-losers like Twitter and Facebook, along with real estate. The 1999 tech bubble implosion is prologue.

I may be wrong about this, of course. But I most certainly am correct that young families and upwardly mobile productive citizens continue to leave California for superior opportunities in lower-cost states.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
It sounds from the dialogue, the only solution is to put up a fence at the border to keep tax payers from fleeing the state.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
It sounds from the dialogue, the only solution is to put up a fence at the border to keep tax payers from fleeing the state.
It would violate the Constitution of the United States, which in matters of interstate commerce and private property rights, stands above all, including the constitutions of the several states.

Neither capital nor labor can be controlled. If people want to take their money or their skills to another state -- and particularly one with a much more fair tax regime -- they can, they will, the Constitution permits them to, and no law or politician can stop it. Witness the scores of executives and athletes leaving France, with its outrageous 75% confiscatory tax rates. Hollywood -- now shooting television and movies in much lower tax states, so much so that the stupid politicians now are trying to extend tax breaks to lure them back.

Capital and labor will always flow. That flow can never be stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California