U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,797,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Instead of demonizing the news source ... try discrediting the content
Good grief, Don, the content has been "refudiated" repeatedly already in this thread by a variety of credible, linked, news sources ... if you haven't read any of them by now, why would I continue to direct you to more [knowing that you won't read the new ones either]?

But note that one of the "refudiations" is to be found in your own link -- which you apparently didn't bother to read past the headline either I guess.

You know, there has been quite a bit of writing lately from all sides about how more and more people these days only read/watch/listen to news and opinion that suits their preconceived opinions and positions ... you are a classic example of that, obviously.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,951,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Good grief, Don, the content has been "refudiated" repeatedly already in this thread by a variety of credible, linked, news sources ... if you haven't read any of them by now, why would I continue to direct you to more [knowing that you won't read the new ones either]?

But note that one of the "refudiations" is to be found in your own link -- which you apparently didn't bother to read past the headline either I guess.

You know, there has been quite a bit of writing lately from all sides about how more and more people these days only read/watch/listen to news and opinion that suits their preconceived opinions and positions ... you are a classic example of that, obviously.
Its entertaining to watch you guys spinning your wheels like hamsters while the work is being done. It really does not surprise me and actually glad to see you in your kool-aid induced world watching us through rose colored glasses. You should learn from your protesting comrades that life as you knew it is changing, the pendulum is swinging back, and they know its real and fighting hard. Just because the liberal mainstream media says something is so really means nothing anymore and more and more people now realize it. The liberals control the mainstream media and use it to try and sway peoples opinion towards the liberal thinking. Why do you think viewership has been sinking for liberal controlled media and why do you think viewership has been growing for non liberal controlled media? Because the people now realize what's really going on and want the truth.

Last edited by Vascodagama; 02-25-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,440,484 times
Quote:
Its funny, partisans always think its the other guy that is brainwashed..

Partisanship, one of democracies many failings.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,967,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Its funny, partisans always think its the other guy that is brainwashed..

Partisanship, one of democracies many failings.
No kidding. It kills me to see someone slamming Fox news in one breath, but then quote the Huffington Post or similar partisan outlet in the next breath. I watch Fox news but read MSNBC online. You can imagine the conflict going on in my head It is hard to find anything unbiased. True intelligence is at least recognizing that you are getting biased information and not thinking just the other side is biased.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
No kidding. It kills me to see someone slamming Fox news in one breath, but then quote the Huffington Post or similar partisan outlet in the next breath. I watch Fox news but read MSNBC online. You can imagine the conflict going on in my head It is hard to find anything unbiased. True intelligence is at least recognizing that you are getting biased information and not thinking just the other side is biased.
Right: FOX News gets slammed ... it barely takes any intelligence whatsoever to know that FOX News is not true journalism, is a venture entirely oriented to an extreme conservative stance, and deliberately and exclusively focused on discrediting anything liberal or Democratic.

My most read and cited sources on this Forum, from which I "[am] getting biased information":
NY Times:
"The New York Times has won 104 Pulitzer Prizes, the most of any news organization.[2] Its website is the most popular American online newspaper website, receiving more than 30 million unique visitors per month" ... "The New York Times has been variously described as having a liberal bias or described as being a liberal newspaper,[75][76] or of having a conservative or center-right bias on certain issues."

Wall Street Journal:

"The Journal is the largest newspaper in the United States, by circulation."
"Reed Irvine and Cliff Kincaid (2001) note that "The Journal has had a long-standing separation between its conservative editorial pages and its liberal news pages." (I have cited from both)

The Washington Post:
"The Post is generally regarded as one of the leading daily American newspapers,[6] along with The New York Times, which is known for its general reporting and international coverage, and The Wall Street Journal, which is known for its financial reporting." ... "Chris Matthews said on his television program, "Well, The Washington Post is not the liberal newspaper it was, Congressman, let me tell you. I have been reading it for years and it is a neocon newspaper".[35] It has regularly published an ideological mixture of op-ed columnists, some of them liberal (including E.J. Dionne, Ezra Klein, Greg Sargent, and Eugene Robinson), and some on the right (including George Will, Marc Thiessen, Robert Kagan Robert Samuelson, Michael Gerson, and Charles Krauthammer). "

The Los Angeles Times:
"the second-largest metropolitan newspaper in circulation in the United States in 2008 and the fourth most widely distributed newspaper in the country.[3]"

TIME Magazine:
"Time is the world's largest weekly news magazine, and has a domestic audience of 20 million and a global audience of 25 million"

Do the above mentioned sources represent a more liberal bias than conservative? Somewhat, but not overly. These are America's and the world's leading news sources. They have the highest reputations for accurate, verifiable reporting.

I also pay most attention to NPR and NPB, but rarely, if ever cite them here.
Note I do NOT include MSNBC? Why? Because it is too biased (liberally).
Huffington Post? You bet. TIME Magazine's #2 place choice for "Best Blogs" ... Arianna Huffington was a well known and admired conservative journalist and commentator until the mid-late 90's when she began to lean liberal ... but her commitment to true journalism is very highly regarded in the field.

Since you know virtually nothing of my background or my a-political positions, you are ill informed to judge and define me. My breadth of upbringing, education, talents and involvement in the arts, social exposure, professional experience, military experience, business and entrepreneurial experience and success including full in-depth firsthand knowledge of corporate theory and structure and trading, streetwise life, outdoorsmanship, obstacles endured and overcome - would likely give you pause to reflect on several of the comments you have cast my way recently.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,290,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
The liberals control the mainstream media and use it to try and sway peoples opinion towards the liberal thinking.
Between the media, the unions and the school teachers I'm surprised there's a single conservative alive. You'd think with that kind of power they'd have brainwashed everybody into becoming zombie liberals. The fact that they haven't proves there must be at least some nucleus of some truth in conservatism.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Right: FOX News gets slammed ... it barely takes any intelligence whatsoever to know that FOX News is not true journalism, is a venture entirely oriented to an extreme conservative stance, and deliberately and exclusively focused on discrediting anything liberal or Democratic.

My most read and cited sources on this Forum, from which I "[am] getting biased information":
NY Times:
"The New York Times has won 104 Pulitzer Prizes, the most of any news organization.[2] Its website is the most popular American online newspaper website, receiving more than 30 million unique visitors per month" ... "The New York Times has been variously described as having a liberal bias or described as being a liberal newspaper,[75][76] or of having a conservative or center-right bias on certain issues."

Wall Street Journal:

"The Journal is the largest newspaper in the United States, by circulation."
"Reed Irvine and Cliff Kincaid (2001) note that "The Journal has had a long-standing separation between its conservative editorial pages and its liberal news pages." (I have cited from both)

The Washington Post:
"The Post is generally regarded as one of the leading daily American newspapers,[6] along with The New York Times, which is known for its general reporting and international coverage, and The Wall Street Journal, which is known for its financial reporting." ... "Chris Matthews said on his television program, "Well, The Washington Post is not the liberal newspaper it was, Congressman, let me tell you. I have been reading it for years and it is a neocon newspaper".[35] It has regularly published an ideological mixture of op-ed columnists, some of them liberal (including E.J. Dionne, Ezra Klein, Greg Sargent, and Eugene Robinson), and some on the right (including George Will, Marc Thiessen, Robert Kagan Robert Samuelson, Michael Gerson, and Charles Krauthammer). "

The Los Angeles Times:
"the second-largest metropolitan newspaper in circulation in the United States in 2008 and the fourth most widely distributed newspaper in the country.[3]"

TIME Magazine:
"Time is the world's largest weekly news magazine, and has a domestic audience of 20 million and a global audience of 25 million"

Do the above mentioned sources represent a more liberal bias than conservative? Somewhat, but not overly. These are America's and the world's leading news sources. They have the highest reputations for accurate, verifiable reporting.

I also pay most attention to NPR and NPB, but rarely, if ever cite them here.
Note I do NOT include MSNBC? Why? Because it is too biased (liberally).

Since you know virtually nothing of my background or my a-political positions, you are ill informed to judge and define me. My breadth of upbringing, education, talents and involvement in the arts, social exposure, professional experience, military experience, business and entrepreneurial experience and success including full in-depth firsthand knowledge of corporate theory and structure and trading, streetwise life, outdoorsmanship, obstacles endured and overcome - would likely give you pause to reflect on several of the comments you have cast my way recently.
Easy there. I was not even referring to you. Are you thinking that my recent comments were specifically targeting you? They were not (except the neanderthal w/Internet joke). I guess replying to people who you were arguing with gave you that impression? I was referring to people in general. You see what I described quite often on these forums. That said, some could argue that some of your sources are still biased, regardless of Pullitzer counts. I don't consider the LA Times or NY Times as being without bias. There ARE journalists on both MSNBC and FOX. It's just that there are also a lot of biased opinion shows too. As long as someone can tell the difference it's OK. Heck, it's OK to watch a biased show if you share that bias.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Between the media, the unions and the school teachers I'm surprised there's a single conservative alive. You'd think with that kind of power they'd have brainwashed everybody into becoming zombie liberals. The fact that they haven't proves there must be at least some nucleus of some truth in conservatism.
Ahem --
"Union density (the percentage of workers belonging to unions) has been declining since the late 1940s, ... The US Bureau of Labor Statistics most recent survey indicates that union membership in the US has risen to 12.4% of all workers, from 12.1% in 2007. ... In 2009, the union density for private sector stood at 7.2%."

Labor unions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since those figures include most teachers, we're hardly looking at an overwhelming majority of Americans to launch an assault on conservatism, no?

And the airwave media is far more heavily represented in biased conservative positions than liberal ... think FOX, with Beck and Sean Hannity and friends, , etc. Think Limbaugh. Other conservative radio and tv across the nation. Add up the numbers and wonder just the opposite of your expressed concern above.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think the extremists have hijacked the news and discussions. It's kinda like how you only read about the bad news. One could be forgiven if they forgot there were even moderates in America anymore. Fortunately, the majority of America does not subscribe to the political views prevalent in San Francisco or Lubbock, TX. I mean really, how many congressional districts in the US could Pelosi get elected in? How many states would elect Palin governor?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:23 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,753,827 times
Quote:
And the airwave media is far more heavily represented in biased conservative positions than liberal ...
The Libs tried... and failed. **cough**Air America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or