U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,805,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think it's that damned California golden bear that's mucking things up! We should change our official state animal, downsize it to the golden mantled chipmunk.

[Wikipedia commons image]
Things that make you go "hmmmmm" ... Chipmunks love nuts -- California loves nuts ... works for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,805,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Though not arguing with your sentiments or the article, if you really want to look at this in a more comprehensive way I'd also suggest you read this article published some time ago by the very liberal Village Voice. It goes into a lot of the specific core issues, and when you take the stuff highlighted by your initial posting article and juxtaposition it with this article from the Village Voice, you really get a more thorough picture of the problem now cascading down towards the state and local employees:

HUD's Andrew Cuomo made a series of decisions between 1997 and 2001...that helped plunge Fannie and Freddie into the subprime markets without putting in place the means to monitor their increasingly risky investments. He turned the Federal Housing Administration mortgage program into a sweetheart lender with sky-high loan ceilings and no money down, and he legalized what a federal judge has branded "kickbacks" to brokers that have fueled the sale of overpriced and unsupportable loans.

Andrew Cuomo and Fannie and Freddie - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice
Another good citation piece from you ... thanks for the link ... good investigative journalism. Not new news to me, but the depth really fills in more of the blanks on the issue, as you said.

I don't really separate the politicians (or the politicians' and bankers' self-serving lawyers and accountants) from the money-changers ... it is a symbiotic relationship, somewhat -- er, very -- similar to parasite / host relationships throughout nature. The money-minds are the carriers, the others are necessary bacteria Cuomo is a young Turk ... and those of his political ilk are egotists who thrive on obtaining their fix of adoration and power through showmanship without much (if any) true expertise in anything except bullsh8t. Clinton (who has always given me the creeps) threw the dog a bone and failed to consider that chewing leads to more chewing.

But what remains at the core is that the only minds that could create the "products" of destruction are the same that knew full well the false promises were basically Ponzi. These are people who crave power through financial manipulation beyond their (or anyone's) needs. The political agendas the loans could facilitate only came into being because of the availability of the money -- availability of money is the root. The "money-changers" -- the packagers -- created wealth out of thin air, basically ... opportunism at its most nefarious ... and only these guys were cleverly sophisticated enough, and had access to the financial resources to start the ball rolling, to put the plans into action. Blaming the consumers is about at the same level as blaming a kindergarten class for losing a football game to the Green Bay Packers. One can call the kindergarteners "stupid" and "irresponsible" if one so wishes -- 'tis not entirely incorrect. But what do you call the Packers for playing the game?

I repeat the quote from Rolling Stone:
"But these frauds are worse than common robberies. They're crimes of intellectual choice, made by people who are already rich and who have every conceivable social advantage, acting on a simple, cynical calculation: Let's steal whatever we can, then dare the victims to find the juice to reclaim their money through a captive bureaucracy."

Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,888,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Another good citation piece from you ... thanks for the link ... good investigative journalism. Not new news to me, but the depth really fills in more of the blanks on the issue, as you said.

I don't really separate the politicians (or the politicians' and bankers' self-serving lawyers and accountants) from the money-changers ... it is a symbiotic relationship, somewhat -- er, very -- similar to parasite / host relationships throughout nature. The money-minds are the carriers, the others are necessary bacteria Cuomo is a young Turk ... and those of his political ilk are egotists who thrive on obtaining their fix of adoration and power through showmanship without much (if any) true expertise in anything except bullsh8t. Clinton (who has always given me the creeps) threw the dog a bone and failed to consider that chewing leads to more chewing.

But what remains at the core is that the only minds that could create the "products" of destruction are the same that knew full well the false promises were basically Ponzi. These are people who crave power through financial manipulation beyond their (or anyone's) needs. The political agendas the loans could facilitate only came into being because of the availability of the money -- availability of money is the root. The "money-changers" -- the packagers -- created wealth out of thin air, basically ... opportunism at its most nefarious ... and only these guys were cleverly sophisticated enough, and had access to the financial resources to start the ball rolling, to put the plans into action. Blaming the consumers is about at the same level as blaming a kindergarten class for losing a football game to the Green Bay Packers. One can call the kindergarteners "stupid" and "irresponsible" if one so wishes -- 'tis not entirely incorrect. But what do you call the Packers for playing the game?

I repeat the quote from Rolling Stone:
"But these frauds are worse than common robberies. They're crimes of intellectual choice, made by people who are already rich and who have every conceivable social advantage, acting on a simple, cynical calculation: Let's steal whatever we can, then dare the victims to find the juice to reclaim their money through a captive bureaucracy."
The same greed that propelled every Tom Dick and Harry to become a Realtor and peddle smut to people who couldn't afford it... The same greed that propelled the 'fool' to try to acquire more than what they worked for. Yes, those at the top have more intelligence... Along every step up the ladder there was a bit more... But everyone had their role and place who was involved... Everyone had the same disease... And in life, being stupid/ignorant has its consequences. A fool and his money shall soon depart .. Ignorance is bliss and it is a death wish to your $$$.

So, being clear again.. I see the criminals at the top for who they are. But I also so the ones at the bottom. I make no excuses for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or