U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidmom View Post
... When we asked a renting agent about help with avoiding bad neighborhood, she said per CA law, they are not allowed to comment on neighborhood? Is this correct? ...
@Androidmom - This is not a "CA law," but rather a Federal law. Realtors who comply with local, state and federal laws, regardless of how silly, are a good thing. Here is a link “Family Friendly” Fair housing questions Realtors cannot answer | RealCentralVA.com) from 2007 that might help explain the Fair Housing Act of 1968. Surprisingly, a Realtor cannot legally tell you if there are registered sex offenders next door. Its best to research important topics as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Don't know about any law like that. She may have been misinterpreting something. ... The people who handled my house when I rented it were very competent ...
@eureka1 - compliance is never an indication of incompetence. Hoping that someone would "off the record" jeopardize their license and livelihood seem a bit unreasonable. Unfortunately too many folks incorrectly assume Realtors willingly withhold information for the sake of a sale when in fact it would cost them more than a single commission.

Cheers!

Last edited by ss3-20837; 06-12-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Don't know about any law like that. She may have been misinterpreting something. PM me if you're still looking for a rental agent. The people who handled my house when I rented it were very competent and they usually have listings.
actually it is a law, it has to do with discrimination. When I sold and leased property in Ca we had to be very careful. There were ways of getting around it, but agents do have to be careful.

Nita

Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,653 times
In general, Humboldt County sucks on almost all counts, and I have lived here since 1986. The schools are fair, jobs are few and far between, the economy has gone from o.k. to bad since the logging industry vanished, and the number of homeless people keep going up and up. The main population is centered in Eureka, with Arcata, McKinleyville and Fortuna being within a fair distance. Politically, the area is ultra liberal and there is a strong no growth sentiment to business and development. As such, the area has languished. Highway 101 is the main artery traversing through the county, linking all of the major towns together. However, 101 is not considered a main route of commerce like Highway 5, and this explains why growth is stagnant. In addition, there is no rail line connecting the county to anywhere, and the only airport that handles passenger planes way higher because of our remoteness. There are always jobs in the medical field, but if you have a serious health condition, the county may be of little use to you.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 AM

8,143 posts, read 11,044,310 times
Default Zombie Thread

This thread is four years old.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 PM

8,944 posts, read 8,047,583 times
Here is what is considered to be the best guide to schools. You will find school quality varies by neighborhood. Some are very top notch, and some are not so good. A good guide of where to live.

Eureka Schools, 1-25 - Eureka, CA | GreatSchools

Humboldt county is part of the Emerald Triangle, which covers 3 counties with Humboldt as the center. 38% or so of the entire income and economy of Humboldt county is from growing illegal Pot.

Humboldt was a big timber area with high wage jobs in the industry. Big city people decided that they did not like the looks of clear cutting land for timber. They do not take into consideration that Trees are like corn. There is a period where it grows, and a time to cut it, and then replant the land for the next crop. They killed the timber industry which left Humboldt county with a big problem of how to make a living along with the other two counties of the Emerald Triangle. So they turned to Marijuana where is is a Billion Dollar a year industry. The majority is grown in the forests, but quite a lot is grown in Grow Houses. They put in electric lights and irrigation inside homes, and grow pot. No one lives in the homes.

Arcata is the big pot growing town, where a large percentage of homes are used as Grow Houses, where they grow marijuana not live in them. I would not recommend Arcata as a place to live. It is such a big thing, that the city has a high premium for grow houses to pay for electricity, which helps fund the local government.

Here is an article about how large a percentage of college students are involved in growing Marijuana. Prepared by the University there.

http://www2.humboldt.edu/hiimr/docs/...lege_Brief.pdf

I know Humbodt County very well, as my family on both sides was there from the 1800s. I was born there in 1931 as were both of my parents. I left Humboldt for better opportunities other places.

Eureka has a very high crime rate for a city of it's small size. Eureka has areas where you do not want to live. It is only beat out by low end towns/cities that are part of major population areas, with Ghetto Areas, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...me_rate#Cities

Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,653 times
. . . and Eureka is still here.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidmom View Post
So my husband just got transfer to a new job with Eureka Ca being the location, we are a young professional family of 3 soon to be family of 4. We need help about the area. We have read about all the horrible things that can go wrong with raising kids in Humboldt county, but we need info from family with young children.

Currently work as a CVICU RN in a large metro city, and our 5 year old son would be starting 1st grade coming August.

Questions
Where to rent for a year or so? (neighborhoods)
Best elementary school public or private?
Family activity for young kids, like youth basket ball, foot ball swimming etc art craft etc. beaches, walking or hiking trails, Farmers markets, or visiting farms? ( we are not big on malls or fancy living-love the outdoors).
How friendly are families with young children?

What advice or warning should we know about?

Any Any information about safe living and outdoor family fun living that can be shared would be appreciated.
Oh also are there any after school activity or programs for young children?
example YMCA like kind of family recreation center. We are not limited to renting in Eureka CA, we are open to other areas that offers what we are looking for.

thanks again
This thread is a little old. But I was hoping to get an update from Androidman about how life has been up in Humboldt County after 5 years. My husband grew up as teenager in McKinleyville. We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids (4/7). We currently live in the East Bay and boy is it crowded. Traffic is at an all time high and life here is has become very dog-eat-dog world, everyone fights for every bit of space and time. We are seriously looking to move up to Eureka to escape the insanity of Bay Area life and create a more meaningful life with our kids. We have visited several times in the last year and in January we even contacted a real estate agent to take a look at homes in the surrounding areas of Arcata, McKinleyville, Freshwater...etc. My husband is able to work remote. My kids attend a public Montessori school in the East Bay and we found Redwood Coast Montessori in Arcata where we hope they can continue with their Montessori method. We love the redwoods, coastlines, space, weather...accepting of the marijuana culture... What else am I missing? Would love to hear what life is like for you and your family...if you are still up there. I am sure it has changed a bit since my husband has lived up there.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,106,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelife View Post
This thread is a little old. But I was hoping to get an update from Androidman about how life has been up in Humboldt County after 5 years. My husband grew up as teenager in McKinleyville. We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids (4/7). We currently live in the East Bay and boy is it crowded. Traffic is at an all time high and life here is has become very dog-eat-dog world, everyone fights for every bit of space and time. We are seriously looking to move up to Eureka to escape the insanity of Bay Area life and create a more meaningful life with our kids. We have visited several times in the last year and in January we even contacted a real estate agent to take a look at homes in the surrounding areas of Arcata, McKinleyville, Freshwater...etc. My husband is able to work remote. My kids attend a public Montessori school in the East Bay and we found Redwood Coast Montessori in Arcata where we hope they can continue with their Montessori method. We love the redwoods, coastlines, space, weather...accepting of the marijuana culture... What else am I missing? Would love to hear what life is like for you and your family...if you are still up there. I am sure it has changed a bit since my husband has lived up there.

Thanks!
Well, it seems that the crime in Eureka has escalated, unfortunately. McKinleyville has grown, a lot. In 2000 it was not even 14,000 people, now it is at least 18,000 if not more. Our treatment plant got a grant to do a major upgrade and that opens it up for even more growth, it has already shouldered 28% of the growth in the county. At the rate it is growing, it could surpass Eureka's 28,000 people by as early as 2025. You did not say when your husband grew up here, the weather has become warmer and drier, in particular the summers, the last three summers have been warm enough to grow tomatoes here, even close to the coast. If you ask your husband he will say that does not happen, but it did. McKinleyville is also still unincorporated and cannot afford to incorporate now because of the cost.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,279 times
Thanks for the update. My husband grew up in McKinleyville from 1985-1989. He continued to visit the area up until the 90's to visit his parents. He confirmed that tomatoes did not grow up there and remembers it to be overcast and foggy most of the time. I feel as though the north coast is probably one of the few gorgeous areas in California left to live that is still affordable if you can find work to make a life up there. We sure do hope everything falls into place and we are able to move up there. I feel you all are so incredibly lucky to be living in such a beautiful area where life is a little slower and can be enjoyed. Have you seen any increase in tourism up there?

Old 02-28-2016, 12:52 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,106,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelife View Post
Thanks for the update. My husband grew up in McKinleyville from 1985-1989. He continued to visit the area up until the 90's to visit his parents. He confirmed that tomatoes did not grow up there and remembers it to be overcast and foggy most of the time. I feel as though the north coast is probably one of the few gorgeous areas in California left to live that is still affordable if you can find work to make a life up there. We sure do hope everything falls into place and we are able to move up there. I feel you all are so incredibly lucky to be living in such a beautiful area where life is a little slower and can be enjoyed. Have you seen any increase in tourism up there?
That dependable cool and foggy has not been around for at least 8 years now, our summers are hot, for the coast, with some days in the 80's, a lot in the 70's and less in the 60's then it used to be. We even get to the 90's once or twice every other year, hit 100º here on May 15th 2008. This has been our wettest winter in 10 years and it has us all nice and green, going to be a gorgeous spring this year with all of our rivers full and creeks running. Ask your husband if he knows where Rogers Market is on School road, I live on the corner near it and we got sidewalks on both sides of our street from 101 down to the market and from 101 up to Central avenue are sidewalks on both sides and eventually when they are done it will be two lanes of traffic, a turn lane and bicycle lanes with the powerlines underground. I think he was here when Kmart went in, but I think the town was around 7,000 when he lived here, its more than doubled and still not finished growing with a new home under construction daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California