Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:34 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,690 times

Advertisements

I used to LOVE visiting Berkeley. The hot dogs, pizza, bands, carnival barkers and generally festive atmosphere meant you were always in for an interesting day.

Now, the old storefronts are boarded up. The corporate, faceless profiteers have moved in. Old mainstays like Blondie's are a shadow of their former selves. The appeal of the enormous record stores is now diminished by instant online downloads.

The '60's dream of community have been replaced by virtual, online communities where people don't care about socializing except to create digital archives of it later on.

Do you still love Berkeley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I used to LOVE visiting Berkeley. The hot dogs, pizza, bands, carnival barkers and generally festive atmosphere meant you were always in for an interesting day.

Now, the old storefronts are boarded up. The corporate, faceless profiteers have moved in. Old mainstays like Blondie's are a shadow of their former selves. The appeal of the enormous record stores is now diminished by instant online downloads.

The '60's dream of community have been replaced by virtual, online communities where people don't care about socializing except to create digital archives of it later on.

Gosh, I was just over there on the weekend. I haven't been to Telegraph Ave (where I used to hang out on occasion and buy clothing etc- which sounds like the area you're talkin' about) but I was in another neighborhood where I reveled in the diversity and walkability of it all. I actually found it more diverse and more of it's "former self " than San Francisco.

You need to remember that it's not just Berkeley that's being hit with the whole culture of the internet, but the entire country/world. Places are being boarded up everywhere- the whole homogeneous blandness seems to be filtering into every city. People don't hang out like they used to because of Facebook...People don't hang out in Amoeba like they used to either--it's all downloaded now from home (unless your a DJ or something). And now, even the college is big into admitting more kids from out of state since they're willing to pay 50k. Gee--even Berkeley Square's been closed for a very long time now- And more recently even Larry Blake's.

I still love Berkeley though despite all the "modernization" and/or closed institutions.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
I agree with clongirl. The city has changed quite a bit but still maintains more of it's charm than SF but less of it than Oakland. People really don't hang out as much as clongirl mentioned. Constitution square used to be a gathering place, especially on the weekends. It was one of those places where your age didn't matter as people would converge from Berkeley High and UC Berkeley as well as randoms from god knows where. Plans were made and everyone got together. There are still musicians hanging out around the BART station and sometimes in the square but that old atmosphere is largely a thing of the past. You can still sometimes find one of those east coast style carts with hot dogs and warm pretzels from time to time. Seems to be hit and miss now rather than the same old guy that you got to know. Hippie-Town is still interesting but again it's changing too. Even Berkeley can't resist the pull of cultural homogenization. I no longer lived there and haven't for a very long time so I can't speak of how much it still feels like a community. I remember that feeling though, you knew everyone and everyone knew you in your neighborhood and you knew the people at your local stores by name. It will always be Berkeley though, the city has always changed with the times to some degree.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Yeah my parents use to complain about how things at Cal just weren't the same when I went there in the '70s as when they did in the '40s and just as I'm sure their older siblings did who went there in the '20s. I believe what you are experiencing is codgerdom.

I'll always love it and will accept whatever it becomes. If you want to step back in time there are plenty of places on campus that are the same as what you remembered. I'm only bummed out that Manuels disappeared.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
It's way less trashy and drug infested

I dig it

Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's way less trashy and drug infested

I dig it
I don't know. My home town still has a drug problem and crime can be quite high some years.

I still love it all the same though

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
It's still as oppressive as ever.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
The 60's are long gone. When was the last time you were in Berkeley? Things have flipped 180 degrees. The university is more conservative and the city is more liberal

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The 60's are long gone. When was the last time you were in Berkeley? Things have flipped 180 degrees. The university is more conservative and the city is more liberal
What's funny about this is the fact the UC is no more conservative than other colleges. It's just the city is THAT liberal

Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
The university was pretty conservative back in the late 60s. Many of the rabblerousers weren't even students, although some were. Remember there was a Republican governor in office then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California