U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,640,545 times

Advertisements

Very sad news. Hawaiian big wave surfer Sion Milosky was killed while surfing Mavericks in Half Moon Bay Wednesday night ~6:00 PM. He leaves behind a wife and two daughters.

Hawaiian man killed while surfing at Mavericks

For those who have never heard of Mavericks it is one of the world premiere big wave spots. Unfortunately it is also very deadly.

Mavericks (location) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Derek
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 PM

6,664 posts, read 27,954,279 times
Who could ask for a better death? Going out in life doing what I love as much or more than my wife.
I would bet that Sion would have said he wanted to go out on a wave.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 PM

Here's the story from his surfing friends including a video of his final wave. It just seems so surreal that he surfing along one moment... then gone.

Surfer Sion Milosky's Last Days and Final Wave | The Outside Blog

Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 AM

749 posts, read 1,683,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Who could ask for a better death? Going out in life doing what I love as much or more than my wife.
I would bet that Sion would have said he wanted to go out on a wave.
No not at age 35. This is 100% tragic. Nothing good about it at all.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 AM

749 posts, read 1,683,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Here's the story from his surfing friends including a video of his final wave. It just seems so surreal that he surfing along one moment... then gone.

Surfer Sion Milosky's Last Days and Final Wave | The Outside Blog
Yeah, that final wave didn't even look THAT big, at least by Mavericks standards. But I guess the undertow is VERY strong up there.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
No not at age 35. This is 100% tragic. Nothing good about it at all.
Yeah, it's a needless death of a young man cut down in his prime. Unless suicidal I doubt he wanted to go out in this way, this soon. His beautful wife and daughters are left with only memories.

I've been surfing big California waves when someone has died in the water, and there was nothing romantic about it. Although the surf industry tries to paint it as such, some noble, glamorous or heroic exit. I think its a way to justify/excuse perpetuating the glamorous side of big wave surfing, while downplaying the dangers and tragedies when things go terribly wrong.

Here's a case in point at the same place in almost the same exact circumstances earlier this year. Another young man, Jake Trette, almost died at Mavericks. Now he is very happy to still be alive after being airlifted to Stanford Medical Center in critical condition. He looks back on it as a really bad wipeout, nothing more - certainly not a romantic or heroic event.

"I feel like I'm totally reborn," he said. "I totally appreciate my life more. I feel like taking care of my body more, eating right, taking care of my son. ... I have more respect for life." -- Surfer recalls near-death on huge wave

However I'm sure if he died there be the same attempts to put some kind of romantic spin on his death.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-19-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 PM

16,276 posts, read 28,795,264 times
Nothing cool about loosing to the wave. Mavericks gives so much but always seems to charge a toll for the ride. Others have lost it all there as well.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Nothing cool about loosing to the wave. Mavericks gives so much but always seems to charge a toll for the ride. Others have lost it all there as well.
Yeah, I think they said the conditions were unusually nasty - big and low tide. Although I don't know if it was shallow enough for him to hit bottom and get knocked out. Heck, the impact alone on some of those waves could probably knock someone out. Or at the very least knock all the wind out of you. Then with effectively no air a double wave hold down can mean the difference between life and death.

I don't think it is cool at all when someone dies in this way. But I can understand ppl have different ways dealing with death. And if it makes things easier thinking he died doing what he loves, then I can understand that. What I really don't like is how the industry tries to spin these things, like another portrayal of the cool side of surfing. If it wasn't cool in some way it wouldn't sell. When in reality it is nothing short of tragic.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-19-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 PM

34,139 posts, read 58,820,964 times
How sad. Rest in Peace.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM

4,576 posts, read 8,297,380 times
Surfing waves where you get towed by jet skis is way more dangerous than surfing what you have to paddle out too. That stuff is not natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California