Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,308,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You sure you're not conflating "anything" with "over generalizations"?
Yeah what the hell did that mean? LOL

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,648,758 times
Quote:
You sure you're not conflating "anything" with "over generalizations"
Now I am confused.... was I over generalizing anything?

Gentoo thanks for the info on MCRD We plan to be there for his graduation,,, I tried to get him to go for wildland firefighter, but he has been seduced by the Marines fancy uniforms.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Now I am confused.... was I over generalizing anything? ...
heh ... no no no ... I am just on the lookout for any issues or words that user_id might accuse any of us of 'conflating' ... he is the self-appointed 'conflation' secret-service ... you were not over-generalizing, user_id was, and does, as you say.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM

I think this was the first time I stated my career on this forum.. specifically anyway. I was contacted by another person here, who has done the same.

Got me thinking, about this song, Those of us who have "been there" are set apart, like those who have been in combat. First time I heard this song I nearly wrecked my truck, pulled over to the side of the road crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQNeGPJdcQ

Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,859,442 times
Quote:
I think this was the first time I stated my career on this forum.. specifically anyway. I was contacted by another person here, who has done the same.

Got me thinking, about this song, Those of us who have "been there" are set apart, like those who have been in combat. First time I heard this song I nearly wrecked my truck, pulled over to the side of the road crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQNeGPJdcQ
Well, sir, for what it's worth: I have pulled over to the side of the road, similarly, uncountable times since I was 17 ... and it will never make sense to me when I read people write in about their $100K a year jobs and whining about their pensions not being enough ... I am sole support for 4 people in my retirement, on less than $45K, including the value of all my combined 'perks' such as my 'free' medical care to cover the damages I have lived with my entire adult life since age 18 in the service.

Those who have not sacrificed in war or fighting fires or patrolling the streets and such ... who have never carried the coffins or wheeled their comrades around ... they expect quite a lot. Yet, I don't feel I am being 'shorted' in life at all ... I don't miss a thing I don't have. I feel positively rich after all, with every breath.

I suspect you know what I mean

Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Yep,

Years ago I ran across this book, it has been our family bible.
Amazon.com: The Table Where Rich People Sit (9780684196534): Byrd Baylor, Peter Parnall: Books

Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,024,761 times
Quote:
I bet you think teachers get three months paid vacation. In fact, teachers are paid for 185 days, or nine months of work. Yet, the year is 12 months long. It is true that some teachers get a check in July and August, but, their nine month year is totaled and divided by 12.
Again...I must ask if this is serious? Teachers get a salary, they can divide that salary between 9 or 12 months. "Paid vacation" has no meaning here.

Quote:
Teachers also get paid for a 30 or 35 hour work week, which sound like they have a great deal of time to play, yet, most teachers put in 50-60 hours a week.
Nope, most teachers work around 40 hours a week. I dare you to find research that demonstrates that teachers typically work 50~60 hours.

Its odd that you suggest I don't know about the topic when your primary claim to authority on the topic seems to be your wife was a teacher.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No what's funny is how some have to make a sideswipe remark about others agreeing when we don't agree with that person (ie. you). We have all explained why we said the things we've said yet all you've done is make remarks about the fact we said it. You haven't given any reasonable explanation.
Yap yap yap. You're still not saying anything, nor have you asked me to explain anything. All you did was imply I didn't know about the topic because I didn't agree with you on matters.

You said you "heard" something, I suggest that its rubbish and I gave you an explanation of why I suggested that. You said teaching is "stressful", you didn't explain anything nor provide any real evidence of such. How is teaching more stressful than most other careers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Then you had the audacity to state that a teacher who may be living paycheck to paycheck isn't properly managing their finances LOL! So you're saying that the majority of teachers (yes I said majority) are just poor at budgeting?
I'm saying that people that live paycheck to paycheck aren't managing their finances well. There is no reason a teacher needs to live paycheck to paycheck, that is an active decision on their part.

The average teacher salary in California is around $56k, a single person can easily live on considerably less than that.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Its odd that you suggest I don't know about the topic when your primary claim to authority on the topic seems to be your wife was a teacher.
Really? I claimed authority? Show me.

Quote:
Teachers get a salary, they can divide that salary between 9 or 12 months. "Paid vacation" has no meaning here.
Sure they do, and likely if you get a salary it is for 51.5 weeks a year, teachers get their salary for 26 weeks a year, you might not see the difference, but they do.

Quote:
I dare you to find research that demonstrates that teachers typically work 50~60 hours.
I dare you to shadow a teacher for a week. Take something easy, like say, 3rd grade.

Shoot kid, don't you have a tree stump in your yard you could go argue with?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I dare you to shadow a teacher for a week. Take something easy, like say, 3rd grade.
I dare you to utilize logic for a week.

Your responses are vacuous, you are merely trying to imply someone you don't know a thing about doesn't know about education because they happen to disagree with you. Its crazy, logic has been thrown out the door by just about everyone.

Shadow a teacher for a week? ha....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California