U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 AM

32,260 posts, read 54,969,343 times

Advertisements

Of course most of us back tax extensions. Its the wise thing to do.

Quote:
The survey found that, by a 58 percent to 39 percent margin, voters said they would vote in favor of a ballot measure asking them to extend temporary tax increases.

Field Poll Director Mark DiCamillo said voters have become accustomed to the taxation levels of recent years and want a say in the fate of the state budget.

The survey found 61 percent of voters prefer calling a special election to settle the state's budget issues, compared with 36 percent who would leave it to lawmakers.

Survey finds Californians back tax extensions | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 AM

13,781 posts, read 23,755,254 times
Yeah, but regardless of our support or not, they should be allowed to come to a vote. Blocking the vote itself seems really shortsighted.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,022,848 times
I love agenda driven make-news stories. "Of course most of us....?" Speak for yourself.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,501 times
Same survey, with more details on the data by Sacbee.com:

Quote:
In general, the Field/UC poll found that voters support – albeit not by a particularly wide margin – Brown's plan to both cut spending and extend the temporary taxes, but they would oppose anything labeled as new and additional taxes.

That's why Brown is increasingly desperate to get his plan through the Legislature – as written it would require at least four Republican votes – and onto a special election ballot in June. He and other supporters want to call them tax extensions and not the tax increases they would become after June 30.

Thus the Field/UC poll simultaneously bolsters Brown's case and indicates that he has a narrow margin of public support.

And while liberals may cheer voter approval of tax extensions, conservatives can take heart from the voters' strong dislike of relying primarily on revenue to close the budget gap.

The poll implies that were Brown's plan to make the June ballot – no better than a 50-50 bet at this moment – its success or failure would hinge largely on how it's defined to voters in what would likely be a low-turnout election.
Read more: Dan Walters: Field Poll shows California's wide divide - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,880,636 times
In general, the Field/UC poll found that voters support – albeit not by a particularly wide margin – Brown's plan to both cut spending and extend the temporary taxes, but they would oppose anything labeled as new and additional taxes.

That's why Brown is increasingly desperate to get his plan through the Legislature – as written it would require at least four Republican votes – and onto a special election ballot in June. He and other supporters want to call them tax extensions and not the tax increases they would become after June 30.

^ Just goes to show how dumb voters are and why they shouldn't be allowed to vote on the issue. 'Additional taxes' vs 'tax extensions' .. and the mass of idiots would vote differently....

Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

^ Just goes to show how dumb voters are and why they shouldn't be allowed to vote on the issue. 'Additional taxes' vs 'tax extensions' .. and the mass of idiots would vote differently....

All I know is that I've had enough of paying taxes. Just weeks after Brown took office, I was impressed with his actions in trimming the budget and I was all ready to vote for increasing/extending the taxes. But his approach, if any, in addressing the public worker salary and pensions made me withdraw my support.

I'd rather we hurt big time right and get over with it now, than to keep kicking the can down the road.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
I never trust "temporary" taxes. I haven't bought tires in 8 years, so is there still a federal excise tax on them? If I recall correctly, that was a temporary tax imposed during WW2.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I love agenda driven make-news stories. "Of course most of us....?" Speak for yourself.
Er, that was my comment....the news story itself is quoted.

And OF COURSE MOST of us support it. You are in the minority on this issue.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I never trust "temporary" taxes. I haven't bought tires in 8 years, so is there still a federal excise tax on them? If I recall correctly, that was a temporary tax imposed during WW2.
That is definitely something to consider.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM

2,926 posts, read 5,293,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Of course most of us back tax extensions. Its the wise thing to do.
Of course we do, thats why the Republicans oppose putting it on the ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or