U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,199,132 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind a Michigander posting a thread on a California site. I will be getting my degree in elementary education within two years, but I thought I would pick some Califorians minds about whether moving there from MI is worth it. I have seen from other threads on California about people thinking of moving that it's very hard to find a good paying job and having a nice house in a good neighborhood. I little background on me; I am a male in my mid 40s (teaching is my second career). My wife is a nurse with almost 20 years experience. My daughter is 11.
I was at a recent job fair for teachers up here and there were a number of CA schools recruiting new teachers.

Any advice on California's cost of living, besides that its very high

what school districts are good to work in (CA teachers could maybe respond)

housing in the 200 to 280K range

Thanks for all your input

Last edited by SALteacher; 07-21-2007 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 PM

129 posts, read 483,408 times
You want to buy a house for 200 - 280?

A shack in Compton will run you 400...

Old 07-21-2007, 08:39 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,820,257 times
Well, California is a huge state, so you might want to narrow it down more in terms of where you are interested in living and working. As far as I know, there is a need for teachers and nurses just about anywhere you'd like.

200-280k is not going to buy you much house (if any) in any major metro area of California, though doable in less populated areas (desert towns, mountain towns, etc.) Also remember our property taxes, income taxes, etc can be higher than some states.

Frankly, I wouldn't consider moving here from out of state on teacher and nurse salary if you want any kind of metro area. If you are open to moving into a more off-the-beaten-path town, there might be some interesting options. Again remember how huge California really is.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:16 PM

17 posts, read 47,435 times
200K-280K is not going to get you anything, sorry to say. Although they are turning apartment complex's into "condo's" selling them from $300K and up.

Where in California are you looking to relocate? Northern Cal or Southern Cal? I live in Northern Cal's Bay Area and there are some really good school districts to work for but you would have to hold a California credential. There are programs and a few tests you have to take and pass to be able to teach in California. But they will give you up to 5 years to complete the certification process while you are working as a teacher.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 AM

1,900 posts, read 253,732 times
I recommend another Job. NCLB has wrecked teaching. If you are smart, creative, and motivated turning pages in the district mandated text is not going to fulfill you. When an administrator walks into your room and looks to see that what they are seeing is the next part of the lesson in the classroom they just walked out of, it is hard to be excited.

I began teaching at 39, I have 17 years in, my wife has 20, we just quit. The B.S.ometer went off the deep end. I'd rather drive truck.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,199,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Puff1980 View Post
200K-280K is not going to get you anything, sorry to say. Although they are turning apartment complex's into "condo's" selling them from $300K and up.

Where in California are you looking to relocate? Northern Cal or Southern Cal? I live in Northern Cal's Bay Area and there are some really good school districts to work for but you would have to hold a California credential. There are programs and a few tests you have to take and pass to be able to teach in California. But they will give you up to 5 years to complete the certification process while you are working as a teacher.
During the teacher job fair in Mi last spring I talked to a recruiter from Fairfield who was very nice and even though I was two years away from graduating he urged me to check out his district anyways. He claimed that the area, including the city next door were affordable. I looked at some housing prices and saw upwards of 300 to 350K for little house. I also heard and checked Bakersfield which claims to be the affordable California. Their housing prices are more reasonable there. A recruiter from the Bakersfiled school district was at the job fair, but I didn't speak with him or her.
I realize that I would need a CA credential to work there and they do give you a temporary license until you fulfill their requirements. I've heard nurses are very well paid.
What I've read from former Califorians is that the main reason they left the state was because of high taxes and the traffic. I know in southern CA, especially around LA and San Diego the traffic is non-stop 24/7. Is it really that bad in the outlying areas like Fairfield and Bakersfield? Thanks for your help.
Glenn

Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM

54 posts, read 120,355 times
Just Do It Everybody Experience Is Differs, Do What You Feel....

Old 07-22-2007, 02:08 PM

9,595 posts, read 4,858,195 times
Sal,
I live in Fairfield, and my daughter graduated from Fairfield High.. My Mother is a retired teacher from the Bay Area. The Fairfield-Suisun Unfied School District is ok but not great.. The demographics of the area are changing rapidly, and that is causing a burden on the school system...

Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 PM

17 posts, read 47,435 times
I don't know too much about Bakersfield but I know it's sizzling hot out there. But Interstate 80 runs through Farfield and yes, traffic can be terrible, but Bay Area traffic is nothing like LA traffic that's for sure. I'm relocating soon, but traffic isn't the reason why.

It's really sad looking at the real estate section of the newspaper now, because everything you see in the $400K to $600K range are very small fixer upper's. My friend just bought a nice size 4 bed/3 bath home, 2400 sq ft in San Ramon for $825K. But usually the price range for a nice single family home will run you between $540K and up. I wouldn't live in Vallejo personally nor that side of the bridge, but there are some really nice homes out there. Check out Vacaville. It's right next to Farfield...if I worked on that side of the bridge, that's where I'd live. My friend said they have really good schools.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:25 AM

19,144 posts, read 13,976,135 times
Check out the mountain communities like Big Bear Lake, CA.. Many homes are in that price range. They are simple, older but nice homes. There is a hospital up there and my father was a teacher up there until he retired. The weather is wonderful, the people are friendly and it's a good enviroment for your daughter. I'm sure there are many other places like this in CA. It's just that I personally know about Big Bear. Do some looking and you can find something. As other posters have said, it may be very difficult to find a decent home in the metro areas for that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California