Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 21,068 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation from snowy upstate NY. What areas are a reasonable (30-45 min.) commute to City of Industry? We have a newborn and would like clean, SAFE neighborhoods, potentially good schools or close to good private schools. Rental budget is 5-6k (please skip the rental vs. buying advice...this won't be forever) and we need three bedrooms at least 2800 sqft. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
In the a.m. I'm on the road by 5:50 from Chino Hills to City of Industry... make it to work (east on the 60 fwy) within 25 minutes, usually.

Chino Hills is a lovely city, rural feel, open space. I've been living here since '93, LOVE IT!!!

Chino Hills, CA - Official Website

Another city would be Diamond Bar, sits on the west border of Chino Hills. Commute would be about 5 mins. less.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
La Habra Heights, Glendora, Diamond Bar, Arcadia, Monrovia...pretty much anywhere that is nestled up to/in the foothills around Industry are very nice.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I was considering Chino...hate to sound like an idiot but I read in one of the posts that there are a lot of rattle snake warnings in the Chino area...I am a TX gal originally so I know my way around a snake but I am a little nervous considering that I have a new baby....also, any advice concerning the rumors that they are putting a mine in that area?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnymom View Post
also, any advice concerning the rumors that they are putting a mine in that area?
A mine? I haven't heard anything about a mine. What have you heard?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Ok, keep in mind this is SGV so most of the best communities will be primarily Asian. The exceptions being Chino Hills(BTW, NOT an upscale community, just new build) and Glendora. BTW, your rental amount is WAY high for the area. For an example:

Gorgeous Remodeled 4 BR, 3 BA Pool Home
3ba - HOUSE FOR LEASE - - -
3 Bath Spacious Ranch Style House
Great Location For This Extraordinary Home (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/2210841224.html - broken link)

Arcadia - Excellent schools, short drive, mostly asian community.
Walnut - Same as Arcadia.
Glendora - Further drive, but more ethnically diverse community. Very good schools.
Diamond Bar - More downscale than Arcadia, but still nice, good schools, lots of asian, but decent ethnic mix. Easy access to OC as well via the 57. A little further than Walnut.
Rowland Heights/Hacienda Heights - About the same as Diamond Bar, but more heavily asian.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
China Hills, Walnut, Diamond Bar as mentioned, parts of Yorba Linda and Brea, and you could also swing western Corona if you wanted to save some money and have brand new construction and brand new schools

Old 02-18-2011, 04:14 PM

From looking at a map, Arcadia seems a short commute but surrounded by East LA? Is it still pretty safe? I would prefer a smaller home in a more upscale community. Asians don't really bother me but I have only ever had to deal with them in small doses, I have heard that it is a different story out there. Thanks to everyone for the input, I am looking forward to some sunny weather!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,939 times
Quote:
Asians don't really bother me but I have only ever had to deal with them in small doses, I have heard that it is a different story out there.
Holy Crap! "Them"?!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnymom View Post
From looking at a map, Arcadia seems a short commute but surrounded by East LA? Is it still pretty safe? I would prefer a smaller home in a more upscale community. Asians don't really bother me but I have only ever had to deal with them in small doses, I have heard that it is a different story out there. Thanks to everyone for the input, I am looking forward to some sunny weather!

I dunno what map you are looking at, but Arcadia is over 10 miles from East LA.

And just click on the street view on google maps for the home for rent in Arcadia. Pretty upscale area IMO.

For school ethnic breakdown, go to the great schools website, look up the schools in the area, and chick on the "students" link.

For most of the areas mentioned, the very good schools have an ethinic breakdown that is roughly 60% asian, 20% caucasian, 10-20% latino. The exception is Glendora, where its more like 55% caucasian, 20% asian, 20% latino. Keep in mind these are rough estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California