Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 AM

185 posts, read 252,878 times

Advertisements

VickyVicky, Thank You very much!!!! Just got off the phone and they are not section 8. And they already have a violation for the poor condition of the front yard(dirt area). Going to call lancap for the drug dealing though. We shouldnt have to live like this, lancaster is a great place and i hope everyone will help out and call.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 PM

60 posts, read 305,827 times
In reply to aslowdodge

aslowdodge - On the one hand you make a point of saying not to group all the section 8 tenants into one classification, yet you are doing that to the landlords.

My response: If the shoe fits ..... The "good" landlords do not have a problem throwing out any Section 8 scumbag who breaks the rental rules (as well as the law in most cases). The "bad" landlords, however, only stick around long enough to pick up the rent checks before skedaddling back down the mountain to the hills of Beverly. Or wherever.

aslowdodge - Like sec 8 tenants, there are good landlords and bad landlords,
California definitely favors tenant rights over landlords so by shifting all the responsibilities to the landlords, you put many in a losing proposition. If a landlord want to clean up his rentals, he will have a hard time getting some tenants out since so many laws are set up to make sure tenants are treated fairly-to a point of abuse sometimes.

My response: Nonsense, nonsense, NONSENSE!! You wouldn't be one of those "bad" landlords by any chance would ya?? Just kidding. Seriously, it's really very simple. If you have a tenant who is not abiding by the rules, serve a 30 day notice for them to hit the road. That's all you do. You don't even have to give a reason for it. Just serve it. You know as well as I do that allowing problem tenants to fester will not solve a GD thing. If the bums don't move out by the 30 day deadline, file UD. If you want to serve the bums with a written complaint before serving a 30 day, go ahead. That will just give you more ammo in court before the judge, if things go that far which they usually do not. Even the bums know they're bums.

aslowdodge - If you think a tenant is dealing drugs, how do you prove it to throw them out? Unless the police come in to arrest them, it's your word against the tenants. The tenant could easily sue the landlord for the false accusations. It has to be the city and landlord working together.

My response: Your other tenants will TELL you when drugs are being dealt. You will know is very short order that you have a problem with drug dealing bums by the company they keep: hookers, other dealers, and users. If your tenants have already told you that you have a drug dealing tenant (or if you suspect it yourself without any other complaints) you have a LEGAL DUTY to make your property safe. Failing to do so could subject you to a lawsuit by your tenants or neighboring property owners/tenants. Like I said before, if you suspect you have a problem bum tenant dealing drugs, just serve a 30 day notice without reason. You don't need to make accusations of any kind. Just get the bum out. It's easy. If you have to pay for an eviction (upwards of $600) that's just part and parcel of being a landlord. There's no easy way out - you took on the responsibility of being a landlord when you purchased the property I would assume. There's no free lunch. Get a lawyer if you need one!!

aslowdodge - These is no doubt that some shoddy landlords aren't doing there part, but to punish all landlords is just as unfair as punishing all section 8 tenants.

My response: Landlords have a responsibility to keep their property safe and that's the bottom line. Where does punishment come into it, unless you are a slumlord yourself? If you are taking care of business, you have a building full of reasonable tenants with NO drug, overcrowding, prostitution, broken down vehicles or loud noise problems. Right? Where does punishment come in? You can be sure that if you're a slumlord living near me, your a$$ is the grass and I'm the lawnmower, baby.

aslowdodge - I rented to an elderly couple on section 8 and they were wonderfull people and tenants. I gave them a safe clean place to live and they paid the rent and cared for the house. But going to the sec 8 office I saw a lot of really undesirable people there. These people should have been thrown off the sec 8 program. But since I can't pick and choose my sec 8 tenants without the high risk of being accused of breaking anti discrimination laws, I chose to never rent to sec 8 tenants again. Too bad because I have really well kept and reasonable rentals.

My response: Drama, drama, drama. Screen your tenants. When you rent to someone, go over the rules and regs with them and make them SIGN AN AGREEMENT. Who says you have to rent to "undesireables"?? Do a proper job of screening, use your judgment. Some people are just not cut out to be landlords - others are. For them, the process is SIMPLE. And their properties are in order and in line. Otherwise the tenants know they'll be receiving a 30 day notice in short order. As a landlord, you are going to have bum tenants because it goes with the territory. As a landlord, you are then going to have to deal with them and sort out your property's problems. It's never a case of just collecting the rent checks - being a landlord is a BUSINESS. Treat it like one. And yes, I stand by my original credence. The LANDLORDS are responsible for every little thing that goes on within the boundaries of their properties. No excuses. Don't like it? Too bad. Absent Landlordism is one of the reasons why the Antelope Valley has become such a sh*thole.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 AM

82 posts, read 358,563 times
My family has owned apartments for over 30 yrs in the Antelope Valley, they were older units, they did not rent to Section 8 either. They did not live in the units but were present every day except sundays, occassional saturdays, walking the property, cleaning units ourselves, checking on laundry rooms, we mowed the lawns ourselves, worked on coolers on the roofs, you name it. They were lower priced apartments but my mother was an awesome screener, getting the credit reports, job history, verifying information, if someone had credit that was bad, she told them, if she may consider them they had a deposit and first and lasts mos rent to even be considered, etc etc etc....

They didnt have to do even a handfull of evictions in all the time they owned them, but yes there are those occassional ones who fight, refuse to leave and the courts do need to be involved. They won every case by the way, even one time a person was taken away in cuffs before things got underway by a baliff, come to find out he had a warrant already.

Really a good landlord will screen well, make their presence known or have management to keep an eye on things and have a way for other tenants to contact of problems.

That is the problem I see with the Section 8 Rentals is we have no way to contact the landlords to complain, also the landlords never seem to show up, to check on their property, you see them only between new tenants.

My family sold off the units during the real estate boom and made a very nice profit. But a slum lord bought them, and turned them in Section 8, and I feel so bad for the neighborhood as I drive by, police out all the time.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,537 times
Default Section 8 & Social Services Reform

We purchased a home near Avenue I to occupy and were in the process of renovating the entire home. Then came the realization that we made a fatal error by purchasing in this location. The neighbor is on Section 8 and another neighbor has so much traffic stopping in and out .. that we suspect something illegal is going on. We finished the renovations and then opted not to move in and rent out the home instead.

The tenant pool is just horrible. We are trying to hold out not to rent to Section "8" but I can tell you that 90% of the calls we received to view the property is from Section "8" recipients. I can see where the temptation to rent to Section "8" individuals lie because quite frankly you can rent the house easily and for far more than to a private party. Which brings me to my initial concern: There are hardworking families here that cannot afford to pay rent equal to the amount Section "8" reicipients receive, they work, they budget and they are having difficult time. Yet, they live in homes far substandard to what a Section "8" recipient lives in. There is a Section "8" recipient down the street, lives in a new home, drives a new car, and works for the City... isn't there something wrong with this picture? The neighbor has Section "8" and does not work at all. Is there not guidelines in place to ensure that Section "8" recipients must work??? Another family has at least 6 foster care kids and rumored to be a Section "8" recipient. The kids run the streets all hours of the day and night without supervision.

We had a previous tenant who received Social Services....believe me they demolished the home and stripped it when they left. There is no motiviation for them to work either...believe me, they had money to buy beer (as we cleaned up a ton of discarded beer cases and bottles). They sit home and watch television and party all day!

We need some reform in AV ... there is a definite imbalance here. Too much free money doled out by the City with little or no governing. How can this be? All that is happening now is that it is creating a City of Slum, increasing the Sherrif's staff, and slowly driving out the people who moved here initially to enjoy the peace and solitude of the environment that has long since disspeared?

Is there any talk of reform here in AV?

The house has now been completely renovated inside twice now. Any ideas on how to sell? We've had enough?

Thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default If it was this easy... we would all be Landlords

Many cities and counties have "Just Cause" eviction and no... it does not mean just cause the Landlord don't want you.

It means the local jurisdiction has implemented a very narrow set of acceptable reasons that a Landlord must meet in order to lawfully evict a tenant by giving a 30 day notice. It wasn't always like this... but this is the trend statewide and most if not all Housing Authorities also require Just Cause.

Illegal Drug Dealing is one on the accepted reasons for issuing a 30 day notice. The problem is that the Owner must be able to prove it. I have yet to meet a tenant willing to testify in court against another tenant regarding drug issues.

A property owner better be very careful about accusing someone of Illegal Drug use and not being able to prove it in court.

Many owners are scared of being countered sued, as recently happened in California, when an owner was not able to prove drug use and the court awarded damages against the owner for damaging the tenants reputation and good name.

I do not know a Landlord who would not evict a family if provided proof of Illegal Drug use from local law enforcement... the problem is Police will not do this because of liability issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_of_Palmdale View Post
In reply to aslowdodge

My response: Nonsense, nonsense, NONSENSE!! You wouldn't be one of those "bad" landlords by any chance would ya?? Just kidding. Seriously, it's really very simple. If you have a tenant who is not abiding by the rules, serve a 30 day notice for them to hit the road. That's all you do. You don't even have to give a reason for it. Just serve it. You know as well as I do that allowing problem tenants to fester will not solve a GD thing. If the bums don't move out by the 30 day deadline, file UD. If you want to serve the bums with a written complaint before serving a 30 day, go ahead. That will just give you more ammo in court before the judge, if things go that far which they usually do not. Even the bums know they're bums.

aslowdodge - If you think a tenant is dealing drugs, how do you prove it to throw them out? Unless the police come in to arrest them, it's your word against the tenants. The tenant could easily sue the landlord for the false accusations. It has to be the city and landlord working together.

My response: Your other tenants will TELL you when drugs are being dealt. You will know is very short order that you have a problem with drug dealing bums by the company they keep: hookers, other dealers, and users. If your tenants have already told you that you have a drug dealing tenant (or if you suspect it yourself without any other complaints) you have a LEGAL DUTY to make your property safe. Failing to do so could subject you to a lawsuit by your tenants or neighboring property owners/tenants. Like I said before, if you suspect you have a problem bum tenant dealing drugs, just serve a 30 day notice without reason. You don't need to make accusations of any kind. Just get the bum out. It's easy. If you have to pay for an eviction (upwards of $600) that's just part and parcel of being a landlord. There's no easy way out - you took on the responsibility of being a landlord when you purchased the property I would assume. There's no free lunch. Get a lawyer if you need one!!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
"aslowdodge - On the one hand you make a point of saying not to group all the section 8 tenants into one classification, yet you are doing that to the landlords. "

I was merely replying countering your post of making all the landlords pay. Reread you post and look at the tone of it . . you are making it sound like all the landlords are to blame so you are infering they are all bad. I said not all sec 8 tenants are bad, I specifically said not all landlords are bad and that you shouldn't infer that they are.

"My response: If the shoe fits ..... The "good" landlords do not have a problem throwing out any Section 8 scumbag who breaks the rental rules (as well as the law in most cases). The "bad" landlords, however, only stick around long enough to pick up the rent checks before skedaddling back down the mountain to the hills of Beverly. Or wherever."

It is well known that california protects renters more than landlords. I have talked to property managers out of state who specifically say that Caalifornia caters to renters and their home states do not. What makes you think that landlords are all extremely wealthy?

"aslowdodge - Like sec 8 tenants, there are good landlords and bad landlords,
California definitely favors tenant rights over landlords so by shifting all the responsibilities to the landlords, you put many in a losing proposition. If a landlord want to clean up his rentals, he will have a hard time getting some tenants out since so many laws are set up to make sure tenants are treated fairly-to a point of abuse sometimes

My response: Nonsense, nonsense, NONSENSE!! You wouldn't be one of those "bad" landlords by any chance would ya?? Just kidding. Seriously, it's really very simple. If you have a tenant who is not abiding by the rules, serve a 30 day notice for them to hit the road. That's all you do. You don't even have to give a reason for it. Just serve it. You know as well as I do that allowing problem tenants to fester will not solve a GD thing. If the bums don't move out by the 30 day deadline, file UD. If you want to serve the bums with a written complaint before serving a 30 day, go ahead. That will just give you more ammo in court before the judge, if things go that far which they usually do not. Even the bums know they're bums."

I have been a landlord for over 20 years. My rentals all have brand new appliances, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, water heaters, energy effecient doors and windows, cabinets, carpeting, tile bathrooms, new roofs, new fenciong. landscaping etc. My rents are also in the lower one third of the market spread. So I don't consider myself to be a slumlord at all. When a tenant calls wit a problem I respond within 4 hours.
Let me ask you this. . Are you a landlord? Do you have experience removing bad tenants? Or are you just talking from an ideal world situation? I have and let me tell you it is not always as cut and dry as you say. Nor is it SIMPLE! Tenant advocacy groups will give advice on how to delay or stop and eviction process or sue a landlord for discrimination. They can claim none of the other tenants were given a 30 day notice and that they were singled out-maybe even discrinated against. How do I know it's not simple as you say? Because I've had to evict some druggies. They used every trick in the book to stretch it out so it isn't that easy.
But if you did serve a 30 day notice what makes you so sure the tenants will leave? After the 30 days if the people haven't left you have to start an eviction process. That can cost $1000's in the end as well as take up to another 60 days if the tenant knows how to play the game.
A 30 day notice doesn't always work. A landlord tried to remove a tenant in San Francisco because she couldn't pay fair market rent. She was paying a couple of hundred dollars for years. market rent was closer to $2,000. He didn't have enough money to upkeep the property over the years. Yet the city came to the tenants aid and he is stuck with the low rents and not being able to fix the property. Now you can see one of the reasons why someone becomes a slumlord. The intent was there to maintain the property, but the funds are not due to rent controls etc. As the building falls into disprepair he will have to accept less desirable renters because the good rented won't live there. I understand this is a tough one. It looks bad to throw out an elderly lady on a fixed income, but how do you keep thr place nice for the renters with no money?

"aslowdodge - If you think a tenant is dealing drugs, how do you prove it to throw them out? Unless the police come in to arrest them, it's your word against the tenants. The tenant could easily sue the landlord for the false accusations. It has to be the city and landlord working together.

My response: Your other tenants will TELL you when drugs are being dealt. You will know is very short order that you have a problem with drug dealing bums by the company they keep: hookers, other dealers, and users. If your tenants have already told you that you have a drug dealing tenant (or if you suspect it yourself without any other complaints) you have a LEGAL DUTY to make your property safe. Failing to do so could subject you to a lawsuit by your tenants or neighboring property owners/tenants. Like I said before, if you suspect you have a problem bum tenant dealing drugs, just serve a 30 day notice without reason. You don't need to make accusations of any kind. Just get the bum out. It's easy. If you have to pay for an eviction (upwards of $600) that's just part and parcel of being a landlord. There's no easy way out - you took on the responsibility of being a landlord when you purchased the property I would assume. There's no free lunch. Get a lawyer if you need one!!"

If you rely on tenant telling you that someone is dealing drugs it could be regarded as heresay with no factual basis. If a tenant told me you yourself were dealing drugs and I served you a 30 day notice how would you like it? You aren't a drug dealer right? Heck you might pursue some sort of legal action against me. That's not unheard of. You're right. I did take on the resposibility of being a landlord. Part of that responsibility is to not do thing that wil only create more problems later and serving a 30 day notice with no reason has the potential to do so.

"aslowdodge - These is no doubt that some shoddy landlords aren't doing there part, but to punish all landlords is just as unfair as punishing all section 8 tenants.

My response: Landlords have a responsibility to keep their property safe and that's the bottom line. Where does punishment come into it, unless you are a slumlord yourself? If you are taking care of business, you have a building full of reasonable tenants with NO drug, overcrowding, prostitution, broken down vehicles or loud noise problems. Right? Where does punishment come in? You can be sure that if you're a slumlord living near me, your a$$ is the grass and I'm the lawnmower, baby."

Now this is the 2nd inference that I am a slumlord you made. You tried to hide the first one saying you were joking. You don't even know me, so why would you make these statements? Read what I said- not all landlords, but no doubt some. Where did I mention myself as being a slumlord? So if someone is a slumlord near you, what exactly would you do? Are you working for the city on enforcement for housing or something, or do you just like to issue threats? Seriously, you made a pretty bold statement., tell me what you would do.

"aslowdodge - I rented to an elderly couple on section 8 and they were wonderfull people and tenants. I gave them a safe clean place to live and they paid the rent and cared for the house. But going to the sec 8 office I saw a lot of really undesirable people there. These people should have been thrown off the sec 8 program. But since I can't pick and choose my sec 8 tenants without the high risk of being accused of breaking anti discrimination laws, I chose to never rent to sec 8 tenants again. Too bad because I have really well kept and reasonable rentals.

My response: Drama, drama, drama. Screen your tenants. When you rent to someone, go over the rules and regs with them and make them SIGN AN AGREEMENT. Who says you have to rent to "undesireables"?? Do a proper job of screening, use your judgment. Some people are just not cut out to be landlords - others are. For them, the process is SIMPLE. And their properties are in order and in line. Otherwise the tenants know they'll be receiving a 30 day notice in short order. As a landlord, you are going to have bum tenants because it goes with the territory. As a landlord, you are then going to have to deal with them and sort out your property's problems. It's never a case of just collecting the rent checks - being a landlord is a BUSINESS. Treat it like one. And yes, I stand by my original credence. The LANDLORDS are responsible for every little thing that goes on within the boundaries of their properties. No excuses. Don't like it? Too bad. Absent Landlordism is one of the reasons why the Antelope Valley has become such a sh*thole."

I guess if antelope valley is so bad, I can see where you have such a crappy attitude. I can't help but wonder if you have a vested interest of some sort in the area since you sound really angry about it. You said Absent Landlordism is one of the reasons why the Antelope Valley has become such a sh*thole. What are the other reasons?
You said "The LANDLORDS are responsible for every little thing that goes on within the boundaries of their properties. No excuses. Don't like it? Too bad."
Landlords are responsible within reason, not for absolutely everything that hapens. To do so would basically interfer with most tenants rights to privacy and quiet enjoyment of their property. To make snap decisions on removing tenants as you have suggested could lead to more legal problems. No tenant can be monitored 24/7 and be forced to act a particular way. If you don't like that concept -too bad for you . Move to another country or something. I am not going to be a Nazi landlord and will continue to be a ladlord who looks over the big picture, not the narrow solutions you have provided.

Your previous post was full of absolutes. All I did was counter and say not everything is as cut and dry as you say and that not all landlords were bad. It seems all it did was **** you off that I offered a different viewpoint. Twice you made inferences that I was a slumlord and that I don't know what I'm doing. I've run plenty of credit checks and reference checks, so I do do my homework. Fortunately I have great tenants now who are happy with their rentals.
I have always provided clean and safe rentals. I was brought up to be a fair person and treat people as I would want to be treated. Despite this I have been burned by tenants who even though I screened them wind up changing for worse some reason or other. Yes it's all part of the game as you say and I accept that. I've played the game for 20 years, what about you? Can you cite some examples of how your experience of rentals has given you such absolute knowledge of how all this works? Since you made it sound like I am a landlord who signed on not knowing what I was in for and that I don't know how to control bad tenants, maybe shed some light on the subject. Personally I wouldn't want you as my landlord. Sure I want to have a clean and safe place to live, but I would always wonder if you were going to take legal action to throw me out just because another tenant decided they didn't like me and told you I was a drug dealer. If you did and I wasn't a drug dealer I would be suing you.
Maybe I am just oversensitive to you posts to me if so please correct me if I am wrong. Otherwise I stand by my origianal posts, just as you did.

Last edited by aslowdodge; 09-03-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Many cities and counties have "Just Cause" eviction and no... it does not mean just cause the Landlord don't want you.

It means the local jurisdiction has implemented a very narrow set of acceptable reasons that a Landlord must meet in order to lawfully evict a tenant by giving a 30 day notice. It wasn't always like this... but this is the trend statewide and most if not all Housing Authorities also require Just Cause.

Illegal Drug Dealing is one on the accepted reasons for issuing a 30 day notice. The problem is that the Owner must be able to prove it. I have yet to meet a tenant willing to testify in court against another tenant regarding drug issues.

A property owner better be very careful about accusing someone of Illegal Drug use and not being able to prove it in court.

Many owners are scared of being countered sued, as recently happened in California, when an owner was not able to prove drug use and the court awarded damages against the owner for damaging the tenants reputation and good name.

I do not know a Landlord who would not evict a family if provided proof of Illegal Drug use from local law enforcement... the problem is Police will not do this because of liability issues...

Doh!

Ultrarunner I just saw your post

Thank you for clarifying what I just posted.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_of_Palmdale View Post
I have the solution for the City of Lancaster right here.

Don't denigrate an entire class of citizens!! Not EVERYONE on Section 8 is a problem. How did Section 8 come into being? As a means to help those who would otherwise die by society's roadside. I know wheelchair bound Section 8 recipients who greatly appreciate their rent subsidy and would never do anything to endanger that subsidy because they know what would happen - homelessness and helplessness. By the same token, I know of Section 8 recipients who use drugs, get high on drugs and/or alcohol constantly, move in undesirable unauthorized occupants, and just generally take Uncle Sam's payout totally for granted - no appreciation whatsoever. "Tenants" like these are the problem but .......

MAKE THE LANDLORDS RESPONSIBLE!! They are the ones responsible for who lives in their rental units. If the landlords/owners want to live the high life at the beach and forget that they have rental properties out here in the dust bowl of the AV, LET 'EM!! That's the problem. Make the landlords responsible for anything and everything that goes on at their rental properties.

Drug dealers? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Overcrowding? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Prostitution? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Drunks laying around the property? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Losers hanging around in front? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Broken down motor vehicles and dead lawns? Guess what? LANDLORD RESPONSIBILITY.

Issue fines. Issue no more than THREE written warnings. If the Landlord bums don't want to take care of business, take control of the property and SELL IT. Refusal/denial/inability to take care of rental properties is NO EXCUSE. If the Landlord/Owner wants to run a flop house, that should be absolute legal grounds to forfeit ownership. EASY. CITY OF LANCASTER - TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. The collective "YOU" drag your feet and wonder why the place is a sh*thole. I'm telling you why.

MAKE THE LANDLORDS RESPONSIBLE!! How much clearer can I say it? Hit the landlords/owners in the bank account and GUARANTEED - life WILL get easier when these slumlords know that they stand to lose property. They will be forced to take care of business, hire responsible managers and keep in contact daily with the goings on at their rental units. They will be forced to IMMEDIATELY serve notice on tenants who refuse to follow the rules. As it is right now, Joe Blow Landlord in Irvine doesn't give a krap about what's going on up here just so long as he/she receives the rent. Collecting rent doesn't make a landlord but making them responsible for their TENANTS will. If the landlords are afraid to deal with the loser tenants they rented to in the first place, they should be forced to either get educated or sell the property. There is way too much abuse of the Section 8 program but don't blame EVERYONE. There are decent Section 8 tenants out there for sure.

Regardless of whether or not the tenant is on Section 8, MAKE THE LANDLORD/OWNER RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON WITH THEIR PROPERTY. THE CITY SHOULD NOT BE POLICING APARTMENT BUILDINGS OR RENTAL HOUSES - THAT'S JUST RIDICULOUS.
If the landlord were made responsible for the conduct of their tenants and tried to evict on the grounds you listed, there would be 100s of lawsuits against the landlords.... discrimination, harassment, wrongful eviction etc.
multi unit buildings would have class action suits.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 AM

As I said before, the problems with rental housing begin and end with the LANDLORD. If a property owner (ANY property owner, by the way) allows his/her rental to be overrun with bad tenants and illegal activity, it is the landlord's responsibility to take care of the problem and stop the activity. In Palmdale and Lancaster (which are not "for cause" cities), the landlord does not even have to give a reason why the tenant has to get out. Just serve the appropriate 30 or 60 day notice. If the tenant doesn't get out, file UD. Pay the attorney the money needed for legal representation and get the scummy bums out!! How hard is that??? It's perfectly legal. However, the big fly in the ointment here is that the landlord may end up out of pocket for a significant sum of money in getting the bums out. Oh well!! The landlord signed up for that when he/she purchased the property. That's all part and parcel of owning a rental. Too bad the attorney charges through the nose to represent the landlord in court on a UD. IF a landlord anywhere has problem tenants dealing drugs, hanging with gangbangers, being drunk and disorderly, etc etc etc, those tenants are then a problem for the surrounding neighborhood as well. It is the landlord's responsiblity to get the bums out and screen all new tenants - if not, whose responsibility is it if the landlord doesn't take care of business?!? Whose responsibility is it if the landlord doesn't bother to check on his/her property?!? Mine??? NOT!!!!!!!! If you are a landlord who takes care of business, thank you - the collective "you" are doing what you are supposed to be doing. For all others, "thanks" for making the AV even worse than it was already. I stand by my original credo - landlords are 100% responsible for whatever goes on within the boundaries of their properties whether they like it or not. No amount of whining about the legal system is going to change my opinion. If a landlord has bums living in the rental who know how to play the system to get months and months of free rent then it sucks to be you. File the appropriate notices, pay the attorney the big bucks, play the waiting game right up to the point that the marshall puts the bums and their broken sticks of furniture on the street. THAT'S the down side of being a landlord. And, yes, the legal system DOES run this country. That's not my fault either!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 AM

P.S. Landlording isn't rocket science. Sooner or later, you will know that you have problem tenants. Your other tenants WILL complain, the police dept will let you know, other landlords will let you know, the neighbors will let you know, etc etc etc. The landlord will then have to use his/her judgment on the situation - and take ACTION. I just wanted to clarify that I would never put someone out of a rental just because the neighbors "said so". I think it stands to reason that if you have good tenants, you will know it. And vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California