Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Seismoligists predict California and most of the west coast is going to experience the same type of quake and tsunami disaster in the near future, 100 time larger than the one in Japan this week. Somewhere around a 9.5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
maybe you want to tell this guys family its all been blown out of proportion....

Calif. Man Dies Photographing Tsunami (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/news/calif-man-dies-photographing-tsunami-dpgonc-20110311-gc_12279914 - broken link)

Having been in Sri Lanka in the 2004 tsunami and watched my hotel crumble around me it can't be blown out of proportion enough if it stops senseless deaths like this one IMO

See link for location of tragedy. klamath river, ca - Google Maps Scroll to see coastal drive, that's where they must have left their car.

I am pretty sure this is where the 3 guys were located. The mouth of the Klamath River at the Pacific Ocean. It is a long walk to higher ground if you were on that section of beach, no way could you get up the hill into the woods.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:30 PM

They recovered the body of the 25yr old man killed by the Tsunami.

Getting into to Crescent City is difficult because of many road closures due to the Tsunami, especially concerning the guys death.

People are concerned for the fisherman who went out to sea before they knew of Tsunami.

The Crescent City, CA harbor was destroyed according to a Sacramento New reporter who just arrived; it took his crew all day to get there due to road closures. Crescent City is a good 5hour drive from Sacramento without closures.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I actually think it's pretty retarded that people are blowing this so far out of proportion. They already said that it reached Hawaii a couple of hours ago and did absolutely nothing. The waves were just a bit higher than normal. Considering that a wave loses momentum as it travels, common sense would say that it will barely be a trickle by the time it reaches the west coast.
first of all, belittling people's fears is a waste of time. its generally what people who are trying to deny reality like to do to convince themselves that there is no need to worry. and perhaps there isn't. but....

no one can be blamed when lives are at stake in erring on the side of caution. if i had children there is no way i would take the slightest risk. calling them "retarded" is highly offensive, and betrays your own ignorance. please learn to NOT use that term. we aren't in the twentieth century anymore. it isn't political correctness, its just normal human decency.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Seismoligists predict California and most of the west coast is going to experience the same type of quake and tsunami disaster in the near future, 100 time larger than the one in Japan this week. Somewhere around a 9.5.
can you share some links with us to substantiate this? i haven't found anything about this.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Quote:
Each higher Richter magnitude measurement scale (e.g. 5.0 compared to 4.0) represents a 'shaking amplitude' that is 10 times larger, not 100 times larger. For example, an earthquake that measures say 9.0 on the Richter magnitude scale has a horizontal 'shaking amplitude' 10 times larger than one that measures 8.0.

The 'energy' release of an earthquake, which closely correlates to its destructive power, scales with the 3⁄2 power of the 'shaking amplitude'. Thus, a difference in Richter magnitude of 1.0 is equivalent to a factor of 31.6 in the 'energy' released; a difference in Richter magnitude of 2.0 is equivalent to a factor of 1,000 in the 'energy' released.

It's downright scary to think that say a 9.0 Richter earthquake has 100 times (10 x 10) the horizontal 'shaking amplitude' and 1,000 times the 'energy' compared to a 7.0 Richter earthquake. That is a huge difference! In fact each 1/10 or .1 on the Richter scale is very significant.

PS - It was just recently reported that; "The Japan earthquake was the fourth most powerful ever recorded with a magnitude of 9.1, twice more powerful than the initial estimate of 8.9, Gerard Fryer, geophysicist of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said this morning." (The difference between 9.1 and 8.9 magnitude is .2, or twice (not one time, but twice) more powerful from a [Richter] shaking amplitude perspective.)

Last edited by highcotton; 03-11-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM

California Office of Emergency Services in Sacramento report that
a NEW 7 foot wave(tidal surge) struck Crescent City in the last hour (5-6pm PST).

Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
They were actually saying (on local news) that it wouldn't be likely, and fwiw they've been bracing us for "the next big one" since 1906. I was here for the Loma Prieta earthquake, which was definitely scary, but I'm not about to live in fear over it.

I'm in San Francisco, about 1.5 miles from the beach, and we didn't experience anything major... just swelled waves, and some harbor damage down in Santa Cruz. It was kind of an eerie feeling, though, when I saw that Tsunami Warning come up on my television!

Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Increased quake activity predicted for California faults | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

This is just one of hundreds of sites you can google on the subject. This one pertains primarily to So Cal but there are many other sites covering any area you are interested in.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Increased quake activity predicted for California faults | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

This is just one of hundreds of sites you can google on the subject. This one pertains primarily to So Cal but there are many other sites covering any area you are interested in.
That's not quite predicting a massive quake bigger than Japan just had based on anything. In fact this link is 8 months old. This talk....it's same ol' same ol' for the 53 years I've been alive and living in CA.

Could it happen? Sure. And not just in CA. Will it happen? I nobody knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California