U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,195,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Note: I would like to read from CA natives, not transplants.

Do any other CA natives get tired of "Cali" being regarded by other Americans as being a place to go to escape their native cities or regions?

It just seems like CA is a default location in the minds of so many of those escape-minded people.

They seem to think it is an answer to their problems or the place to start a new life for themselves.. where they can reinvent themselves.

They don't seem to understand that they will just bring their flaws and personal problems with them, and that CA is just not going to be the solution to those problems.

Yes, I know, any American can move anywhere in America. Yes, I know, CA has been a destination state for some time. I'll pass on any such lecturing.
So write your congressman and tell them to build a fence at the border. Because generally speaking those are the only folks trying to escape to California. English speaking people, including california natives, have been fleeing california much faster than americans from other states replacing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM

148 posts, read 269,930 times
Exactly right Norcal

Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,195,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
To clarify, I was referring to Americans born outside of CA, wanting to move to CA. Not to refugees from third world countries. That would be another topic.

Interesting replies so far, though.

The funniest thing about many California natives is that they have a perception that english speaking citizens whom pay tax dollars are more of a burdern than people from the 3rd world who mooch from the system and turn neighborhoods and communnities upside down.

One group brings gangs and drugs and crime and drag down the local schools, the other brings a six figure salary.

This is part of the reason california is in the mess it is in, people here no longer have the simple ability to put 2 and 2 together.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 2,867,823 times
Quote:
The funniest thing about many California natives is that they have a perception that english speaking citizens whom pay tax dollars are more of a burdern than people from the 3rd world who mooch from the system and turn neighborhoods and communnities upside down.

One group brings gangs and drugs and crime and drag down the local schools, the other brings a six figure salary.

This is part of the reason california is in the mess it is in, people here no longer have the simple ability to put 2 and 2 together.
That statement is not based on any form of actual reality.

Grow your own dope, plant a Republican.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM

964 posts, read 1,364,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post

All these people move here with money and drive up prices that were relatively affordable 10-15 years ago and still well above inflation.
I wonder if this is really a significant component of the reason SoCal housing prices are (currently) so much higher than elsewhere. Or, has the bubble not quite done bursting yet? Meaning, I think you are correct, but possibly not for the reason you wrote. How many people with money have moved to SoCal in the past 15 years anyway? Enough to seriously affect housing prices?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,306,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
I wonder if this is really a significant component of the reason SoCal housing prices are (currently) so much higher than elsewhere. Or, has the bubble not quite done bursting yet? Meaning, I think you are correct, but possibly not for the reason you wrote. How many people with money have moved to SoCal in the past 15 years anyway? Enough to seriously affect housing prices?
In my experience, you're talking about boomers with money moving from out of state or buying other properties as income properties with funds they have saved up. As it is, places that collapsed HARD like the IE have people buying houses for cash as income properties. I know this because I competed against them for a house for my family, and 9 times out of 10 a cash only investor picked up a house before I could even get a bid in. I've read that northern areas like Tracy have a big number of foreign investors, Chinese and the like, and I imagine the proximity to Silicon Valley makes an impact on that, since that's where the H1B's go.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 5,286,572 times
The OP should go to the Seattle, Portland, Boise, Salt Lake City, and Denver forums on here. They'll soon get the impression that there are tons of people escaping California.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM

45 posts, read 45,502 times
I think that one thing that gets missed out on these boards is that CA gets a lot of "legal" immigrants too who speak English (at least somewhat), have a bachelors degree (and many cases masters degree) and pay a lot of taxes. This is especially true in Northern CA and in places like Sunnyvale and Santa Clara driven by Silicon Valley. I wonder if that offsets some of the native CA folks fleeing the state.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,005,260 times
I'm one of those annoying transplants that moved across the country in search of a better life. I left the close-minded ignorant South East, with its terrible racism and awful weather in search of an open minded, cosmopolitan, and urban lifestyle with great weather. And boy did I find it!

Since moving here, I've taken full advantage of the community college system and cheap in-state tuition at a CSU. I made more money bartending and waiting tables here than I could have ever imagined. I'm even getting my Master's at a CSU that's fully funded!

I love everything about California, mostly because each and every one of my dreams has actually come true! Pretty much everything you said in your original post is complete BS and it sounds like you just didn't work hard enough to get what you wanted in life. I came to CA in 2005 with basically nothing but the bags on my back and the will to succeed. Whatever flaws I brought along with me...well, I guess everyone will just have to get used to them

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 02-21-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 PM

753 posts, read 764,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I like the anger, NCD.

Don't worry, I resent the third world people too, and moreso than the people who come here from other parts of the US to keep the COL high and the traffic thick.

However, ranting about the third world people would deserve its own thread. You can start one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California