U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM

116 posts, read 204,539 times
Default Does California have rent or property tax refund program?

Hi, every other state I have lives in gives annual refunds to most or some renters and property owners, based on their incomes and rent or property tax paid. For example, Maine, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Michigan have these programs. Refunds can be anywhere from $300 to over $1000 per year.

Does California have such a program? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM

11,727 posts, read 23,997,516 times
Renter's credit: Nonrefundable Renter Credit

$60/yr for an individual and you can't it if you actually make enough to live on your own.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 54,224 times
Yes it does. I used to get serious tax breaks when I owned, except in the end it was still not worth doing it.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Thanks! I checked the link EscapeCalifornia...thanks. It's too bad I don't have any tax liability, so I can't get a refund. In those other states, they pay you cash.

Last edited by mileena; 02-20-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM

645 posts, read 1,113,709 times
Yes, Our taxes for our property, and the interest on the mortgage are tax deductions. There are other types of deductions as well regarding hybrid vehicles and solar home improvements I think.

As a renter, I do not think you can deduct as much. If you own rental property and a home, even out of stae of CA the deductions apply as well to the Rental Property, at least for owning it in the state of Arizona.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:43 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,708,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
Thanks! I checked the link EscapeCalifornia...thanks. It's too bad I don't have any tax liability, so I can't get a refund. In those other states, they pay you cash.
The non-renters subsidize renters?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
The non-renters subsidize renters?
No, the state government subsidizes just about everyone's housing costs in many states, both property owners and renters, assuming your income is low enough I lived in Maine and Pennsylvania in the 90's and 2000's and got refunds from the state in the form of a check, ranging from $400 to $700 each year. You file a form each year similar to a tax return and get your refund. I know NJ has a similar program, though it's said to be a sneaky way for the state to catch landlords who don't report their rental income to the state, since renters have to declare who their landlords are, the landlord's Social Security number, and show canceled rent checks to get their refunds. there's a way to get the refunds without using your landlord's SSN too.

I'm disappointed California is so behind the times when it comes to subsidizing housing expenses for low-income residents. Even Alaska has the Permanent Fund, where each resident, including babies, gets like $1,000 a year from the state (though this is not a housing refund and the amount varies each year--one year it was around $3,000 per resident!). And the Section 8 waiting lists, and waits to even get on a waiting list here in California, are insane! You have to wait 5-6 years for the Section 8 list to open (Oakland's just opened for 5 days and then closed a few weeks ago for the first time in 6 years I think), then wait up to another 5 years to get your voucher. Then find a place fast before they expire and hope you don't have to live in Antioch. You may not even get a place on the waiting list, since places are offered by lottery, based on a weighted system, with veterans, disabled, elderly, and local residents getting priority. Oakland had about 10,000 slots for federal vouchers on their waiting list and about 100,000 applicants for those slots in just one week!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Here is Maine's program:

Maine Revenue Services: Tax Relief - Maine Residents Property Tax and Rent Refund Program

Here is PA's:

Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program

Here is NJ's:

NJ Division of Taxation - Homestead Rebate Information for Tenants Age 65 or Older and/or Disabled (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/homestead/hrgeninf.shtml - broken link)

Michigan:

Taxes - Homestead Property Tax Credit

NY doesn't have a program AFAIK, but they are lucky in that some cities have rent control.

I think these programs are more popular in the northeast and midwest, which tend to be liberal.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Yes, Our taxes for our property, and the interest on the mortgage are tax deductions. There are other types of deductions as well regarding hybrid vehicles and solar home improvements I think.

As a renter, I do not think you can deduct as much. If you own rental property and a home, even out of stae of CA the deductions apply as well to the Rental Property, at least for owning it in the state of Arizona.
That's too bad. See, for me, tax deductions are useless, since I never owe any income taxes, as my income is too low. I live off Social Security Disability and CalFresh (which is called "SNAP"--Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program--nationally, and which was formerly known as "food stamps") each month, and my annual income is less than $10,000. But when I was on the east coast, the state sent me money back each year to help subsidize my rent.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,788,409 times
I'm happy that you need income in order to earn a deduction. I don't see it as behind the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California