U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,314,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
And...that reduces potential US jobs in making the trains and other equipment.

If we build this unnecessary junk (and yes, I think hi-speed rail is unnecessary junk), then at least we should create the jobs to manufacture and build the system.
The Trains would be made here , along with the tracks , signals , wires , and everything else......you underestimate the US..... The only Japan will bring is the knowledge , of building HSR in an Earthquake zone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Trains would be made here , along with the tracks , signals , wires , and everything else......you underestimate the US..... The only Japan will bring is the knowledge , of building HSR in an Earthquake zone...
So, why not hire Japanese engineers for their knowledge on our dime. I feel taking a loan from the Japanese government will only serve more of their best interests.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM

277 posts, read 300,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
And...that reduces potential US jobs in making the trains and other equipment.

If we build this unnecessary junk (and yes, I think hi-speed rail is unnecessary junk), then at least we should create the jobs to manufacture and build the system.
Why is it "unnecessary junk"? If everybody thought like you we'd still be in horse and carriage.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
So, why not hire Japanese engineers for their knowledge on our dime. I feel taking a loan from the Japanese government will only serve more of their best interests.
Nah , this isn't China were talking about its Japan.....

Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM

16,422 posts, read 22,270,715 times
My first reaction when I read this was "what's in it for them?" Why is Japan helping build these railroads around the world?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My first reaction when I read this was "what's in it for them?" Why is Japan helping build these railroads around the world?
Because they are on the way to being broke. They've slipped from being one of the top economies in the world by China.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
They've built on just about every square of there country and made it profitable. MTR owns several Transit agencies other then Hong Kong....they make then profitable.... I don't see the issue here , if this were a project in the NE ppl wouldn't be objecting too it....

Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
They've built on just about every square of there country and made it profitable. MTR owns several Transit agencies other then Hong Kong....they make then profitable.... I don't see the issue here , if this were a project in the NE ppl wouldn't be objecting too it....
The thing is, we're broke. I don't want to see our country be indebted to another foreign government. Remember the North Korea and South Korea fiasco? We tried to apply pressure on China to do something about their North Korean allies, but they didn't budge. Why should they, since our economy relies heavily on China's economy and our debt has been bought out by China. All China did was laugh, laugh, and laugh at us.

If our country was prosperous and self sustainable today, then maybe it would make sense to hire Japanese companies to share their technology with us. But since we're deep in debt, it doesn't make sense to pay more debt to get out of debt. Where's the reinvestment in all that?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM

144 posts, read 549,710 times
Quote:
Are you mixing MTR corp now privatized but until 2000 was owned by the Hong Kong government up with Japan? Hong Kong's subway design and trains were from British companies since they were still a colony at that time.

MTR was successful because they were given elusively to develop land (commercial/residential) projects around new towns in HK in which the subway lines would be extended to. MTRC has always made much more money being a developer than from the building the subway lines.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,607,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The thing is, we're broke. I don't want to see our country be indebted to another foreign government. Remember the North Korea and South Korea fiasco? We tried to apply pressure on China to do something about their North Korean allies, but they didn't budge. Why should they, since our economy relies heavily on China's economy and our debt has been bought out by China. All China did was laugh, laugh, and laugh at us.

If our country was prosperous and self sustainable today, then maybe it would make sense to hire Japanese companies to share their technology with us. But since we're deep in debt, it doesn't make sense to pay more debt to get out of debt. Where's the reinvestment in all that?
We already are, who-owns-the-us: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or