U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM

474 posts, read 493,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
No one at Sage Hill I know (go lightning!), or who I sail with, both young or old, call it Cali.

Like I said, some youth call it Cali, some.
Well, kids that attend Sage Hill usually don't often hang around people using the word Cali as slang.

The banality that passes for "hip" with proletarian youth would probably be scoffed and snickered at by your average Sage Hill student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM

965 posts, read 2,613,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol most people don't think of Colombia when someone says Cali.
I think that depends on the state of one's education. Anyone who hears the name "Cali" without at least considering that it's the name of a major South American city is either seriously deficient in basic rudiments of geography or someone who lives in a myopic shell of local awareness only.

For those who understand Spanish, the fact that Cali's full name is "Santiago de Cali" or Ventura's full name is "San Buenaventura," or Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles" is no mystery. In Spanish it is common for both people and places to have extended formal names in addition to practical short ones. But they are not apopocations, they are full and complete in themselves and used within the realm of everyday nomenclature.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM

17,879 posts, read 17,726,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I think that depends on the state of one's education. Anyone who hears the name "Cali" without at least considering that it's the name of a major South American city is either seriously deficient in basic rudiments of geography or someone who lives in a myopic shell of local awareness only.

For those who understand Spanish, the fact that Cali's full name is "Santiago de Cali" or Ventura's full name is "San Buenaventura," or Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles" is no mystery. In Spanish it is common for both people and places to have extended formal names in addition to practical short ones. But they are not apopocations, they are full and complete in themselves and used within the realm of everyday nomenclature.
...what does this have to do with anything the OP is asking? I don't even understand your point lol or I understand it, I just can't imagine someone actually being so uptight or egotistical and how it relates to helping the OP.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM

965 posts, read 2,613,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
...what does this have to do with anything the OP is asking? I don't even understand your point lol or I understand it, I just can't imagine someone actually being so uptight or egotistical and how it relates to helping the OP.
lol

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

8,140 posts, read 11,041,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
Are people in Philadelphia who say "Philly" illiterate?
Not necessarily.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 PM

30,513 posts, read 33,335,622 times
Every 21 year old want to move to CA and live by the beach. I have no idea why.

With and AA you won't have much luck landing a good job, sorry. Maybe if you move out with some friends you can hang around for awhile before going back home.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM

38 posts, read 91,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
To summarize, callow youth call it Cali, crusty, crotchety codgers don't.

Next debate, please.
LOLLY hehe

Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,607,845 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. There are no other geographical locations with the names "L.A.," "Philly," or "CAL." Apopocating "California" to "Cali" has the same problems as calling "New York" simply "York" or "New Mexico" just "Mexico": the nickname you think you're creating is already taken. Any educated person who hears the word "Cali" automatically thinks of a major world city by that name in Colombia (that's in South America for the geographically illiterate). And that's perhaps what's so irritating about hearing that apopocation: those who use it are obviously so ignorant about world geography that they don't know that the name they're using officially refers to some other location with millions of inhabitants. They think they're coming up with something new.
Quote:

Your former statement doesn't really agree with your latter statement. So it's not okay to shorten New York to York but it's okay to shorten El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles? By the way, that isn't the official name for the city of Los Angeles (it was only prior to the establishment of the U.S.), although Santiago de Cali is the official name. You also stated that shortening the name of New York to York is along the same lines as shortening California to Cali; so it's okay to shorten Spanish names, is what I'm feeling you're going to argue. But, but, but California is derived from Spanish too -- is that okay with you?

But let's take another point of yours that this is basic geography. Do you know where Battambang is without doing a search? I highly doubt it. And no it's not so obscure, Battambang has as much significance to world history as much if not more than Santiago de Cali.

Next.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM

76 posts, read 184,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
I wish to find an apartment to share with some college kids, where i could bike most places! I also defiantly desire beauty such as hiking trails, nice parks, amazing landscapes and CLOSE TO THE BEACH Nice nitelife a plus as well
That would be Ocean Beach in San Diego.

Quote:
An area with descent jobs is also on my list. I have quite a bit of money saved and so on so im not to worried about finding a job as soon as i get there.
Maybe not quite San Diego, LA is a better job market, but good luck getting near the beach. If you try, you're looking at someplace like Manhattan or Hermosa Beach.

Quote:
I will be completing my associates degree in liberal arts (dont hate)
(I am also looking into park ranger internships/careers)
Here's the crux of it, look into what school you want to go to. I'm guessing places like San Diego and LA are not big on Park Ranger stuff because you have to travel so far to find those jobs. You're looking at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or possibly someplace in the bay area. But then again, I'm not sure about Park Ranger jobs, but jobs on the whole, are certainly not plentiful. It's a tough job market up there (SLO) unless you want to wait tables, then you're competing with every student at Cal Poly.

Yes, there are beaches, but not like it sounds like you're envisioning. East coasters seem to always think of Southern California when envisioning it, maybe media does that to you, but California is pretty diverse in it's feel. Northern and Central California (no, I don't call it 'Cali') might as well be a different state than Southern California. Not only the landscape and lifestyles are different, so are the people. You might look into Santa Cruz.

Quote:
ive read countless threads about the type of areas, and san diego sounds like a nice place and expensive. However for some reason, San Luis Obispo calls my name. Seems like a nice place to start off.
San Diego is expensive. If SLO 'calls' to you, follow your instincts. Go, check it out, see how you feel. I liked it when I was 23. Not so much now, but my priorities have changed. Just remember to always follow your instincts. You may not get everything you want, but everything you want is not always what is going to make you happy. Follow your instincts.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM

71,697 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
hey guys, I'm currently in good ol upstate ny (where we have the four seasons within a week!bleh!)

Im looking to move out to cali early summer. I would like to get input of which area would best fit me (ive never been out west)

I wish to find an apartment to share with some college kids, where i could bike most places! I also defiantly desire beauty such as hiking trails, nice parks, amazing landscapes and CLOSE TO THE BEACH Nice nitelife a plus as well

An area with descent jobs is also on my list. I have quite a bit of money saved and so on so im not to worried about finding a job as soon as i get there. I will be completing my associates degree in liberal arts (dont hate)
(I am also looking into park ranger internships/careers)

ive read countless threads about the type of areas, and san diego sounds like a nice place and expensive. However for some reason, San Luis Obispo calls my name. Seems like a nice place to start off.

appreciate it guys
San Louis Obispo would probably work for you, but if you think you will get a job even in the first 3 or 4 months, you may want to think again. I don't know how much you do have saved and I haven't read the responses to your question, but I would suggest you plan on taking a couple of weeks vacation and visit the state, look into rentals, jobs, etc and make sure this is what you want and that you can make it work. A lot of people, who get tired of the long winters think CA is the perfect place, but they don't consider the downside. It might be wonderful for you or it might spell disaster. Having an AA means almost nothing. What type of work are you expecting to get and what salary do you think you will need to live comfortably in Ca?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California