U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,383,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
High gas -> more people on public transit -> more money for public transit -> better public transit.

Unfortunately, those are going to be some pretty painful transitions for a lot of people.
But that only works where it's available and CA has a sketchy system when it comes to buses , trains and light rails. I fear the painful transition will be "shanks mare."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,672,984 times
Who wouldn't want to take a 2 hour bus ride that would take 20 minutes in a car?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,383,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Who wouldn't want to take a 2 hour bus ride that would take 20 minutes in a car?
Well, it makes for good nap or reading time. Wonder what the odds are of employers considering it work time as well, and paying you for it.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,672,984 times
About the same odd as yours truly dropping acid.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,925,424 times
I'm not surprised.... For the short term, we seem to selectively remember the fluctuations in gas prices can make us feel optimistic about prices going down. But in reality, over the long term of the past 50 years, the fluctuations have been inching higher and higher. We're seeing a sharp increase of gas prices due to oil supply depleting quickly because of the world population increasing at an exponential rate.

The only thing we can do is work on alternative energy, while trying to practice conservation. But do we really do it?

Brace yourselves for a $5 gallon in the next few years.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,174,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
High gas -> more people on public transit -> more money for public transit -> better public transit.
Transit operates at a loss, so more people on transit means greater expenses for the transit agencies which will probably result in reductions in service, not increased service.

The transit agencies will also be paying higher fuel bills which means higher fares.

Quote:
Unfortunately, those are going to be some pretty painful transitions for a lot of people.
Especially for people like me who live in areas with little or no bus service.

What's the solution? How about some form of ride sharing. Both drivers and passengers should go through background checks to weed out the sickos and there should be some kind of online service to coordinate rides and standardize fees.

Ride sharing, as it exists today, is for people who are commuting to work five times a week with the same fixed schedule. I want something more flexible. Say I want to go to the beach or to Disneyland, I should be able to connect with someone else in my neighborhood who is doing the same and help with the fuel costs.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,328,208 times
I already saw it at $4.05 for regular unleaded in San Diego. ugh

Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,174,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I already saw it at $4.05 for regular unleaded in San Diego. ugh
Watch for $5.00 or even $6.00 by Summer if there aren't any improvements in the Middle East.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The only thing we can do is work on alternative energy, while trying to practice conservation. But do we really do it?
We could do it, but only if the population didn't keep increasing. With population continuing to increase I see no possible way to do it with alternative energy and conservation, or at least not for decades.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 AM

757 posts, read 1,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Too concisely and briefly said.

That and public trans often has dregs on it- hoodlums, people who don't bathe, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
That reminds me of how many Priuses (sp??) I see here- a lot, and ironically, in the better parts of the valley. In the working class parts of the valley, I see more trucks and SUV"s. No irony there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Transit operates at a loss, so more people on transit means greater expenses for the transit agencies which will probably result in reductions in service, not increased service.
This seems counterintuitive to me, esp where I live as the lower ridership has been a cause of reduction in service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
What's the solution? How about some form of ride sharing. Both drivers and passengers should go through background checks to weed out the sickos and there should be some kind of online service to coordinate rides and standardize fees.

Ride sharing, as it exists today, is for people who are commuting to work five times a week with the same fixed schedule. I want something more flexible. Say I want to go to the beach or to Disneyland, I should be able to connect with someone else in my neighborhood who is doing the same and help with the fuel costs.
I like paragraph 1. I don't want to be stuck in a car full of the same loud & hostile lowlifes who I loathe.

I just wonder if there could be any service in which it would be possible to coordinate what kind of people you rideshare with at a lower cost without there being the predictable allegations of discrimination, even though we all discriminate against each other every day.

Alas, for the working class and middle class person who just wants quiet, cleanliness and safety, there's no way to buy one's isolation from the lowlifes .

Paragraph 2 is interesting but doesn't something of the kind already exist?

If not, I wonder how these ideas could be put into practice. Hmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California