Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

The typo in the quote is fixed now, at nullgeo's request. Carry on!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Here's some news updates -- with various quotes that Don9 will attack as being liberal-manufactured propaganda:

Wisconsin Governor Threatens To Replace Union Workers With National Guard

from the article:
"Citing a $137 million budget deficit, [Governor] Walker announced a plan last week which would essentially take away the public union's collective bargaining rights and slash benefits for state employees. Meanwhile, the share of corporate tax revenue funding the state government has fallen by half since 1981 and, according to Wisconsin Department of Revenue, two-thirds of corporations pay no taxes."

""If it had simply to do with the budget there doesn't seem to be a need to eliminate collective bargaining," said Joseph McCartin, a labor historian at Georgetown University. "In other states where state's municipalities have faced difficult times, unions have helped negotiate the way forward."

""none of the unions involved in this have said that they would not be willing to make sacrifices. They have said that they are, and they will." Public and private sector labor leaders in Wisconsin and around the country are joined in opposition of the bill. On a conference call on Monday, conservative and Republican employees across the state spoke out against Walker's plan. "The right to join a union and collectively bargain is a freedom that people have died to protect. To have anyone threaten to wipe it away with minimal public debate, deliberation or discussion is unconscionable," said Janice Bobholz, an employee with the Dodge County Sheriff's Department and a resident of Beaver Dam. The governor's proposal is especially painful given Wisconsin's long history of collective bargaining."

""Maybe the new governor doesn't understand yet - but the National Guard is not his own personal intimidation force to be mobilized to quash political dissent," said Robin Eckstein, a former Wisconsin National Guard member, Iraq War Veteran from Appleton, WI, and member of VoteVets.org. "The Guard is to be used in case of true emergencies and disasters, to help the people of Wisconsin, not to bully political opponents."

All said, however, Curmudgeon's observations a ways back regards to this happening in California (http://www.city-data.com/forum/17923931-post2.html) are very likely correct: like comparing oranges to cheese -- California is not a cheese state
I hope you don't expect me to read The Huffington Post

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
I hope you don't expect me to read The Huffington Pos
The Huffington Post is a digest, if you refuse to read the Huffington Post, take a few minutes to look at it, right down all the sources they use for their posts, you can start with FOX, as they use them, and keep going, don't ever read or listen to any source Huffington Posts quotes.

Clear thinking there bub.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The Huffington Post is a digest, if you refuse to read the Huffington Post, take a few minutes to look at it, right down all the sources they use for their posts, you can start with FOX, as they use them, and keep going, don't ever read or listen to any source Huffington Posts quotes.

Clear thinking there bub.
I don't need to read from these sources. I watched a few interviews with Walker and got my data directly from the source.

Here is one of them ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID19u...yer_detailpage

Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM

So, you never read or watch any major media, just youtube? That is pretty funny.

Funny thing about Arianna Huffington, she was in the local Republican Women's group with my mother. I think she switched sides after her rightwing politician husband came out gay.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
So, you never read or watch any major media, just youtube? That is pretty funny.

Funny thing about Arianna Huffington, she was in the local Republican Women's group with my mother. I think she switched sides after her rightwing politician husband came out gay.
I don't really care what she did or did not do in the past. I have watched her interviews and on panels like on "This Week" and concluded long ago she was a liberal nut job.

Unlike mainstream media, Youtube does not produce videos ... they only provide a place to share video on the internet.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I don't need to read from these sources. ... Here is one of [my sources] ...
[youtube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I don't really care what she did or did not do in the past. I have watched her interviews and on panels like on "This Week" and concluded long ago she was a liberal nut job.
Well, once again, there we have Don9 at his best ... need anyone say more? Don't read -- rather, watch Youtube for your news ... and label anyone you don't like as a "liberal nut job" ... that should suffice to declare credibility and absolve one from actually considering verifiable, journalistic quotes

Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, once again, there we have Don9 at his best ... need anyone say more? Don't read -- rather, watch Youtube for your news ... and label anyone you don't like as a "liberal nut job" ... that should suffice to declare credibility and absolve one from actually considering verifiable, journalistic quotes
I didn't call you a "liberal nut job"

Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
and concluded long ago she was a liberal nut job.
Curious, since I just told you that "long ago" she was a conservative, a republican, a member of the local Republican Women's club.

Oh, Don, what would we do without you?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I rarely agree with O'Reilly, but he poses some good questions here:
Insurrection in Wisconsin - FoxNews.com

Here's another perspective from USA Today.
Wisconsin is 'ground zero' for battle over unions - USATODAY.com

So many problems, so few solutions that arent painful.
My big problem with the clown in WI is he never campaigned on busting unions, never said a word about striping public workers of their legal right to organize, yet one of his first acts is to enact the radical right wing agenda of the Koch brothers to essentially outlaw public sector unions. I smell a rat trying to use the classic shock doctrine especially since the governor is claiming there just isn't time for a full public debate, he doesn't need to hear from the people, claims we have to act "Now, now, now!". When some partisan clown is trying to prevent the people from being heard on something as fundamental as removing basic worker rights, such as the right to organize and unionize, then you just know there is a rat. There is a reason he doesn't want the people to say what their views are just like there is a reason he's trying to prevent workers' voices from being heard. There is a dead rat stinking up the place and it is in the governor's mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California