Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM

51 posts, read 81,451 times

Advertisements

lol dont fear proud mommy though i am thinking about becoming a beach bum and begging for cans; just so you and a few others have somethin else to complain about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,639 times
Once you get your associates degree you could probably make the move out here. But before you move you have to pick a college. I suggest finding a public LAC(because they are much cheaper than private) or chose a Cal State school that you like. Those would have the cheapest tuition for the first year here. If you don't mind paying above 30k for tuition you could look at private schools and UC's. Then once you found your college start looking at places to live nearby. Some cities will be cheaper than others so if that concerns you then take that into consideration when choosing a college. Once you find an area you want to live in than get prepared with all the paperwork for residency and the DMV. Once you have done that you can move here .

Once you move here immediately submit you papers for residency(I don't know what they are but you could go here State of California and find out). You must also register your license and car right when you get here.
Doing all of this will make your wait for residency shorter and also colleges might look at this and will sometimes wave the out of state because it shows that you intend to stay. If not then they will definitely make the residency wait shorter. Good Luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
What are your grades like? Apply to a few and see what happens. Maybe you can defer your acceptance until you get residency? I don't know exactly how that works. Off the top of my head the UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara might be worth looking into. They are fairly competitive.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
i get my tuition waved at any state school under the CalVet program. (father is a purple heart
He can't be just a purple heart, he must be totally disabled. Or, permanently disabled and poor. You will need to determine if his out of state residency cancels the deal.
Quote:
Plan A:
The spouse, registered domestic partner, child (under the age of 27) or unmarried surviving spouse of a veteran who is totally service-connected disabled, or who has died of service-connected causes may qualify.

Plan B:
The child of a veteran who has a permanent service-connected disability. The child’s income and value of support provided by a parent cannot exceed the national poverty level. To view this year’s poverty level, go to Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance. Note: All students must meet California residency requirements.
My suggestion, go to this website, Employment Introduction

Get hired as a firefighter here in CA, you will make money, and establish residency, make life long friends and man up. Federal Wildland Firefighter will allow you to make more money than any job a relatively unskilled person can get, aside from Alaska crab fishing.....

When the season is over, go to school.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM

51 posts, read 81,451 times
Thanks guys, yeah im thinking of attending a private college or ill just wait til i defiantly establish residency, its a difficult process and varies from college to college. I was really interested in Cal Poly, though they weren't accepting any applications til fall 2012!! and to add to that you must have lived in CA for 3 years providing tax documentation.

My grades- fairly well my *** gpa is 3.4 right now, though i wouldn't stick out like a few kids i have seen in other forums, such as attending clubs and whatnot.

and .highnlite- Yeah my fathers 100 percent disabled and i meet the qualifications. I spoke to several VA reps and they said after i fill out the paperwork they will submit a certificate or whatever, then its sent to the school i plan to attend--however i must be a resident for this!
and thanks for the recommended firefighter position, ive actually always wanted to do something related to that! Ill defiantly look into it!thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California