U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times

Advertisements

I rarely agree with O'Reilly, but he poses some good questions here:
Insurrection in Wisconsin - FoxNews.com

Here's another perspective from USA Today.
Wisconsin is 'ground zero' for battle over unions - USATODAY.com

So many problems, so few solutions that arent painful.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Default Could this happen in California?

Unlikely! Don't forget, the Governor who opened the doors (and the taxpayers wallets) to the public employees labor unions in the first place is the Governor again now and the Dems still have the majority in the Legislature. In my opinion they're not about to go against one of their main campaign funding sources anytime soon.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM

16,439 posts, read 22,376,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I'm with you. I never agree with O'Reilly but this time I think he's more spot on than Obama whom I've almost always agreed with.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,594,579 times
What's the big deal.... it's called "negotiating", just as the private sector does?! Although you can be sure the Repubs position has more to do with undercutting unions' traditional support for Dems, than it does about "looking out for the taxpayer"!

Now if only they were this "vigorous" in dealing with Wall Street's "excesses" (which is what got us all here in the first place)!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm with you. I never agree with O'Reilly but this time I think he's more spot on than Obama whom I've almost always agreed with.
If the Legislature does vote to permit Proposition 63 (Mental Health Services Act - Millionaire's Tax) funds to be diverted to help close the deficit, the battle with SEIU Local 1000 in Sacramento will be joined as the Department of Mental Health will be losing 112 positions. Most of those, if not all, will likely be currently filled with real people. Some will survive by "bouncing" other staff with less seniority or taking lower positions by I doubt that all will be able to and it will still represent lost employment.

The union will decidedly fight back. Fiscal and policy committee hearings on the subject should prove interesting. Perhaps this will only be the opening salvo, but I hope not. Real people losing real jobs, especially now, is not a pleasant prospect. I worry about my former coworkers.

It will still bve up to the Governor and the Legislature so anything could happen, or not.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,957,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Unlikely! Don't forget, the Governor who opened the doors (and the taxpayers wallets) to the public employees labor unions in the first place is the Governor again now and the Dems still have the majority in the Legislature. In my opinion they're not about to go against one of their main campaign funding sources anytime soon.
California has a much worse budget crisis than Wisconsin. Bill O is 100% correct that the tax payers are tapped out. Brown has no choice but he has not acknowledged that fact.

Bill O is also correct that this civil unrest will spread like wildfire. Wisconsin is the spark to a country that is saturated with fuel.

Be Prepared! This will happen fast and furious.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM

2,926 posts, read 5,315,197 times
How are the tax payers "tapped out" when taxes are at their lowest rate in over 50 years?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,957,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
How are the tax payers "tapped out" when taxes are at their lowest rate in over 50 years?
They are at their highest levels and going higher when you add ALL taxes and fees imposed on a taxpayer which includes local, county, state and federal.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM

2,926 posts, read 5,315,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
They are at their highest levels and going higher when you add ALL taxes and fees imposed on a taxpayer which includes local, county, state and federal.
That's just not factually true.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:22 PM

26,138 posts, read 28,529,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I work in the public sector. I think some, especially the younger folks 40 and under and a fair number of the older folks kinda know the benefits are unsustainable.

But there is a hard core & vocal minority who have this entrenched entitlement mentality.

Wait until they have to cut Meicare & Social Security spending. At some point, it has to happen...in combination with tax increases. Otherwise, we're going to end up like Greece or Ireland. Unfortunately, Americans are crisis oriented and don't believe anything bad can happen until after it happens.

And you are right about there being so few soluations that aren't painful...except I'd say there are NO solutions that aren't painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or