Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,109 times

Advertisements

I envisioned California as the land of golden streets. So I also moved from Cape Cod (which is pretty nice) to California (which is supposed to be nicest). In many ways California is terrific. The people are friendlier. The new towns are laid out well. Palm trees are there. Cliffs at the coast. And all that other good stuff.

But, I moved back to Cape Cod in time due to realizing we have easier access to culture, the beaches, the cities, ... jobs ... and an organic landscape. Plus, the heat is more bearable. The Cape is the warmest area in the Northeast due to being surrounded by water - so the cold factor is short lived.

I would never say anything bad about California. It would work out better (for people like me) if I could become rooted there - with kids, friends, sense of community, good and stable work.

The one problem with Cape Cod is that the 1980s experiment to attract retirees has worked too well. Now they have power. They are everywhere. And there's not much chance to pass them on the antique roads when you are trying to get somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eithne25 View Post
So I'd love to hear from anyone who's relocated to CA, especially if you're from NY or New England. The only thing I like about this area is the coast, but I just have a hunch that I'd be happier on the west coast. I am kind of a hippie/free spirit and just don't jive with the elitist Cape Codder types I regularly encounter. I am annoyed by everything, from their attitudes to their accents.
As an East Coast transplant, I hear 'ya re: the differences in 'attitudes'. First moved from NY to California way back in the 70's after getting out of the Navy, then eventually moved back east to be closer to family. Which helped me to realize the big differences between east and west coast 'atitudes', and that along the way I had somehow come to relate more to living 'out West'.

Perhaps the difference has to do with the long tradition of independent-minded pioneers who set out west looking to start a new life. But it seems to me that west coast 'culture' is much more inclined to accept folks based on their own merits, rather than on what family they came from, what school they went to, etc., which is a more common culture in the East. Although as you consider relocating, and the great advice here about 'preparation', also keep in mind that California isn't the only state with more free-spirited 'Western' attitudes!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
Default A potential freelance Cape Cod article by you

I am a little perturbed at the least with segments of the Cape Cod community myself.

Based on the following link, would you be interested in a freelance article for pubic awareness with the potential to include corruption, unethical and unfair legal practices, conflicts of interest, cited business practices, corporate greed verses affordable housing needs, commercial development verses historic preservation, family ties and much more?

Please let me know.

www.Brewsterloosecannon.com

Old 11-15-2014, 08:36 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,048,011 times
Ah Provincetown, I surely miss it in the summer.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster Loose Cannon View Post
would you be interested in a freelance article for pubic awareness
Well, the net is awash in opportunities to appreciate such "awareness", but eyebrows may be raised when one suggests they only seek such out for the "articles".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California