U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
4,884 posts, read 4,839,588 times
Reputation: 1861

Advertisements

Touche. Yes, I used a u instead of an o. A thousand pardons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
 
277 posts, read 121,017 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Young people do stupid things all the time. I know, because I was one of those young people doing stupid things.

You must not be young because I notice you didn't use the spelling geezer's for the plural. That's the newer hip way of making plurals, by adding an apostrophe-s. And here's the new hip math: (Q) What's the sum of 24 and 32? (A) How should I know? I don't have my calculator with me. Just a second, I'll tweet it.

Only morons call California Cali. Educated people know that Cali is a city in the South American nation of Colombia. Old people can even spell Colombia correctly.
Next time you hear a "moron" say "Cali" please go up to them and call them a moron and tell them to stop at once. What good does it do on an internet forum? None, please go speak your mind and let them know they are violating an ethical code. Make sure you also attack people who say "LA" instead of Los Angeles Philly" instead of Philadelphia, because by your logic all of them are morons, along with the faculty at CAL, I mean why call "CAL" that and not California Berkeley. CAL how ignorant of a bunch of Berkeley professors and students. However I'd be willing to bet you won't say anything to them, you'll just run to internet forums and call them names from the safety of your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 03:49 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 20,307,220 times
Reputation: 16131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Used to go to USF, you're right, it was sort of faddish a couple of years ago, but the Alphas have moved on and the Betas and Omegas are using lingo that has become a bit tired and desperate, hoping for a shadow of the cool of the Alphas
"Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm really awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly colour. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: State of Jefferson coast
965 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
LA" instead of Los Angeles Philly" instead of Philadelphia, because by your logic all of them are morons, along with the faculty at CAL, I mean why call "CAL" that and not California Berkeley.
You're missing the point. There are no other geographical locations with the names "L.A.," "Philly," or "CAL." Apopocating "California" to "Cali" has the same problems as calling "New York" simply "York" or "New Mexico" just "Mexico": the nickname you think you're creating is already taken. Any educated person who hears the word "Cali" automatically thinks of a major world city by that name in Colombia (that's in South America for the geographically illiterate). And that's perhaps what's so irritating about hearing that apopocation: those who use it are obviously so ignorant about world geography that they don't know that the name they're using officially refers to some other location with millions of inhabitants. They think they're coming up with something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
 
5,375 posts, read 7,079,295 times
Reputation: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Next time you hear a "moron" say "Cali" please go up to them and call them a moron and tell them to stop at once.
I regret having offended any morons, and offer my most sincerest apologies.

Do they still teach geography in K-12 school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Here&There
1,958 posts, read 2,083,883 times
Reputation: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
You're missing the point. There are no other geographical locations with the names "L.A.," "Philly," or "CAL." Apopocating "California" to "Cali" has the same problems as calling "New York" simply "York" or "New Mexico" just "Mexico": the nickname you think you're creating is already taken.
No it doesn't, as New York and New Mexico contain two words.

So let's see what you have to say about these,

London (disambiguation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_(disambiguation)

I guess in your world, every word is allocated to objects and places with perfect clarity with no ambiguity whatsoever.

Quote:
Any educated person who hears the word "Cali" automatically thinks of a major world city by that name in Colombia (that's in South America for the geographically illiterate).
Fallacy, argument from authority. Apparently if we follow what you say, logic doesn't apply to these 'any educated person' or does it?

Quote:
And that's perhaps what's so irritating about hearing that apopocation: those who use it are obviously so ignorant about world geography that they don't know that the name they're using officially refers to some other location with millions of inhabitants. They think they're coming up with something new.
Well if you want to get technical, the official name of Cali, Colombia is
Santiago de Cali. Santiago de Cali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apparently it was shortened by the indigenous people (so goes the theory) and according to you, a rather ignorant and irritating bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 20,307,220 times
Reputation: 16131
To summarize, callow youth call it Cali, crusty, crotchety codgers don't.

Next debate, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,527 posts, read 5,128,772 times
Reputation: 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Next time you hear a "moron" say "Cali" please go up to them and call them a moron and tell them to stop at once. What good does it do on an internet forum? None, please go speak your mind and let them know they are violating an ethical code. Make sure you also attack people who say "LA" instead of Los Angeles Philly" instead of Philadelphia, because by your logic all of them are morons, along with the faculty at CAL, I mean why call "CAL" that and not California Berkeley. CAL how ignorant of a bunch of Berkeley professors and students. However I'd be willing to bet you won't say anything to them, you'll just run to internet forums and call them names from the safety of your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
 
185 posts, read 194,546 times
Reputation: 421
No one at Sage Hill I know (go lightning!), or who I sail with, both young or old, call it Cali.

Like I said, some youth call it Cali, some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: AK, CA, FL, WA, AUS
6,527 posts, read 5,128,772 times
Reputation: 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
You're missing the point. There are no other geographical locations with the names "L.A.," "Philly," or "CAL." Apopocating "California" to "Cali" has the same problems as calling "New York" simply "York" or "New Mexico" just "Mexico": the nickname you think you're creating is already taken. Any educated person who hears the word "Cali" automatically thinks of a major world city by that name in Colombia (that's in South America for the geographically illiterate). And that's perhaps what's so irritating about hearing that apopocation: those who use it are obviously so ignorant about world geography that they don't know that the name they're using officially refers to some other location with millions of inhabitants. They think they're coming up with something new.
lol most people don't think of Colombia when someone says Cali. I personally don't like the name Cali, but I see no problem with people using it. It's a f___ing nickname for christ's sake...do you people also get offended when someone says Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays? You know how many cities have the same names? Your argument is as long as the nickname isn't the name of a real place in the world, it's fine to say NYC, LA, Beantown, Philly etc?

Does it really make a big difference!?
Is it really worth calling people idiots and morons!?

An idiot is a person who asks me...do people in Alaska really live in igloos? do people in Australia have kangaroos for pets? does Hawaii accept US Dollars? Those can be an indication for one's lack of intelligence, but giving a place a nickname no matter how stupid it sounds, does not portray someone's intelligence.

What does this have to do with the OP's question anyways lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top