U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 AM

10 posts, read 13,897 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving SOMEWHERE (probably CA) from NC in the near future, should I do it considering the following...

- I have NO money
- I have NO job
- I have terrible credit
- I won't have a vehicle
- I won't have NO place to stay
- I don't know anyone there

I'm well aware that I will have a VERY hard life if I were to make this type of move, but I'm optimistic and determined to make it. A little background about me..I went off to college in August 2005, to a school that I couldn't afford and I ended up being left with a balance after two years (May 2007). I was out of school for a 1.5 years because of the balance, in which I finally was able to pay off and transfer to another school in January 2009. All was fine until August 2009, when some history about me got out and caused be to totally shutdown and as a result I stopped going to class. I was able to transfer to another school in January 2010 after the most hellish 4 months of my life. I thought everything was fine, but it wasn't..I was still suffering from the what happened to me at my last school and as a result I didn't go to class at my new school. I decided I couldn't take it anymore and came back home in April 2010--a month before the semester was over. As a result, I was left with a balance for the semester of money I owed due to the fact that I didn't go to class. I finally got a job in a October 2010 and was doing well, saving money for school. Then in early December 2010, I stupidly quit my job because I thought some co-workers knew of my "past" and I was afraid rumor was going to spread all over again and mentally I couldn't take that so I ran like I do best. I ended up moving to NYC from December 2010-January 2011 with the money I saved. I had never been there before and knew no one, had no job or no place to stay. I ended up living in shelters until my safety was being threatened so I moved back into a hostel until I went broke and came back home in January 2011. So I've allowed myself to completely set my life back for 18 months because of something stupid. Instead of graduating from college in December 2010.

OK...sorry to totally go off like I did, but I felt like I needed to fill you guys in on some background info. The main reason I want to leave is because as long as I stay home, I'm going to be lazy and not amount to anything. I feel that if I was put into a situation where I was forced to push so that I could survive, then I'd flourish.

Why Cali? I've always wanted to live there. I also have dreams of becoming an actor, but that's a side note right now. What I want to accomplish in 2011 is..getting a job, my own place, paying off school debt, re-enrolling in school and finally enjoying life instead of running.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 AM

964 posts, read 2,342,722 times
If you move to CA will you be an overall contributor to the system or an overall burden to the system? Will you pay more in taxes than you will receive in services?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 AM

4,900 posts, read 6,297,463 times
From NC to CA..should I?-troll-web1asd.jpg

Old 02-22-2011, 03:40 PM

I'm not looking to go out to Cali so that I can make it big, I just want to be settled and live comfortably--eventually. I know things will be tough at first, unless I get a big break immediately--anything is possible, but I expect to go through the motions for the most part in the beginning. Like I said earlier, I won't have any money, no shelter, no friends, no family..nothing but luggage. If I can find a job..ANY job (legal); immediately and maybe if I explain my situation..my employer would let me stay in the building overnight or something..if its a building...idk.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'm not being a troll dude, this is my real ****ing life!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,315,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakevonz View Post
Thoughts?
Keep running. Now's not the right time and you're not anywhere near ready. CA owes you nothing and you'll just be another drag on its limited resources.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,601,117 times
Sounds a little crazy there -- do what you gotta do, I guess.

Forgot his name, the main actor in Avatar was living in his car till he landed the role.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:57 PM

30,455 posts, read 33,242,202 times
Absolutely. Move to the highest COL place you can think of, preferably in the most desireable area like right near the beach. I'm sure it will all work out and you will be "discovered" and in no time be very famous.

Quote:
Forgot his name, the main actor in Avatar was living in his car till he landed the role.
Sam Worthington. In Austrialia. After he was already successful and famous there and accumulating a lot of money and stuff. He wasn't
homeless, or poor.

Last edited by Ceece; 02-22-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,601,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Absolutely. Move to the highest COL place you can think of, preferably in the most desireable area like right near the beach. I'm sure it will all work out and you will be "discovered" and in no time be very famous.

Sam Worthington. In Austrialia. After he was already successful and famous there and accumulating a lot of money and stuff. He wasn't
homeless, or poor.
Quote:
Worthington says that when he was about 30, he sold most of his possessions and ended up with around $2000 to his name. He says he bought a car with the proceeds and was living in it before he successfully auditioned for his role in Avatar.[14] He then found a place to live.[15]
source

Yes he did have some success early on.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,613,082 times
Wait, I saw this movie, kid from the country moves to the city to make it big, doesn't know anyone, has no money, no place to stay.... Midnight Cowboy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California