Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 19,654 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, after 20 years on the island of maui i am finally ready to make a move for a variety of reasons: the cost of living would make it difficult to retire here; it is very transient here making it hard to keep/make friends; and nepotism is rampant with the local population. i am considering the city of oceanside, california and nearby surrounding communities: vista, bonsall, fallbrook, temecula, etc.. i have visited the region in the past and it seemed like a nice place to start a new life. although i don't know anything about the local culture and how it would be for a gay person to live there. would like to hear from other gay men and women who currently live there or have in the recent past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:29 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
If you want a gay-friendly area in San Diego, Hillcrest would be the place.
Oceanside is a pretty big town while Fallbrook and Bonsall have more of a village feel.
If you want to live in North County, you should consider Carlsbad. Actually, any of the towns along the coast south of O'side are very nice. O'side itself; not so much.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
What Snort said. Check out Hillcrest.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
If you still want the ocean, and you want beauty ... you want San Clemente or Dana Point - not Oceanside. IMO, Oceanside is ugly and run down and caters to a questionable class of people.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
If you are worried about the cost of living with your retirement CA is the wrong state. I would look into Panama, Washington, Oregon maybe even Arkansas or Tennesee.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Default High Cost of Living

Actually, every list i have seen for states with the highest cost of living have either hawaii or alaska as number one. at least in calif. you can move to the dessert. here on maui you are pretty much stuck. the people that do the best here are the locals who were born and raised on the island and transplants from the west coast who arrive with suitcases full of money. unless you have a very high paying job here you're not going to make it in the long run. that's the main reason why it is so transient here. it's common knowledge in the islands that quite a few people who are living on social security resort to growing and selling "medical" marijuana just to make ends meet. the thing that concerns me the most about the oceanside region is the high unemployment rate. i have a friend who lives in temecula and according to him it is the highest in the state. 15%.
thank you for taking the time to reply BTW, what is the procedure for deleting your own posts? 2 of my posts don't give me the option to edit. no edit icon at the bottom...so i can't delete.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Hell Centro (aka El Centro) has worse unemployment numbers. It's high most places these days in CA.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Default Hell-centro

would never consider living there anyway.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:30 PM

You passed the sanity test, welcome to CA!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Default Palos Verdes, CA

lived in palos verdes near Wayfarers Chapel for 8 years in the 70/80's. so i am kinda acclimated to the nicer regions of the state. unfortunately i don't have deep pockets...that's probably why some end up in places with nasty winters like montana, idaho, the dakotas, nebraska etc..where you can rent a modest house with acres for $600 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California