Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 51,194 times

Advertisements

Someone said the police needs to step up to help with this section 8 problem, and all the drug dealing on the street corners, that would be a great start!!! We had a shooting at a house that was called in on to the hotline number. Anything change? Hell no!! Gangbangers and non working grown men still hanging out? Of course. Seems when the sheriff was called for the shooting there would be a way to tell if this was a section 8 renter and the proper authorities would have been notified. Now this is the kicker, our elderly neighbor who has lived in this neighborhood for 25 years gets a notice from code enforcement to make his lawn look "better" He lives next to the section 8 house that never got a warning about the dead lawn, overflowing trash can and piles of trash in between the house. HELLO!!! LANCASTER ARE YOU AWAKE? Maybe the new mayor will put a stop to this madness, yeah right.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:20 AM

5 posts, read 14,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-out-of-water View Post
I can see your point however, there are several young mothers who work hard, go to school and become respectful providers for their family. I have seen married couples who are in their late 20's and 30's having several children for the same reasons "to collect off of society". It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round :0)
I loved the comment made by: kettlepot
Children only have one childhood, and one chance to "get it right." If you don't pay attention to the details, or allow your child to be a pawn in someone else's social experiment gone wrong, it's not the experimenters who suffer, it is your child. It's important to do what is right for your child, and not leave him to the tender mercies of some bureaucracy whose agenda doesn't include the best possible outcome for your child.

Those were words of wisdom!!!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 PM

35 posts, read 136,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redliner View Post
Now this is the kicker, our elderly neighbor who has lived in this neighborhood for 25 years gets a notice from code enforcement to make his lawn look "better" He lives next to the section 8 house that never got a warning about the dead lawn, overflowing trash can and piles of trash in between the house. HELLO!!! LANCASTER ARE YOU AWAKE? Maybe the new mayor will put a stop to this madness, yeah right.
Maybe it was the landlord of the Section 8 who got the notice and he just ignored it. I think landlords should be responsible for the damage their tenants cause.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:52 AM

Well my advice to you tell your neighbor to go over and talk to them of course they most likely know the trash is there duhhhhh but if you say something to them they will be more inclined to do something about it or stop complaning helloooooooo!!!!!!! Gesh it's not a problem until u make it a problem get off your high horse they are human too ya think?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra56 View Post
Maybe it was the landlord of the Section 8 who got the notice and he just ignored it. I think landlords should be responsible for the damage their tenants cause.
Code Enforcement does make address errors...

Earlier this year I received a certified abatement notice for a home I own.

I immediately contacted the city and was told that I only have one "Free" correction site visit and that I needed to bring my property into compliance My property is very presentable and well maintained by me.

At my insistence, code enforcement came out to meet me. Upon arrival, the officer became apologetic... my home was not the problem... the problem was the new, vacant, bank owned home next to me. The new home didn't have any visible address... so mine was used instead

Great way to waste a bunch of my time over nothing... anyway, the inspector was decent, but, code enforcement has a "Guilty till proven innocent" policy.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 PM

182 posts, read 927,588 times
Wow! Amazing point of view. Obviously, sir, you are not familiar with statutes and renters rights and a lack of power granted to the landlord to deal with the tenant? Not to deny that there does exist a class of bad landlords known as slumlords!
How about if we make each individual acccountable for their own actions??? How about if we make the renter and sctn8 gov't folks responsible for the renters behaviors. Let's pass laws that are fair to all and alllow the landlord to control their own rental and evict in a timely manner when necessary. Laws should protect good lanlords and good tenants and allow for timely, decisive action against bad tenants and bad landlords including jail time.
You want to see privately owned rental homes disappear? Make the landlord impossibly responsible for someone else's disruptive, destructive or criminal behavior and take away the landlords' ability to do anything about it. Just continue on this path. Gov't owned and administered housing is a nightmare.
Why should the landlord be responsible for the tenants' behavior?? Send the tenant to jail for criminal behvior. Let the landlord evict for cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out_of_Palmdale View Post
I have the solution for the City of Lancaster right here.

Don't denigrate an entire class of citizens!! Not EVERYONE on Section 8 is a problem. How did Section 8 come into being? As a means to help those who would otherwise die by society's roadside. I know wheelchair bound Section 8 recipients who greatly appreciate their rent subsidy and would never do anything to endanger that subsidy because they know what would happen - homelessness and helplessness. By the same token, I know of Section 8 recipients who use drugs, get high on drugs and/or alcohol constantly, move in undesirable unauthorized occupants, and just generally take Uncle Sam's payout totally for granted - no appreciation whatsoever. "Tenants" like these are the problem but .......

MAKE THE LANDLORDS RESPONSIBLE!! They are the ones responsible for who lives in their rental units. If the landlords/owners want to live the high life at the beach and forget that they have rental properties out here in the dust bowl of the AV, LET 'EM!! That's the problem. Make the landlords responsible for anything and everything that goes on at their rental properties.

Drug dealers? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Overcrowding? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Prostitution? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Drunks laying around the property? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Losers hanging around in front? That's the LANDLORD'S responsibility.
Broken down motor vehicles and dead lawns? Guess what? LANDLORD RESPONSIBILITY.

Issue fines. Issue no more than THREE written warnings. If the Landlord bums don't want to take care of business, take control of the property and SELL IT. Refusal/denial/inability to take care of rental properties is NO EXCUSE. If the Landlord/Owner wants to run a flop house, that should be absolute legal grounds to forfeit ownership. EASY. CITY OF LANCASTER - TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. The collective "YOU" drag your feet and wonder why the place is a sh*thole. I'm telling you why.

MAKE THE LANDLORDS RESPONSIBLE!! How much clearer can I say it? Hit the landlords/owners in the bank account and GUARANTEED - life WILL get easier when these slumlords know that they stand to lose property. They will be forced to take care of business, hire responsible managers and keep in contact daily with the goings on at their rental units. They will be forced to IMMEDIATELY serve notice on tenants who refuse to follow the rules. As it is right now, Joe Blow Landlord in Irvine doesn't give a krap about what's going on up here just so long as he/she receives the rent. Collecting rent doesn't make a landlord but making them responsible for their TENANTS will. If the landlords are afraid to deal with the loser tenants they rented to in the first place, they should be forced to either get educated or sell the property. There is way too much abuse of the Section 8 program but don't blame EVERYONE. There are decent Section 8 tenants out there for sure.

Regardless of whether or not the tenant is on Section 8, MAKE THE LANDLORD/OWNER RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON WITH THEIR PROPERTY. THE CITY SHOULD NOT BE POLICING APARTMENT BUILDINGS OR RENTAL HOUSES - THAT'S JUST RIDICULOUS.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 AM

146 posts, read 369,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilers4me View Post
We have lived in lancaster since 86, my wife was here before i met her. We bought our first house in 2001 It was a great neighborhood until about a year ago. Thank you section 8 renters!!! WE now have trash in our streets, because people here in the hood do not pay for trash service. We now have dead lawns and big parties(Which the sheriffs dept gladly shuts down pretty quickly thank you!!!) We also have broken down cars in the front yards, like a pick a part lot. I need the section 8 hotline telephone number if anyone could help me out. We need help here in our neighborbood. Section 8 is really great, if you need it!!!!!
you can call the Lancaster Sheriff Dept and ask for O'neal he is the seaction 8 INVESTIGATION officer for the AV try to get pic' and videos of them doing the things you say it will help him

Old 08-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Wow that sucks for you guys and too bad it's only gonna get worse dosen't matter who you call i work for section-8 they'll get to it when they want and calling the police yeah right good luck with that it won't change anything no one cares about your problems with your neighborhood sorry about your luck but hey keep the faith ya know!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM

146 posts, read 369,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtgirl32 View Post
Wow that sucks for you guys and too bad it's only gonna get worse dosen't matter who you call i work for section-8 they'll get to it when they want and calling the police yeah right good luck with that it won't change anything no one cares about your problems with your neighborhood sorry about your luck but hey keep the faith ya know!!!!!!
by calling the police and reporting ppl doing drugs and breaking the law wont help ??? u want to bet ?? both homes on my block that are section8 the ppl have moved out for breaking the law by finding drugs in the home and more than 10 ppl liveing there sooooo it does work

Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Default good 4 u

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfam4 View Post
by calling the police and reporting ppl doing drugs and breaking the law wont help ??? u want to bet ?? both homes on my block that are section8 the ppl have moved out for breaking the law by finding drugs in the home and more than 10 ppl liveing there sooooo it does work
Well you are one of the few you must not be working if you can see all this in some one else's home sounds like somebody has too much time on their hands or is snooping your job hmmmmmmm i wonder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California