Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How does being against same sex marriage make someone anti gay?
Well, marriage is a legal contract or construct. With marriage there are a lot of rights that come with it, such as survivorship, parental custody, being able to have health care benefits.

Denying rights of marriage to same sex couples who are just as committed to each other as heterosexual couples is denying equal protection under the law, which is discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 PM

277 posts, read 379,757 times
Quote:
Sure it is a choice. What you are talking about is temptation not who you are. Do alcoholics choose to drink or are they born that way? Do drug addicts choose to take drugs or are they born that way? Are obese people born with a fat gene or do they give in to over eating? Everyone has temptations that they have to deal with. I for one love women. If I knew it wasn't wrong I would persue them every chance that I had, married or not. The fact is even with women that are married I find plenty that I would love to be with. The differance being that I realize that is not a correct action and I restrain my self from doing anything that would hurt my marriage. Everyone is tempted to do things. Some people overcome things that they are temped by. Others choose to give in to the temptation. Acting upon any temptation is a sign of weakness. It is part of being human. Your not special because you call yourself gay. Your not special if you give into the temptation. What you are is human. All of us have some kind of temptation in our life.
LOL you have no idea what you're talking about. I have seen hundreds of people who are suicidal based on their sexual orientation and the stress that goes along with it. If you think these people chose to live in a constant state of paranoia and ridicule all because they choose to love the same sex, you need help yourself. If you think all alcoholics are that way by choice shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, marriage is a legal contract or construct. With marriage there are a lot of rights that come with it, such as survivorship, parental custody, being able to have health care benefits.

Denying rights of marriage to same sex couples who are just as committed to each other as heterosexual couples is denying equal protection under the law, which is discrimination.
Almost all the rights of marriage come with CA Domestic Parters and there are bills pending before the CA legislature to shorten this list.

While domestic partners receive most of the benefits of marriage, several differences remain. These differences include, in part:

Couples seeking domestic partnership must have a common residence; this is not a requirement for marriage license applicants.

Couples seeking domestic partnership must be 18 or older; minors can be married before the age of 18 with the consent of their parents.

California permits married couples the option of confidential marriage; there is no equivalent institution for domestic partnerships. In confidential marriages, no witnesses are required and the marriage license is not a matter of public record.

Married partners of state employees are eligible for the CalPERS long-term care insurance plan; domestic partners are not.[2][6][7] In April 2010, a lawsuit was filed challenging the exclusion of same-sex couples from the program.

California's unemployment insurance program allows someone about to be married to move to another city in order to marry that person and to begin to collect unemployment insurance immediately, this benefit is not provided to those just about to enter into a domestic partnership.

In 2010 a bill was introduced in the California Assembly which, if passed, will eliminate this discrepancy. (Note that domestic partnership, unlike marriage, requires co-residency, as described earlier.)

Domestic partnership in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
LOL you have no idea what you're talking about. I have seen hundreds of people who are suicidal based on their sexual orientation and the stress that goes along with it. If you think these people chose to live in a constant state of paranoia and ridicule all because they choose to love the same sex, you need help yourself. If you think all alcoholics are that way by choice shows you have no idea what you're talking about.
Everything is a choice. Alcoholics choose to drink. I have yet to see an alcoholic that was strapped down and forced to drink. Many are so tempted by it that they need help overcoming the addiction. If you want to call it a disease then fine we will call it a disease. Plenty of people have fought it and overcame it though. The same can be said of drug abuse, many have overcome that addiction as well. Those that have an addiction to same sex attraction also are facing a temptation that is an addiction. Many people have an addiction to sex with the opposite sex. Charlie Sheen is a good example of someone living an addictive lifestyle. You have people that are addicted to sex with children.

What I am saying is that everyone has some kind of weakness that they need to face. Just because others are doing it doesn't mean that it is anything more than an addiction that the individual is tempted by. That temptation can be so strong that it drives the person toward a lifestyle that is nothing more than addictive behavior. The truth is that it is something that can be resolved. People are helped all the time that have addictive behaviors, including same sex attraction.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Everything is a choice

Really, you chose to prefer women over men? At what age did you choose that?

There is no reputable doctor in America that would say your sexual preference is a behavior, addictive or otherwise.

Here is a problem for you. You are posting stuff that just ain't true. You also state that you are a member of a particular religious group.

The net effect of your post is that us folks out here figure your particular religious affiliation has no problem with stating known falsehoods to achieve its goals.

Talk about situational ethics!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Court denies interim gay marriages

A federal appeals court on Wednesday denied a motion to lift the interim ban on gay marriages, requested by gay marriage advocates as the Proposition 8 challenge winds its way through the court system.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Everything is a choice. Alcoholics choose to drink. I have yet to see an alcoholic that was strapped down and forced to drink. Many are so tempted by it that they need help overcoming the addiction. If you want to call it a disease then fine we will call it a disease. Plenty of people have fought it and overcame it though. The same can be said of drug abuse, many have overcome that addiction as well. Those that have an addiction to same sex attraction also are facing a temptation that is an addiction. Many people have an addiction to sex with the opposite sex. Charlie Sheen is a good example of someone living an addictive lifestyle. You have people that are addicted to sex with children.

What I am saying is that everyone has some kind of weakness that they need to face. Just because others are doing it doesn't mean that it is anything more than an addiction that the individual is tempted by. That temptation can be so strong that it drives the person toward a lifestyle that is nothing more than addictive behavior. The truth is that it is something that can be resolved. People are helped all the time that have addictive behaviors, including same sex attraction.
You know until you posted this, I thought that I would one day tell my children of a time when people thought like this. That we have come a long way since these days. Had no idea they still made them like you.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times
Quote:

Yes, everything is a choice. I chose to have my hair come out brown, my eyes hazel, my skin tone light. I chose to have a thing for brunettes, a love for chocolate, a passion for cars, and an allergic reaction to shrimp but not other shell fish. All these things add up to a collective set of traits that make me who I am. Some of them were built in to my DNA and some were things I learned along the way. I could have forced myself to marry a blond instead of a brunette, but why deny myself happiness? Some people find that they're not happy in their marriage, get divorced, and marry others. They do what makes them happy - and they continue to be accepted in society regardless of certain religions not finding divorce acceptable.

Whether you believe being gay is built-in or learned, you still obviously believe that it's something that can be undone or ignored, which the church keeps trying to drill into its member's heads. You talk about it being a temptation that people should avoid, as if it's a fattening food or alcohol, or worse, adultery. And you suggest they simply choose not to act upon being gay because of what "your" religion states is right and wrong. In the eyes of many, two consenting adults have the right to do as they please and be accepted in society just like the rest of us, even if they're "different". They're not hurting us, or the institution of marriage, any more than the couple who cheats on each other and breaks their vows. And they have the right to not be bound by our religious views so long as they're not hurting anyone. And regardless of who is right, they are still protected by the same Constitution as everyone else and deserve equal treatment.

Liberty for ALL, not just the ones who share our beliefs and are like us. All. If we can't have that, what's the point of having "freedom of religion" in the Constitution at all? You can be against gay marriage all you want, but that doesn't mean gay people shouldn't be protected from you and your religious views under our Constitution. There was a time when people didn't think interracial marriage was "natural" or "right". It wasn't recognized in our society or by our legal system. Lucky for me those days are gone (as I'm sad to say I gave into my evil temptation of being attracted to a different race). I'm sure one day gay marriage will end up being a similar issue as interracial marriage.

Eventually, we'll stop finding ways to keep us separated and accept each other for who we are, and get along despite our differences. Though we are human, and fighting seems to be part of our make-up. Every time a wall comes down, a new one goes up for something else.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM

277 posts, read 379,757 times
Quote:

So sad that in 2011 people still have 19th century thinking.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuko View Post
So sad that in 2011 people still have 19th century thinking.
I guess another way to look at it is being able to choose is empowering and not being able to choose makes one a victim.

Having been around people that have died because of their lifestyles... I guess there is some comfort in thinking that this was their fate and there was nothing they could have done to avoid it as opposed to a dear friend that drank himself to death and another that OD because they were not able to choose another path in life.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-24-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California