Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's a big mistake for the Californians to move elsewhere and then biatch about their new home. (And bad for native Californians when the transplants aren't even CA natives. They're giving us natives a bad name.) I surely do not intend to make that mistake wherever I end up. What it is is what it is. As a transplant if you don't like it then don't go there.
I have learned the same from this forum- moving elsewhere by one's own free will and then complaining that it's not like somewhere else is a really mindless thing to do.

I'm not sure where I'll be in the next few years but I will have accepted that city's compromises, inasmuch as I can, before I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The OP can desire to hear only from CA natives all he likes but any C-D member has the right to post in any and every topic at C-D as long as they follow the C-D TOS. The OP can request natives only but members are free to do whatever they like. That seems fair to me.
I stated my request in bold to get more than fewer CA natives' POV's.

Of course anyone can post in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I stated my request in bold to get more than fewer CA natives' POV's.
That's like herding rattlesnakes. Or cats. Or both, together!

Moving to some place and then bashing it to natives is really stupid because all it makes the natives do is dislike you and dislike your ilk. For example I have a dislike of New Yorkers because of meeting them here in L.A. and hearing them complain and whine about something in L.A. that isn't as good as what they've got back in New York. I've never even been to New York, nor do I want to, but it's silly that I should dislike a state just because of a few natives coming out here and bashing my own native state!

Wherever I end up I'll try to learn the likes and dislikes of the natives, and then respect them. I'm going to really want friends and bashing their city or state is not any good way to make friends.

Probably some people just like whining and complaining and do it wherever they go. In fact one of my best friends is like that. I just ignore his whining. He's a good friend otherwise.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
Our family moved to California in 1977, when my dad was in his forties and I was in high school. Since then, we've prospered. I still live in California and have no plans to leave.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Stay away from these hill men.
Needs graphics

Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Wow. It's hard to believe those people aren't made up by Hollywood makeup artists. Yet you know they're real people just looking at them.

Just think of it this way. When your sister is also your cousin and your brother is also your uncle that's just their way of having a closer family.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,155 times
I'm a CA native (San Jose) who moved away to Denver 5 years ago with my wife. I was amazed to find so many CA transplants out here. I swear I see a CA license plate almost every day on the road, mostly from SoCal areas (I always read the license plate frames if I can). Every transplant I talk to loves it here, despite the colder winters/snow. It's more affordable and plenty to do - it's a huge outdoorsy city and it's probably the closest you'll get to CA outside of CA, especially with all the ex-Californians out here!

We really like it here but have been longing to move back closer to family, and are actually planning a move to Roseville this spring/summer. The weather doesn't really bother us, but we miss the relationships. We know we're in for some compromises moving back (smaller home, higher cost of living, etc), but it shouldn't be so bad in that area as the cost of living is pretty similar to where we're at now in the south Denver metro area - though taxes are higher. After having our second daughter we just felt it would be best to be able to visit family more often.

We're not escaping anything, we know exactly what we're moving back to. We're a little scared and we hope we'll be able to adjust to the compromises, but we'll have friends and family helping us get over Denver, and the weather won't be so bad either. It is funny listening to peoples' perception of CA that have never been there though. It's interesting. Most of the CO natives out here think Californians are crazy to pay that much to live out there, regardless of how good the weather is. Part of me agrees with them, but then again I'm a CA native, so I'm just a little crazy myself. Though I don't ever see us moving back to the bay area, or any of the super high priced areas in the state (unless we win the lottery).

Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
You will have better fruits and vegetables out here, almost all year round you can grow something in Roseville.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Proudmommy did you make a visit out to highonlites place? LOL

OH wait sorry that be the MOzarker Curmie!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Remember, Curmie was a Sacramento Bureaucrat, I am not sure

he would fit in with the actual Ozarkers,

Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,282 times
I am a CA native and am very proud to be one. California is so positive and heart warming and friendly even in this bad economy. The diverse cultures, unique topography, wonderful cities with their own charms, along with the other stuff I mentioned keeps me here. If you want to be able to enjoy this, you got to be able to pay. Instead of complaining about how expensive it is, why don't you just leave? Nothing is stopping you. Personally I wouldn't want to live in some backwards, racist, humid, depressing state no matter how cheap they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California