U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM

15,422 posts, read 25,314,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Agreed. They should move them to San Jose. Although this may hurt the Warriors. I'd assume there may be some difficulty using the HP pavillion though, since NHL and NBA season overlap significantly.
I don't think it would be a problem really. Staples Center can handle two NBA teams and an NHL team fine it seems. Lots of arenas host both NBA and NHL games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM

15,422 posts, read 25,314,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
It seems when we in SoCal read or hear speculation about which team could conceivably move to here, the Raiders aren't mentioned as often as Jacksonville, San Diego, Buffalo, or even Minnesota. I'll admit I don't follow it that closely. I just wonder if the Oakland franchise is less healthy or more reluctant to move than those teams above.
I really don't get why either really, probably because of Al Davis. Raiders always have trouble selling out, the coliseum is a dump, and LA already has a large, established Raider fan base and still has Raiders team stores.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

964 posts, read 2,345,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think it would be a problem really. Staples Center can handle two NBA teams and an NHL team fine it seems. Lots of arenas host both NBA and NHL games.

At one point the mammoth Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum served as the home of the Rams, UCLA, USC, and the Dodgers simultaneously.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,914,242 times
If the Kings move to Anaheim, it is going to force the Clippers to sink or swim. David Stern just cares about multiple franchises in LA. So be it if the Staples Center loses a tenant and the Clippers have to go to a city that just built a new arena. It would just be a travesty if Donald Sterling were the one to get to move to Vegas. But the contemporary NBA is all about ultra modern brand-new arenas with all the bells and whistles.

But we are starting to see another NBA with LeBron and Bosh going to Miami and Melo going to the Knicks. Young multimillionaires don't want to live and play in cowtowns. The NBA can ramrod Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Utah, and Memphis down everyone's throats all they want to. They can draft but no free agents will sign there. When was the last time one of those franchises or Toronto, New Orleans, Charlotte, Denver, Minnesota, or Cleveland has signed a big named free agent?

NBA players want to be in Southern California, South Florida, and Orlando (cities with palm trees and beautiful women), Texas (where the land is so cheap you automatically become JR Ewing if you play pro sports), or in the Northeast (where sports is larger than life and fans from different cities battle for you like clans in "Braveheart").

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
If the Kings move to Anaheim, it is going to force the Clippers to sink or swim. David Stern just cares about multiple franchises in LA. So be it if the Staples Center loses a tenant and the Clippers have to go to a city that just built a new arena. It would just be a travesty if Donald Sterling were the one to get to move to Vegas. But the contemporary NBA is all about ultra modern brand-new arenas with all the bells and whistles.

But we are starting to see another NBA with LeBron and Bosh going to Miami and Melo going to the Knicks. Young multimillionaires don't want to live and play in cowtowns. The NBA can ramrod Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Utah, and Memphis down everyone's throats all they want to. They can draft but no free agents will sign there. When was the last time one of those franchises or Toronto, New Orleans, Charlotte, Denver, Minnesota, or Cleveland has signed a big named free agent?

NBA players want to be in Southern California, South Florida, and Orlando (cities with palm trees and beautiful women), Texas (where the land is so cheap you automatically become JR Ewing if you play pro sports), or in the Northeast (where sports is larger than life and fans from different cities battle for you like clans in "Braveheart").
I hate to admit it, but this post makes a lot of sense. Bummer.

I read Lew Alcindor's (KAJ) book "Giant Steps" and in it he pretty much supported this post above. He hated playing in Milwaukee and really wanted to play in LA or NY (his home town). So, in 1975 he signed with the Lakers; Four years later the Lakers draft Magic and the rest is history. Milwaukee was a little too non-diverse for Alcindor (who at the time wasn't particularly enamored with white people - or those who make up a large component of Milwaukee).

Last edited by proudmommy; 02-21-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM

15,690 posts, read 26,663,721 times
LA already has the Kings and they play at the Staples Center like the Lakers and Clippers do. LOL

That being said, No wonder Sacramento doesn't want to build them a new home. Have you seen their stats?

Now I am wondering how they would do against the LA Kings Hockey Team. Maybe that would be a good matchup for them, Kings against Kings.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,098,571 times
The new arena was never built because the Maloofs expected the City of Sacramento (taxpayers) to fund it.

They didn't spend millions to build it. They spent millions to promote their desire to have the public fund an arena for the a private sector business. The issue of a tax payer funded arena actually went up for vote here in 2006 and failed.

Several other ideas have come up since then, including the most recent land swap proposal. All of them would have been at varying degrees of public expense.

The only people crying about the Kings leaving up here are the Kings fans. Really, the rest of us are worn out on the issue.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,077,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Sacramento is kind of a really odd city when it comes to sports.

The metro area is larger than places such as Indianapolis, Charlotte, Kansas City, Nashville and Milwaukee, yet those metro areas all have multiple pro teams and multiple pro facilities. Yet, Sacramento can't even adequately support a single major league club.

Other places I've lived, like Cleveland, Kansas City and Philly, you'd see folks wearing team jackets or shirts, and have team logos plastered inside of car rear windows. Here, you see absolutely none of that at all.

I have little doubt the Kings are seriously considering leaving, the support for the team isn't all that strong here. I doubt if over 10% of the population here would be upset about their departures.

Very odd.
I agree with what another poster said about this - Californians in general don't seem all that big on sports. You'll see a bunch of fans, sure, but living in the bay area I didn't get the sense that sports were as big as in other cities/regions, even though there were 2 football teams, 2 baseball teams, a hockey team, and a basketball team (with the Kings not too far away). We found that Denver is a HUGE sports town in comparison, even though it's a smaller market. Tons of fans, and loyal fans at that. People out here love their teams and they support their teams. A bit different than what I experienced in California.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,903,829 times
Fatal errors on Maloof part if they move to LA, where there are already two teams. The fortunes of Maloof, if not already collapsing, will definitely if they move to Orange county or LA. The best suggestions are Kansas City, San Jose and San Antonio.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Fatal errors on Maloof part if they move to LA, where there are already two teams. The fortunes of Maloof, if not already collapsing, will definitely if they move to Orange county or LA. The best suggestions are Kansas City, San Jose and San Antonio.

I wonder if people were saying the same thing when the Clippers moved to LA - they'd never make it under the Laker shadow.

They continue to be in the Lakers shadow.
Before Blake they really never had a nationally recognized star.
They continue to lose.

Yet, they're still here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or