U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,338 times

Advertisements

Our family moved from L.A. (Smell A) in 2003 to the central coast. Arroyo Grande and SLO county is God's country compared to Southern California.
The small town feel, friendly smiling faces in the grocery stores, post office, etc. Even in the parking lots where nobody is in a hurry, you will find smiling drivers hand gesture to "go ahead", "no you go first", "no after you". This goes on for almost a minute and no "Honking horns"!

Call if you need more information about the wineries, recommended veterinarian's if you have pets, the best golf courses or about any city in San Luis Obispo County. I suggest DH play a few courses before making your decision of what city to move to. There is a lot to consider when you transition. You and DH will LOVE living the SLO life!

805-550-3170
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,338 times
Default Can't wait to relocate to the SLO area - San Luis Obispo Country Club, Trilogy at Monarch Dunes, Cypress Ridge

Our family moved from L.A. (Smell A) in 2003 to the central coast. Arroyo Grande and SLO county is God's country compared to Southern California.
The small town feel, friendly smiling faces in the grocery stores, post office, etc. Even in the parking lots where nobody is in a hurry, you will find smiling drivers hand gesture to "go ahead", "no you go first", "no after you". This goes on for almost a minute and no "Honking horns"!

Call if you need more information about the wineries, recommended veterinarian's if you have pets, the best golf courses or about any city in San Luis Obispo County. I suggest DH play a few courses before making your decision of what city to move to. There is a lot to consider when you transition. You and DH will LOVE living the SLO life!

805-550-3170

Old 03-21-2011, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,284 times
Hi slobaby - thanks so much for this info -- I will definitely call you about the wineries, golf courses and also good places to live - I really appreciate it!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 10,022 times
Welcome! You will love it here! In my opinion, there is really no debate between Cypress Ridge and SLO. We moved to Cypress Ridge because it's beautiful, but promptly wanted to leave. The drive out to the Mesa sucks, you are far from dining, shopping, etc.
We now live in SLO, and belong to the country club. The houses in that area are nice, but a bit dated. I would recommend looking a few blocks away from the club, either in Edna Valley or over by Davenport Creek Road.
One area you didn't mention, but that I highly recommend is San Luis Bay Estates. Lovely homes, fantastic club with beautiful pools, gym, tennis (Avila Bay Athletic Club), awesome market (sundries, wine, and delicious meals). My husband and I lived there for four years and just loved it. We will definitely return when we retire. It's paradise-we called it the enchanted valley. There is also a private road down to the golf course overlooking the ocean.
We moved to downtown SLO last year because we are young professionals and thought it would be fun to be able fo walk to dinner, work, etc. We love it, but going out to the club is a nice oasis. However, the pool at Avila Bay Club is far superior to the one at SLOCC. The course and people at SLOCC are both fantastic.
I've thrown a lot out there, so just let me know if you have any questions! I wrote this from my phone, so I apologize for any typos!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 10,022 times
Oh--forgot to mention--San Luis Bay Estates is located in Avila Beach. About a 8 minute drive from San Luis. It's in a beautiful valley, however, not the beach. The beach is a 5 minute drive, or a 30ish minute walk on the lovely Bob Jones trail (which cuts to the same road that drops you down onto the golf course).

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 12,284 times
Thank you MissSanLuis - appreciate all the info you provided! We are headed down to SLO soon to really check it all out - looking forward to it.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM

230 posts, read 538,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
A lot of neighborhood have CC&Rs and people don't even know it, because they often aren't given copies of them by the title company. When I worked as a Realtor, I once sold a home in Woodland to a young couple. We were aghast when the title company sent them the CC&Rs from decades ago, and read that they couldn't re-sell to a "Negro." My point being, they are ignored all the time. They seem to be enforced more often when there's also a HOA, because there's usually some busybody with too much time on their hands who polices the neighborhood for lack of anything better to do.
There are very few HOAs in San Luis Obispo County. Unlike the Puget Sound area, which seems to have the world record on HOAs and CC&Rs. I'm sure there are some newer developments in SLO County with HOAs, but it's easy to find a home without them, even in the nicest areas.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM

230 posts, read 538,579 times
Hey Retiring2SLO! Congrats on your decision!

I lived in SLO County for 17 years before having to relocate to the Pacific Northwest a few years ago -- Can't wait to get back to SLO, though.

Given your criteria, I would go the way of SLO Country Club. There are so many cool homes built earlier, and has a more private feel than Cypress. Cypress just doesn't feel like your'e part of the SLO life. It's physically quite beautiful, and it'd be easy to fall in love with many of the beautiful homes, but you'd probably enjoy SLO more. Wow.. especially all of the gorgeous roads on the backside of SLO.. off 227 through the wine areas. And you'd be 5 minutes or so to town and shopping.

It does get warmer there than Cypress Ridge, but it doesn't feel as bad because your'e not dealing with the smog that you get in Silicon Valley.

Templeton is a huge favorite of mine. Unless you're unable to handle heat, you might want to consider it. Any home in your price range would have central a/c for the hot days of summer. Templeton has more of a independent feeling. The downtown park is amazing, and has the best farmer's market on Saturday mornings. You'd be a straight shot to the beach on the 46, probably 30 miles on a nice road. There is a Trader Joes there now, and some decent retail a few miles away just as you get into Paso Robles.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have if you'd like to private message me. I know the area very well, and know the lifestyles of the various towns (worked in the real estate industry when I lived there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring2SLO View Post
Brand new to this forum and so glad I found it. DH and I are hoping to move to the SLO area within the next year or so. He is planning to retire early from his job here in Silicon Valley and concentrate full time on riding his motorcycles, playing a little golf and wine tasting (the last activity includes me!) I also like the beach and would love to be within 15 - 20 minutes of one.

We are planning to meet with a realtor in the next few months but wanted to get people's take on Cypress Ridge in Arroyo Grande versus the SLO Country Club - mainly as we do not want to live too far from shopping and amenities. I hear Cypress Ridge is a little farther from things than the SLO club and would like to hear opinions on this.

Also understand both SLO and Arroyo Grande are great places to live. (We don't necessarily have to live in a gated golf community but will consider it.) Will be interesting to check out both towns. Templeton is also a possibility but we've heard that the weather is not as temperate there - i.e. can be very hot in the summer and colder in the winter.

Anyway, look foward to any replies and thanks in advance. We are ready for a new adventure in life and everything about the central coast really appeals to us.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 PM

5,341 posts, read 1,999,332 times
I've been interested in this area for some time. What's the quality of life like on around 80 - 85k per year? I'm in one of the rehab professions, and that will be my base salary most places in CA, to start (except for the bay area, where it would be higher). Getting a job is no problem almost anywhere that I go. Living on the salary is another matter.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,349,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I've been interested in this area for some time. What's the quality of life like on around 80 - 85k per year? I'm in one of the rehab professions, and that will be my base salary most places in CA, to start (except for the bay area, where it would be higher). Getting a job is no problem almost anywhere that I go. Living on the salary is another matter.
You'd do just fine on 80K a year in SLO. Not exactly painting the town red every night, but, if you live fairly frugally, should be able to save some money.
What is your job title that you can get a job anywhere these days? That is one heck of a rarity nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or