Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM

51 posts, read 81,179 times

Advertisements

heyall im lookin to bounce to cali from ny this early summer and would like to get a grip on the cost of living.

i understand gas prices are the highest (bout a dime more than ny) and the income tax sucks (hey ny too)

I will be renting so i dont need to know about property taxes.

this is a great thread to let it off your chest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:42 AM

12,460 posts, read 19,992,436 times
The costs of living in California are in no sense uniform, just like NYC is dramatically more than upstate NY. You'll have to say where you're thinking about moving.

Also, the income taxes in California are highly progressive. If you make a "normal" income you won't pay too much, if you have a low income you'll pay almost nothing.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatenykid View Post
heyall im lookin to bounce to cali

this is a great thread to let it off your chest
Ok then, I will. Cali is in Colombia. Were you planning to bounce to South America?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The costs of living in California are in no sense uniform, just like NYC is dramatically more than upstate NY. You'll have to say where you're thinking about moving.

Also, the income taxes in California are highly progressive. If you make a "normal" income you won't pay too much, if you have a low income you'll pay almost nothing.
Right, thats what i was wondering like which areas are less expensive than others. I was thinkin San Luis Obispo? I dont really look to live in LA or any big city.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
The biggest complaints about cost of living come from people with kids who want to live in a safe area with good schools near major job centers. If you're young and don't mind slums, small apartments, or roommates, cost of living isn't as much of a factor.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM

767 posts, read 1,735,771 times
Why do you want to live in SLO, of all places? SLO is such an obscure, unheard-of town (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_weekend/20101125/ts_yblog_weekend/welcome-to-the-happiest-place-in-america - broken link) that I'm surprised it crossed your mind.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Why do you want to live in SLO, of all places? SLO is such an obscure, unheard-of town (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_weekend/20101125/ts_yblog_weekend/welcome-to-the-happiest-place-in-america - broken link) that I'm surprised it crossed your mind.
And it has all the same cost of living issues as SF/LA but without the high paying jobs. Great place if you're a wealthy retiree or a senior professor at Cal Poly though.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The biggest complaints about cost of living come from people with kids who want to live in a safe area with good schools near major job centers. If you're young and don't mind slums, small apartments, or roommates, cost of living isn't as much of a factor.
that makes sense, im wondering how much is costs for a drivers license, registration and so on. Im curious if its cheaper getting a motorcycle license and registration rather than car?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
that makes sense, im wondering how much is costs for a drivers license, registration and so on. Im curious if its cheaper getting a motorcycle license and registration rather than car?
I haven't had to renew my license in years but I don't think its that much. Maybe $30 every 5 years? Car registration is based on the original price and age of the car and is renewed every year. I just paid $400. I assume a motorcycle is taxed similarly but would be less expensive due to the lower value.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,992,436 times
Quote:
Right, thats what i was wondering like which areas are less expensive than others. I was thinkin San Luis Obispo? I dont really look to live in LA or any big city.
San Luis Obispo is pretty expensive, the city doesn't allow much growth which inflates property costs. Surrounding cities are much more reasonable.

But getting a job in this area could be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California