U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:29 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,037,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
My daughter is in kindergarten so parents being in the room is a great help to a teacher trying to handle 24 kindergarten students with one aide. The teacher especially appreciates when DH has been able to go because there are a handful of children who do not have a male role model in their lives. I imagine that our involvement will be more outside of the classroom as our daughters progress through the grades. What I was trying to get across is that DH and I are willing to put in the effort to help with our children's education in any way we can. Parent involvement is schools is so important. I know that our school would not run smoothly if it weren't for the parents who spend countless hours volunteering in different areas.
Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but after spending thousands per year in property taxes, I expect the schools to run just fine without having to rely on volunteers. I have no problem with parents doing the normal PTA stuff but there should only be properly trained professionals dealing with my kids in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,638,705 times
Quote:
You think? Are you a teacher by any chance? The teachers in my children's elementary school actually encourage volunteerism from the parents. Sign up sheets are always outside my children's classroom door. It's not just classroom participation but fundraising, organizing in the library, helping with weeding/gardening, etc. Strange that they would want us to do this if it were disruptive as you said.
As someone familiar with the Ed system, once you get out of the primary grades, parent help is generally more of a hindrance. Plenty of teachers save their copying until a parent helper shows up, then sends them down to the faculty room.

There should be one simple rule. No parent can help in the room where their child is. They must volunteer in another room.

As a kid, nothing terrified me more than my mother in the room, talking to my teacher about me.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM

950 posts, read 2,222,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but after spending thousands per year in property taxes, I expect the schools to run just fine without having to rely on volunteers. I have no problem with parents doing the normal PTA stuff but there should only be properly trained professionals dealing with my kids in the classroom.
I will agree with you in that I would hope that the high taxes would mean that the schools were well funded and could handle the day to day without parents involvement. The reality is that this is usually not the case so one can either decide to roll up their sleeves and help where they can or they decide this is not their job and they don't. I think the saying "It takes a village to raise a child" is never more true than when you apply it to this situation. I am grateful for all of the time parents dedicate to making our school a better place for learning and creativity.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, then I hope you make it back out here jaynetarzana. There are a lot of good school districts in and around the Bay Area. Another consideration might be private schools in areas where you like everything else like SC.

Derek
Thanks Derek

It is such a tough situation because DH has a great job here in Chicago and is gaining valuable experience, but neither of us can talk ourselves into loving it here after living in California for 15 years. When this opportunity came along, we took it because we thought our children would be much better off in a place that is family friendly and had good schools. Unfortunately, Chicago is lacking in the natural beauty and weather departments to the degree where we know that the costs outweigh the benefits. It does seem, however, that California continues to be unfriendly to the family. If we were without children, California is fantastic, but with kids, things are quite a bit more complicated. The good schools are in places where the cost of living is either out of reach or would make life so uncomfortable just trying to afford the basics, that there is another cost outweighs the benefit situation. That is how things were when we lived in Santa Cruz (and we weren't even in a great school district!). Yes, we loved where we lived, but our mortgage was eating us alive and the stress level was unhealthy.

I am not sure that I am a fan of private schools, nor could we afford them while living anywhere in the Bay area.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM

3,921 posts, read 7,717,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
As someone familiar with the Ed system, once you get out of the primary grades, parent help is generally more of a hindrance. Plenty of teachers save their copying until a parent helper shows up, then sends them down to the faculty room.

There should be one simple rule. No parent can help in the room where their child is. They must volunteer in another room.

As a kid, nothing terrified me more than my mother in the room, talking to my teacher about me.
I was actually talking about the elementary school level--There aren't really any volunteer opportunities in middle/high school outside of organizing dances, etc.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I would love to hear from more people who have relocated from another place where their children were attending school to California. I think that is the best way to gain perspective, when you have something to compare it to. I never had my children in California public schools so for all that I know, they could be worse or better than our school now. Our elementary school is overcrowded which makes teaching more difficult, but it still has music and art classes so that is nice. Our school is old, but it is very well kept so it looks new. Things there seem quite organized. They are even adding a beautiful addition to the building to accommodate the growing student population. I notice that many schools in California just add those modular buildings and attach an air conditioner when they run out of space. The kids at our school seem to be happy and learning. My worst nightmare is to go through the process of DH finding a new job (and leaving his very good job here), relocating our family on our dime (since most employers will not pay relocation in this economy) only to find that I am too disappointed with the schools in California.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I would love to hear from more people who have relocated from another place where their children were attending school to California
Sure, my daughter did, from Reno to CA, she had to repeat 5th grade as she was so far behind (she is now at Cal Poly, along with her sister, son is at UC Davis all graduated from California schools) Youngest daughter aced the National AP Calculus exam, taught by California Public School teachers.

And I can repeat my friend's story, they moved from an upscale Dallas suburb with what was considered one of the best schools in Texas.

Their children were failing in the first quarter (elementary school) because they were so far behind the small town elementary school they moved to.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Yes highnlite, I appreciate your input. I realize that I didn't reply to your post, but I did read it with great interest. My understanding is that the schools in Reno are hit or miss so that scenario didn't surprise me. Your comparison between "one of the best schools in Texas" is hard to gain perspective on unless I know where in California they moved to. Do you mind sharing about that? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 02-16-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Arroyo Grande.

A town of old retired people, like me.

Reno, like anywhere with multiple zip codes will reflect the schools quality by zip code. The school she went to was one of the older neighborhoods with old money, and private country club (for those who like that sort of thing) one of the finer schools in town.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Are we talking about a recent move? I am really only interested in knowing about how people feel about their child's school today because the game has changed quite dramatically in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California