Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM

2,409 posts, read 4,433,938 times

Advertisements

According to Vehicle Code, if you drove the car at any time in California before you returned to Texas, the fees were due and earned and not returnable.

What is the status of the title right now? If the title is listed in someone else's name, but properly signed over to you, then you could just re-do it in Texas.

You can ask that the California DMV withdraw your application and refund the fees as you're not going to title there after all. It is not a requirement that they do so, but it's a bit of a grey area and sometimes they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I actually had a similar situation in the past. I couldn't get my truck to pass smog, but paid the registration fee anyway. It went into an "incomplete registration" status. No new sticker was issued and I got stopped and cited by the CHP for no tags. Went to court and pointed out in the vehicle code where it says it's OK to drive with an incomplete registration. Judge dismissed the case and was about to impose a $10 dismissal fee. I said "Your honor, the reason I couldn't smog the truck was because I was poor. Now you're going to assess a fee on a person for being right , but poor?"

He dismissed the fee as well.
You wouldn't happen to know section of the California Vehicle Code that states it's ok to drive with an incomplete registration?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times
DMenscha:
Would you mind telling me what part of what code you're referring to? I would really like to know since I'm poor and might need that info in the future. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 PM

2,409 posts, read 4,433,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvilla3425 View Post
You wouldn't happen to know section of the California Vehicle Code that states it's ok to drive with an incomplete registration?
I don't know of any section of the Vehicle Code that says that. The Vehicle Code is available online if anyone wants to search it themselves.

The part about incomplete registration has always been a jurisdiction thing--some police officers honored it, some didn't, some judges honored it, some didn't. The official DMV stance--the last time I heard it--was that a vehicle wasn't "registered" until it was totally registered, and anything keeping it incomplete was dealt with. Anything different would be between you and the court.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:35 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,968,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I actually had a similar situation in the past. I couldn't get my truck to pass smog, but paid the registration fee anyway. It went into an "incomplete registration" status. No new sticker was issued and I got stopped and cited by the CHP for no tags. Went to court and pointed out in the vehicle code where it says it's OK to drive with an incomplete registration. Judge dismissed the case and was about to impose a $10 dismissal fee. I said "Your honor, the reason I couldn't smog the truck was because I was poor. Now you're going to assess a fee on a person for being right , but poor?"

He dismissed the fee as well.
Can you post the vehicle code ? I know this thread is 6 yrs old so it may of changed. I searched the ca vehicle codes & found nothing where it says it is Ok to drive with a incomplete registration.

Last edited by steel7; 10-10-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California