U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 AM

9 posts, read 31,080 times

Advertisements

I don't have to worry about high school just yet My sons are only in elementary school (Thank goodness....I'm so not ready)

I'm interested in Nipomo, but keep getting the feeling from reading through these threads that other people aren't wild about it.

Thank you for responding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,632,239 times
Nothing wrong with Nipomo aside from the water issues.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

10 posts, read 27,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid0382 View Post
I'm interested in Nipomo, but keep getting the feeling from reading through these threads that other people aren't wild about it.
Nipomo is nice actually. Only been there a couple times. I'm not sure if it has any bad areas or not, but if it does I've never seen them.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM

It has rural areas, the rural homes may be a single wide with junk cars, or it may be an 8,000 sq ft home, and they may be next door to each other. If you want a little land, for garden or pigs or llamas or horses, it works well.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,863,234 times
Nipomo is nice. The gang issues there aren't as bad as some people make it. Sure Oceano and Nipomo are known to have the poorest areas in SLO County, but the police have it under control and its such population to bother everyone.

The high school is very good for the arts too.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 57,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nothing wrong with Nipomo aside from the water issues.

what are those issues ?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM

There isn't enough groundwater to meet the community needs, another instance of "first we build, then we look for the water"

And, many of the wells do not have particularly good water, and that goes back for years.

Our History

Quote:
Residents need to decide the real future of Nipomo

Water district officials in Nipomo should have paid more attention to the film “Chinatown,” a 1974 Oscar winner, the defining premise of which is that water is power.

“Chinatown” is fiction. The fix the Nipomo Community Services District board finds itself in is not.

The board is attempting to figure out how to meet the community’s water demands in the coming years. Plan A has been to build a pipeline from the city of Santa Maria, which has agreed to sell a portion of its state water allotment so that Nipomo can better meet the needs of growth.

But Plan A will likely have to give way to Plan B, C or even further down the list, because the cost of building the pipeline has quadrupled — from an estimated $6 million to $24 million — since the board began considering such a project.

The real, final costs won’t be known until an analysis is completed in a few months, but if the normal laws of economics apply, the pipeline project will only get more expensive. Assuming that to be the case, NCSD board members had better start working on other options — if the overriding philosophy is that the community should continue to grow. More about that in a moment.

Looking at other options is clearly a wise idea; however, it is too early to throw in the towel completely on the water pipeline. As the editors point out, we won’t know final costs for a bit longer.

The best other option mentioned so far is construction of a desalination plant, turning ocean water into potable water. But the problem is that the desal option is expensive, too. And desal plants across the nation are encountering all kinds of operational problems that push up the cost even more.

I actually think this is the best option available. Yes, desal plants are expensive; but, they are also a reliable source of unlimited water for our community. The pacific ocean isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Furthermore, Cambria, our coastal neighbors to the north are looking into the same option. We can learn a great deal from their efforts.

Another option is that the district could take a stab at tapping into the State Water Project, a notion that was widely rejected here two decades ago. That also would be the least expensive alternative.

But it’s not a viable option. For one thing, surrounding communities that participate in the state water hookup would have to agree. Santa Maria officials have already indicated they’re not interested in such a deal, in large part because of the money the city has invested in its state water connection and because of the loss of business in selling its water to Nipomo.

State Water might be a short term fix if feasible; but, I honestly don’t know the requirements for tapping into state water at this stage. If, as the editorial suggests, that surrounding communities must give their assent–then it looks like state water will be an unlikely option for the reasons cited.

This is quite a mess, one made worse by the myopia of past district officials and Nipomo residents who decided years ago they wanted no part of state water. Time and circumstances have certainly changed that outlook.

The disputes surrounding state water those many years ago were focused on cost and using water as a growth facilitator. It is now clear that inflation has made those original state water costs a bargain.

Using water as a weapon against growth, continues to this day. There are voices in this community which continue to claim Nipomo is running out of water. There are voices claiming that no further growth can occur without new water sources. While I agree that supplemental water is necessary–it is neccesary for our long term future water security, not because we need more water in order to sustain the current growth. That is simply false. Using water to control growth did not work in the past, and it will not work now.

But what of the growth issue? Nipomo is showing signs of wanting independence from county rule through incorporation. The community wants to determine its own future — and those are decisions that need to be made on a broader scale than at the NCSD board level. Perhaps the district should consider a communitywide referendum on enhancing the water supply and how that facilitates growth.

This goes beyond the board just seeking more input from citizens. These are issues that need to be voted upon by the folks who will have to live with the outcome.

While water is a very important issue facing our community, I believe incorporation is by far more critical to Nipomo’s future than is the current water debate. Though, I do not mean to suggest the water debate should be set aside or postponed. We can and should address both issues. But, the indisputable fact remains that water and growth issues will be issues in Nipomo’s forseeable future whether we are a city or not. The difference is that as a city, Nipomo will have more and better refined tools to address the issues of water and growth. Cityhood isn’t necessarily about water or growth. Rather, it is about a better way to address both of those issues.

The editors are right that growth issues should be decided on a community wide basis. Once incorporation moves forward and a petition made to LAFCO, then residents community wide will have an opportunity to vote on cityhood as well as the ability to have a say in their future growth. But, the NCSD can and should play an important local role in the incorporation movement. They are the only viable source of revenue to finance the high costs required to move forward with incorporation. (I will post more on this shortly). They are also the most equitable body to lead the community to its eventual destiny.

For now, the board has made a good decision to put the pipeline project on hold. Now the real discussions about the future need to begin.
Is The NCSD Misleading The Public About Nipomo Water? Nipomo News

Old 04-08-2011, 11:32 AM

28 posts, read 57,044 times
thank you for the reply I am interested in moving to the area so I am doing my homework

Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,406 times
Probably want to look in Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach or Oceano for the most affordable housing-Arroyo Grande being the nicest area and so on. Morro Bay & San Luis Obispo are far more expensive and Los Osos is always windy. Avila Beach is nice but also on the pricey side. Nipomo is also affordable and the drive to the prison would be 40 mins. 25 mins from A.G., Grover or Oceano as they are all clustered together. Pismo Beach has higher end housing and then they have dumps and not much in between. Los Osos on the north side of Los Osos Valley road or S.L.O. are the closest to the prison. Once you find a listing you like-copy the address and then go to Google Earth and past it and check it out there as well as the surrounding area as you can drive around on Google Earth. Good Luck!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM

269 posts, read 582,153 times
How is the overall job situation there? Anyone concerned about radiation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or