Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM

45 posts, read 91,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
True. American people who aren't rich and can't speak Spanish or Chinese would be crazy to move to California in 2011. The only American people currently moving to California are members of the richest segment of society migrating to the upper crust elitist suburbs of the Bay Area and L.A. or the expensive exclusive neighborhoods in L.A. & SF. California is the entry point for Asians and Hispanics. Uber Liberal California also doesn't believe that these immigrants should have to learn English. Not even in New York City do they announce the stops on mass transit three times in three different languages like the Muni in San Francisco. If you are a regular joe looking for a job in CA and can't speak another language, you aren't going to get a job. Not to mention the minimum wage is only $8 an hour and it is insanely expensive to live in CA. CA has the highest cost of living compounded with one of the nation's coldest job markets and highest unemployment rates. This doesn't sound like the best place to live for an native-born American person who isn't rich enough not to work. Many places in California in San Francisco and Los Angeles do not even feel or look like America. A lot of places in L.A. mine as well be in Mexico and a lot of places in SF mine as well be in China. My mother's family was fresh off the boat and they still live in San Francisco. That's a huge surprise .
Yeah right, all Chinese people moving to CA are taking white collar jobs in Chinese language firms like Google and Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmod View Post
sjnative really hates immigrants..!!! yeah, all immigrants run fast food restaurants and serve their own ethnicity. There are no white collar immigrants since as you said none of them ever speak English. And of course Asians all speak in their native languages and have funny names. Have you ever been to UC Berkeley ? Sadly, you are an ignorant idiot.
Quote:
Yeah right, all Chinese people moving to CA are taking white collar jobs in Chinese language firms like Google and Apple.
You wildly misconstrue other people's posts and then "refute" them with something only vaguely related to what they said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Sadly, bigotry is tolerated in every ethnic and racial group except for Non-Hispanic whites. Any non-White ethnic and racial group can and do openly discriminate, particularly against anyone not like them. Look at most "minority owned business", they hardly wring their hands over how many "diverse" people not like them they can hire and promote.

Only liberal whites "celebrate diversity". Other groups could hardly care and would be fine with only having their own ethnic enclave. Sort of comical.
This post is blunt but on the mark. White people are held to the highest standard of tolerance by the same non-white people who openly rail against white people.

Quote:
There is no point in even refuting such largely ignorant comments. Go out an meet some people. You are the one in your own ethnic enclave.
I've met lots of Latinos and Asians. I've grown up with them, gone to school with them and worked with them. Many of them are perfectly tolerant people. The fact that you can't seem to come to terms with, though, is that many are blatantly racist.

If anyone needs some life experience and to see this issue from a different perspective, it's you. However, you're too busy going on tirades to actually think these things through.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM

277 posts, read 379,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
This post is blunt but on the mark. White people are held to the highest standard of tolerance by the same non-white people who openly rail against white people.
Why are you always playing the angry white male victim? In case you haven't noticed whites are still the majority and are still are in charge of the majority of major corporations in the U.S. What are you so sick and tired of exactly? What is this minority on white racism that you always claim to experience that is destroying your oppressed life? Oh yes, immigrants not serving you Pho. Have you ever considered most non whites have been treated like dirt by a racist white person at least once in their life for no apparent reason other than the fact they are not white?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Why are you always playing the angry white male victim? In case you haven't noticed whites are still the majority and are still are in charge of the majority of major corporations in the U.S. What are you so sick and tired of exactly? What is this minority on white racism that you always claim to experience that is destroying your oppressed life? Oh yes, immigrants not serving you Pho. Have you ever considered most non whites have been treated like dirt by a racist white person at least once in their life for no apparent reason other than the fact they are not white?
Another one of your posts in which you ask loaded questions which may or may not be loosely related to some of the statements made in your post.

Either that, or they're based on your "expertise" which you gained from- what was it?- taking a Sociology class and having unique life experiences?

If you want to play the psychobabble game, I think you're the one assuming victimhood because you feel that some white people have treated you "like dirt" though they were probably only reciprocating the treatment you gave them.

You have a deep-seated problem with all white people and you need to slowly come to terms with it.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry you're right. The over 32 million people living in California all work at Google and Apple . Thats just as preposterous as saying everyone that lives in NYC is a corrupt overpaid "worker" on Wall Street. I'm sure all of the out of work day laborers and broke unemployed Black and White folks from Stockton to Watts are getting paid six figure salaries by Steve Jobs. Everybody knows that Mark Zuckerberg employs hella people in West Oakland and Compton. Even if there were millions and millions of high-paid white collar highly technical jobs available in California, only a tiny sliver of CA's enormous unemployed population would be qualified and hired for those positions. California's unemployment rate is only the second worst in the nation .

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Last edited by goldenchild08; 03-30-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 PM

366 posts, read 452,273 times
This isn't a surprise. Seems like everywhere I look I see a 10 year old Mexican with 10 kids.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Fewer gabachos = fewer yobs for house cleaners and gardeners. Maybe the Asians will take up the slack.
Har.

I was thinking something along these lines.

As more European Americans leave CA, it will increasingly have to be Asians who generate the subsidized social services which Latinos depend on.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Har.

I was thinking something along these lines.

As more European Americans leave CA, it will increasingly have to be Asians who generate the subsidized social services which Latinos depend on.
Fortunately they are good at it.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,665 times
I do know Asians in CA has more money than Latinos. It looks like Asians buy up all the expensive house in my area.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:49 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I wonder where most of this growth is occurring.
Methinks it's the coastlines and also anywhere south or west of the major mountain ranges of the state.

At this point, the CA deserts remain the dumping ground for the misfits of all culture.
Too poor to remain in the bigger metro areas, too scared to venture any further east beyond Baker or Needles.
Actually, I have noticed a significant change in the population of Las Vegas each consecutive time I've been out there in the last couple of years. When I go, I stay off the Strip in Summerlin or Henderson or in Southern Highlands at the Grandview Suites. So, my observation is not just one being made by a tourist. Plus, I make an effort to ask longtime locals about any noted changes in the population in order to confirm what I'm seeing. In addition to that, I have a cousin who is a Metro police officer who lives in Boulder City (Vegas' own version of "Copland") who talks at great length as to what he has observed.

When the economy went bust in 2008, lots of investor-owned rentals became available all over the Las Vegas Valley and the availability of those rentals attracted a lot of people from California, but not the traditional older, established retiree that would take up residence in Sun City and live off his/her pension for the rest of their lives. More like the struggling "single" mom, grandma, her brood of six kids and whatever boyfriend decided to tag along, using their voucher to rent an investor-owned property in one of the better neighborhoods. For this single mom, her boyfriend(s) and her mother, Las Vegas was entirely too good to pass up: a Nevada wage with no income tax taken out, buffets, gambling, shows, cheaper cigarettes and alcohol, brand-new neighborhoods with shiny tract homes in an upscale part of town to brag about, 24-7 club scenes and besides, it would always beat the heck out of comparatively "boring" Palmdale, Lancaster, Victorville and Adelanto where she had toughed it out for four years already. The move out to Las Vegas was a matter of hours too, being that those desert towns in California are so close already. And anybody in those remote desert exurbs of Southern California can tell you of how they feel the consistent, unrelenting siren song of Las Vegas. The lure is unshakable for so many.

Boulder City was largely spared the latest California influx because of natural lack of housing there and because it lies geographically outside of the perimeter of the valley, but the character of many Las Vegas and Henderson neighborhoods have been significantly changed. HOAs don't hold much sway either, as many allow rentals with an extra fee tacked to the rental price, which is no big deal if Uncle Sam is footing the bill.

The population is changing rapidly over in Clark County, Nevada. The numbers won't bear out until the next U.S. Census in 2020, but I imagine they will be radically different than the 2010 Census.

Last edited by kttam186290; 09-09-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California