Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Like I said, you're not serious.
No one is .. It's all talk
Caterpillar CEO's letter talks of leaving Illinois

If only you could hear what prominent business men think about your beloved state and other high tax states at this moment in history ... Shareholders don't care about the sun and weather.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6622796/California-It-really-is-1.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Snob (broken link)

"The direction that this state is headed in is not favorable to business and I'd like to work with you to change that....." - CEO of CAT on Illinois ...
Where have I heard this before? .. but all is well here ..

MOAR TAXES ... WE NEED MOAR ...

California is #1 and will always be everyone... You heard it here first.. *Laughs his way to the bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times
Everyone has their autism. Thinking that somehow one's life will be better, if only....... is one form.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
If only you could hear what prominent business men think about your beloved state and other high tax states at this moment in history ... Shareholders don't care about the sun and weather.

California is #1 and will always be everyone... You heard it here first..
To say it again, you're not serious, just a partisan hack. I've never suggested that "California is #1" and I have discussed business relocation issues. Its common for businesses to relocate their more or less mundane operations to a low-cost area of the country, this says very little about the viability of higher-cost areas though. Most of the research and development in this country occurs in high-cost and high-tax areas, why would that be?

Anyhow, high-cost areas are high-cost precisely because they are in demand.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Quote:
You have yet to show that I'm wrong, you have instead just created distractions. To say it again, Texas only has 3 tier 1 universities. That is a very small number for the 2nd largest state, as a result many top high school students in Texas have to look to other states if they want to receive an education by a tier 1 university. That is a brain-drain, but its also very damaging to Texas residents that have very smart kids but don't have the means to send them out of state.
Now you admit we even have Tier 1 Universities in Texas . I thought you have been spouting that we are just backwards idiots with no chance to earn a good education in Texas

3 Tier one Universities in Texas and 6 more in the making is pretty good for the State of Texas. BTW Tier 2 colleges can have better departments and programs then Tier 1 Colleges.

Let me repeat that the University of Texas system, Texas A & M, Texas Tech, SMU, South Texas College of Law, Rice University, University of Houston, University of North Texas, Baylor College of Medicine are excellent colleges.

So actually the smart kids in Texas have very good Universities to go to if they want to major in any of the Medical Professions, Math and Science, Law or Business. I suppose if they wanted to major in a Tier 1 Liberal Arts college then they should come to California.

Sorry but our good Universities are not hurting Texas at all...again you have no clue what you are talking about.

I was educated in Texas and I am very proud that I earned a science degree from the University of Texas at M.D. Anderson. That is why I am paid the big bucks here in California because they know what kind of training I have. Top it off with my work experience from the Texas Medical Center in Houston, TX. The University of Texas at M.D. Anderson is not a Tier 1 University but it is a world renowned Cancer Center with advanced research being conducted with top notch scientists, professors, doctors, nurses and education programs. So much for your Tier 1 ranking argument.

I think you should expand your horizons and quit pretending that you know what is going on at the University level in Texas. Believe me you don't have a clue.

Last edited by TVC15; 03-27-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Now you admit we even have Tier 1 Universities in Texas. I thought you have been spouting that we are just backwards idiots with no chance to earn a good education in Texas
Now? Do you have some sort of reading comprehension problem? My original claim is the same as the claim I just made: Texas only has 2 universities in the top 50 (usnews) and only 3 tier 1 universities.

Furthermore, I've never suggested kids in Texas have "no chance", instead that there aren't enough top universities in Texas to educated its own residents let alone residents from other states.

Quote:
So actually the smart kids in Texas have very good Universities to go to if they want to major in any of the Medical Professions, Math and Science, Law or Business. I suppose if they wanted to major in Tier 1 Liberal Arts college then they should come to California.
What in the world are you talking about? All the universities I've mention in California are research universities, not liberal arts colleges. The rankings I've cited are for research universities, not liberal arts colleges.

The top math, science, law, business, etc programs are either in California or New England/New York, not Texas.

Anyhow, Texas has under-funded its university system and failed to develop the sorts of intellectual environments found in California, New York, MA, etc. This doesn't mean that every institution in Texas is bad, or that every program in Texas is bad so stop pretending like it does. The side-effects of this under-funding are rather clear, Texas produces (per-capita) a small number of start-ups and innovative companies. Some Texas politicians realize this, hence why they are pushing for more spending on higher-education, but their efforts are offset by others who refuse increased spending/taxes.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:37 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Now? Do you have some sort of reading comprehension problem? My original claim is the same as the claim I just made: Texas only has 2 universities in the top 50 (usnews) and only 3 tier 1 universities.

Furthermore, I've never suggested kids in Texas have "no chance", instead that there aren't enough top universities in Texas to educated its own residents let alone residents from other states.

What in the world are you talking about? All the universities I've mention in California are research universities, not liberal arts colleges. The rankings I've cited are for research universities, not liberal arts colleges.

The top math, science, law, business, etc programs are either in California or New England/New York, not Texas.

Anyhow, Texas has under-funded its university system and failed to develop the sorts of intellectual environments found in California, New York, MA, etc. This doesn't mean that every institution in Texas is bad, or that every program in Texas is bad so stop pretending like it does. The side-effects of this under-funding are rather clear, Texas produces (per-capita) a small number of start-ups and innovative companies. Some Texas politicians realize this, hence why they are pushing for more spending on higher-education, but their efforts are offset by others who refuse increased spending/taxes.

Again you are showing your ignorance!

You are absolutely full of ****! You really need to educate yourself before making absurd statements about Texas not having enough top Universities to educate it's own residents...total BS! You have the reading comprehension problem as well as the inability to comprehend your own ignorance.

Anyhow, you can rant all you want but you are not very convincing. You have proven over and over that you are in he dark and think you are in the light...Just because you say what you think does not mean it is accurate.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
Even Texans know that Texas sucks and that's why they're always whining about everyone else. I suppose being the butt of so many jokes, even if it is well deserved as it is in Texas's case, got to them after a while.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Even Texans know that Texas sucks and that's why they're always whining about everyone else. I suppose being the butt of so many jokes, even if it is well deserved as it is in Texas's case, got to them after a while.

Texas does not suck and who on earth is whining about everyone else? The jokes are just that jokes! Actually I think San Diego sucks. I am thankful that I did not take that lowly paying job 2 yeas ago. The reason I did not was that San Diego appeared to be a dump to me. Once you got over the awe of it then you begin to see the dump that it really is. I am thankful that I took the opportunity in Northern California with a 21K higher offer!

Last edited by TVC15; 03-28-2011 at 12:33 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,997 times
Quote:
Again you are showing your ignorance!

You are absolutely full of ****! You really need to educate yourself before making absurd statements about Texas not having enough top Universities to educate it's own residents...total BS! You have the reading comprehension problem as well as the inability to comprehend your own ignorance.

Anyhow, you can rant all you want but you are not very convincing. You have proven over and over that you are in he dark and think you are in the light...Just because you say what you think does not mean it is accurate.
There is nothing to be achieved here TVC15. I have spoken enough on the tax issue here. It is a standalone topic. There is no need and never was a need to bring another state into the fold yet lots of CA cheer leaders felt a need to do so in order to detract from CA's problems. California has tax/spending problems all on its own. Businesses will do what they have to do in this tough economic period. We have shed light on the woes of business owners due to taxes. We have shed light on the insane public worker compensation. We have shed light on the luxurious handouts. We have shed light on the illegal immigration problem. We have shed light on the horrid state of K-12 education due to immigration. We have shed light on the corruption. If there is a vote on tax extensions, I have done my part on this board, other online-boards, w/ co-workers, and in local community discussions to get people to see the light.

That's the only actionable item up on the board. There are personal action items that I will take up based on observations . I have done my research. I have consulted w/ business people. I have consulted w/ lawyers. I have consulted with friends. It is a decision based on facts/hard data and it will not be changed. As wont the minds of business people who have done theirs.

California's issues will remain nonetheless and it will have to tackle them if it hopes for long term economic stability. Illinois choose to jam taxes through the roof. Business owners have relocated their families to lower tax states and are trying to relocate their businesses .. Many others are in the beginning process of courting other states for a possible movement... Hiking taxes here when taxes are already high isn't the answer. This started out about Carl's Jr. and got personal. There is no need. This started out about CA and its fiscal issues and somehow there was a need to take a crap on other states ... For what? California's issues still remain regardless. While I am here, I will fight to change them ... I will not, however, continue to waste time on idiots. So, I am done on this thread.

Businesses leave and people say to hell w/ them.. More will come.
And taxes increase..... More businesses leave.. and people say.. More will come.... and taxes increase... Illegal Immigrants jam up in here as well as a wealth of jobless leechers....
California Debt - Unemployment payouts push California deeper into debt - Los Angeles Times
California unemployment insurance program broke and facing expensive default, auditor says | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times
And taxes increase... Someone says this is a fiscal issue... The pom poms come out ... If you don't like CA leave... and more leave... Handouts increase .. subsidization increases which only serves to jack up the floor of afford-ability and thus cost of living goes up.. Someone says, hey, my tax dollars are being confiscated and used to inflate my cost of living.. Someone says, it's demand stupid .... If you don't like it.. Can't afford it .. GTFO ... and more people leave... and more subsidy babies come in... This goes on and on... and the pom pom wavers cheer louder and louder. Until someone points out .. the game is over .. your team lost 2-3 years ago... And that is how it will go.

Californian's have an opportunity to put down the pom-pom's .. embrace this state's reality .. embrace their future ... If they don't... I guess they can keep wishing on a star that the talent will keep loving lower standards of living for 10-12 hour days of hard work .. but its likely that people w/ intelligence will grow tired of this. If they don't, they deserve every penny of their income to be confiscated to enrich the lives of others.

There will be some who decide this is outrageous. There will be others who will embrace it. Different strokes for different folks. Life goes on and if someone is happy.. if a state decides to be happy w/ such a situation.. let em be.. I'll just not be a part of the party.

So, I agree to disagree and am leaving it at that.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 AM

253 posts, read 349,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

...I've lived in many states... IMO, there are far more jokes about California and Californians, than there are about Texas and Texans. Truth is, the jokes about California are usually backed up by factual data (please note, I don't write this with glee; I chose to come back here...)

...as to the topic... I know, how silly of me... But should we not discuss ways in which to make companies/corporations want to come/stay in California?

...Obviously, if they have been leaving, the weather has not been enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California