U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM

950 posts, read 2,221,376 times

Advertisements

Is anyone thrilled with their child's school? Or do most people feel like they are disappointed with the education their children are receiving in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Any disappointment I have with my three kids in Las Flores Elementary and Middle school is 100% on them and us (parents). If they don't get an A on a test it isn't because of the teacher - it's because they're more interested in Disney channel or Club Penguin or music stars or goofing off with their friends, or it is because we as parents didn't work with them on their homework or help them prepare for the test. I am really happy with our school, the faculty, the parents, the community, the other kids and peers. I'd say it is a notch below the schools in Huntsville though, only because in Huntsville there was a very strong tech culture (everyone's dad is an engineer). In Huntsville, our elementary school had four competitive robotics teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZySucV6lsAI

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Stanford parents speak up!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,629,887 times
Quote:
Is anyone thrilled with their child's school? Or do most people feel like they are disappointed with the education their children are receiving in California?
Bunk

1. My friends moved from upscale Dallas with one of the "highest ranked" Texas Elementary schools, worried about the "poor" California schools, they were shocked to find their kids were way behind the California kids in the local neighborhood public school.

2. Daughter was admitted handily to Cal Poly, one of 4,000 selected out of 40,000 apps, she, aced the National AP Calculus test, and got 4's in English and History. Public school all the way. When other daughter moved to CA from NV she had to repeat 5th grade because she was so far behind the CA 5th graders.

2b. I got three kids in University, all, from CA public schools, two came from one high school, the other a different high school

3. The school has your kid 6 hours a day, you have them 18, if they are successful or unsuccessful the responsibility is yours.

4. The teacher does not hate your kid, if you get the idea that the teacher thinks your kid is a *******, guess what, he is a *******.

too funny, the editor does not like the word schm uck... whoda thunk.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 PM

860 posts, read 1,746,813 times
Around here, there are folks disappointed with the schools, but for not the reasons one would expect.

The Wall Street Journal Classroom Edition (http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/teen/teencenter/05nov_whiteflight.htm - broken link)

Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Around here, there are folks disappointed with the schools, but for not the reasons one would expect.

The Wall Street Journal Classroom Edition (http://www.wsjclassroomedition.com/teen/teencenter/05nov_whiteflight.htm - broken link)

I wonder if the same thing is happening in Irvine.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,466,961 times
No, I am not disappointed with the education my child is receiving at his school, nor with the education my adult son received. It's so easy to blame the school, blame the teachers, blame anything and everything except your own parenting skills/choices, or your own child's lack of motivation. You get out of it what you put into it. If your child isn't willing to go the extra mile - give 110%, then he/she isn't going to reap the rewards of somebody who has gone the extra mile. As parents, we are responsible for instilling discipline and motivation in our children. As children grow older, they take on much of the responsibility of carrying through what they have been taught by us - their parents.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 AM

32,260 posts, read 54,960,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Bunk

1. My friends moved from upscale Dallas with one of the "highest ranked" Texas Elementary schools, worried about the "poor" California schools, they were shocked to find their kids were way behind the California kids in the local neighborhood public school.
I have relatives who recently moved here from Utah and all her kids are way behind their peers in Alameda.

I have a first cousin who moved from Oakland to Hurst, TX and was looking forward to their kids 'finally recieving a good education' and when they finally got there, all of their kids tested at the top or near the top of their class and their eldest daughter placed high in the districtwide geography and spelling bee. LOL

Im just saying...people b*tch and moan about California schools, but I dont think our schools are that bad at all-in fact Im inclined to say they are really still among the best.

I visit my alma mater in Oakland all the time, I donate money to the art program, I've purchased some new computers, I have some scholarships that are awarded to seniors transferring to UC Berkeley or UC Davis and every year Im very impressed with the candidates. And this school's API is in the 600s, yet still they churn out really bright and talented graduates, some of whom go on to ivy league schools and many go on to UCs.

If that's the case in lowly Oakland, then imagine places other places in CA? It cant be as bad as the fearmongers would have us think.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 AM

30,509 posts, read 33,322,731 times
Just in California? LOL

Old 02-14-2011, 01:10 PM

4,118 posts, read 8,657,639 times
The only blatantly horrible schools Ive seen in California so far are LAUSD.

I'll note that I know 2 Garden Grove SD teachers and have relatives in other OC schools. No major complaints that I'm aware of.

LAUSD is another animal though. I had a friend who went through the ciriculumn to become a teacher there. The emphasis is on social engineering. Basically the school course of study is intent on pushing a social/political ideology onto its students.

I also took a civil service exam at Fairfax highschool on a weekend. The classroom was populated with left wing supporting political statements, imagery, etc.

Now add into that safety factors. When I was in college, during the summers I worked for a guy who did minor construction withing schools. He had dropped his contract with LAUSD several years earlier because he felt going onto LAUSD campuses was a threat to his well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California