U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM

148 posts, read 500,649 times

Advertisements

I hope so Don. You sounded quite hateful in your above speech. Claiming that me and my fellow struggling Americans aren't working hard and are just looking for handouts. I hope that wasn't what you were talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 PM

148 posts, read 500,649 times
Young people are just retards right Don? No people my age could actually be able to think like a smart man as yourself right?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,938,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen7276 View Post
Young people are just retards right Don? No people my age could actually be able to think like a smart man as yourself right?
Oh, are you young? Go figure

Old 03-04-2011, 07:32 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,501 times
Quote:
I hope so Don. You sounded quite hateful in your above speech. Claiming that me and my fellow struggling Americans aren't working hard and are just looking for handouts. I hope that wasn't what you were talking about.
Evergreen, I actually sympathize with you about the changing business landscape. Here's a cut and paste of my post from another forum:

Quote:
I am all for the American dream for anyone who aspires to have wealth through hard work. But today, having the free and fair opportunity to do so is a different story altogether. That American dream landscape has changed drastically from the early 80's when my parents were honest working immigrants who saved and saved money until they could own their first small business outright. Three small businesses later and 15 years later, we are still in the game and still working hard to bear the fruits of our labor.

Firsthand, we've seen the dynamics of how big government and big businesses alike have made it extremely difficult for the average middle class American to thrive in the private sector as small business owners. Do you guys think all businesses, particularly the big ones that can influence the business landscape in the private sector, play by the rules?

Gimme a break.
The thing is, both the government and the big businesses have forgotten about the middle class. I don't trust either of them because they are too big and don't always serve the interests of the middle class. When the government can be a big influential vehicle occupied by politicians, whether they be Democrats or Republicans -- they are always at the extreme ends of both political spectrum. Big businesses will lobby for certain laws and regulations to benefit themselves, while wiping out the rest of the competition (small businesses). The big government passes laws meant to regulate and tax big businesses, but they don't take into account of the small business owners in the private sector. That's why I voted for Meg Whitman because she was pro business. But now I'm seeing that Brown is doing a good job so far with the budget.

I'm not a liberal. I'm not a conservative either. My views are moderate and my vote on political issues depends on whether they will help promote the greater collective responsibility for the society as whole.

So my first question was, why do you feel the minimum wage should be raised to $12.00? And we all saw everyone add their input on the negative effects of mandating a huge raise of $4.00 when our economy is in recovery mode.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM

17,878 posts, read 17,721,406 times
My family and I are stuck in a small crap town in Alaska working virtually 7 days a week in our business...if you want to live somewhere really nice without an outstanding background or connection, you're going to have to understand...you probably won't become rich...and you shouldn't punish those who are because the majority had to make major sacrifices at some point in their lives, sacrifices most people wouldn't do, so they deserve it...like I said the MAJORITY...there are always some who didn't do squat such as trust fund babies etc.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 PM

16,422 posts, read 22,270,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yeah, like cops and forum moderators.
LMAO!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
Quote:
How about a minimum wage depending on the company's annual earnings, so that it won't hurt small businesses? Like companies that make over a certain amount will have to pay more and companies making less will have a lower minimum wage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suVB3YGIUk0

Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
How can the minimum wage in this state be only $8.00/hr? How can people survive on that amount of money? It's ridiculous when you factor in the rent prices, gas, and insane taxes we have. The minimum wage should be adjusted to the cost of living. Washington, Vermont, Oregon, Nevada, Illinois, and Connecticut all have higher minimum wages than California. What a joke.
min wage is normally something teens work for as well as people seeking second jobs, etc. It is also paid for the post meanial (spelling) type of jobs. It isn't meant to be something one lives on. I don't care if one started working in the 50s, 90s or now. We all worked for min wage and most of us educated ourselves and moved up in the world.

If you are a kid with little of no skills, working for $8.00 an hour is what you will have to be happy with. Take your $12 an hour theory to the small business owner in Ca that is trying to keep his company open. See how far you get.

NIta

Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,390,025 times
No, just bring the rent down to human levels, like the $600. range like the other 90% of the country.
And CA wonders why they have 12 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment

Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,374,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
No, just bring the rent down to human levels, like the $600. range like the other 90% of the country.
And CA wonders why they have 12 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment
Yeah! That's the ticket. I'm sure the landlord who has a $1,200 or more a month mortgage would be happy to do that for you.

Where do you people come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or