U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM

757 posts, read 1,468,877 times

Advertisements

Note: I would like to read from CA natives, not transplants.

Do any other CA natives get tired of "Cali" being regarded by other Americans as being a place to go to escape their native cities or regions?

It just seems like CA is a default location in the minds of so many of those escape-minded people.

They seem to think it is an answer to their problems or the place to start a new life for themselves.. where they can reinvent themselves.

They don't seem to understand that they will just bring their flaws and personal problems with them, and that CA is just not going to be the solution to those problems.

Yes, I know, any American can move anywhere in America. Yes, I know, CA has been a destination state for some time. I'll pass on any such lecturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,317,523 times
You have it wrong. CA is the "escape from" state, not the "escape to" state. Anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't lived in CA. I think what it is, CA has become some magical place where people who don't follow the news think that everything is perfect.*

It snot. ... Oops. I mean it's not!

* We have the best weather in US. That's it.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

Do any other CA natives get tired of "Cali" being regarded by other Americans as being a place to go to escape their native cities or regions?

It just seems like CA is a default location in the minds of so many of those escape-minded people.

They seem to think it is an answer to their problems or the place to start a new life for themselves.. where they can reinvent themselves.

They don't seem to understand that they will just bring their flaws and personal problems with them, and that CA is just not going to be the solution to those problems.

Yes, I know, any American can move anywhere in America. Yes, I know, CA has been a destination state for some time. I'll pass on any such lecturing.
Serious question, SJ. Have you taken a census count to see how many of those who wish to move to California are teens-t-20-somethings who wish to escape to the Nirvana portrayed in movies and television and how many are established where they are and believe CA will be an upgrade?

I haven't but I imagine the results would be interesting. Add in those from other countries and factor in those, from any of the categories, who have never stepped foot in CA and I think it would be enlightening.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 PM

148 posts, read 502,660 times
Cali sucks. Why would anyone want to move here?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM

964 posts, read 2,352,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

Well it is February. About now is when you read a lot of City-Data posts from people who have had it with winter weather. Those big video rooms and sub $100/sqft homes lose their luster about now; Paying $200/sqft to have 73F weather in February seems like a deal. What's worse is it is only February - only eight more weeks of gloomy, depressing, wet, ugly, rainy weather. Just in time for a couple mild weeks until the humidity and bugs and picnic ruining thunderstorms kick in. After that it all starts over again - back inside - back to the cool video room to sit on their butts watching movie after movie. A video room, or an elaborate dining room or a one acre lot (so they don't have to interface with their neighbors) as a consolation prize to not living in California.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,373,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You have it wrong. CA is the "escape from" state, not the "escape to" state. Anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't lived in CA. I think what it is, CA has become some magical place where people who don't follow the news think that everything is perfect.*

It snot. ... Oops. I mean it's not!

* We have the best weather in US. That's it.
Exactly, +1. If I remember right most of CA's growth during the past decade has to do more with people immigrating from other countries than from other states, because for as many people that are coming into CA, just as many people are getting out of CA.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,466,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Exactly, +1. If I remember right most of CA's growth during the past decade has to do more with people immigrating from other countries than from other states, because for as many people that are coming into CA, just as many people are getting out of CA.
OC Register - OC migration map

Northeast moves to SoCal, we move everywhere else. Doesn't apply to all of California, but it provides a basis. Source within has an interactive map that may work for all of CA.

Personally, as a native, I love CA, but I hate the cost and the people that run it. I have a young family, we can't afford a house anywhere with a decent commute despite having at/above the median income for our city and county(which is outrageous). Have to have a 2 hour commute to meet the same affordability standards as other Western areas like Denver, Phoenix, SLC, etc. Same house built by the same company in the same time period costs 700k here and 300k in Denver, but wages are barely different and all taxes are less over there.

All these people move here with money and drive up prices that were relatively affordable 10-15 years ago and still well above inflation. It may be a bit of whining and sour grapes, but it is true. Unfortunately, a bank screwed us on our first attempt to move out of state and I lost my job in escrow on the second attempt, so I haven't been able to put my money where my mouth is just yet.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,956,839 times
At this point in the game the milk is spoiled so you have to eat your favorite cereal dry.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM

757 posts, read 1,468,877 times
To clarify, I was referring to Americans born outside of CA, wanting to move to CA. Not to refugees from third world countries. That would be another topic.

Interesting replies so far, though.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,974,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Personally, as a native, I love CA, but I hate the cost and the people that run it. I have a young family, we can't afford a house anywhere with a decent commute despite having at/above the median income for our city and county(which is outrageous). Have to have a 2 hour commute to meet the same affordability standards as other Western areas like Denver, Phoenix, SLC, etc. Same house built by the same company in the same time period costs 700k here and 300k in Denver, but wages are barely different and all taxes are less over there.
We're in very similar situations except you're further along in the family department. We've got our first on the way and it only magnifies our desire to get out. I don't want to raise a family in an apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
All these people move here with money and drive up prices that were relatively affordable 10-15 years ago and still well above inflation. It may be a bit of whining and sour grapes, but it is true.
Yep, unlike most cities, we're not competing against local people with local pay. SoCal wages aren't much above the national average, yet we compete for housing with the nation's (and even the world's) wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or